Please help me.

Options
There is not a single type of exercise that I enjoy doing. I have tried countless videos, bootcamps, Zumba, boxing, personal training, running, rowing, spinning... You name it, I've tried it. Some things lasted longer than others, but when it gets down to it, I really really hate exercising. What is wrong with me? I just want to be fit, but I hate what it takes to get there.

Replies

• Riotactor10
    Options
    what about finding a friend to walk around town with and talk to?

are you into video games? you could play some games on the Wii?

maybe tailor your activity in with your hobbies...
  • 87beckyRN
    87beckyRN Posts: 34
    Options
    I agree! I thought Zumba would be fun. I hate it. I go to the gym and don't really like it, but I've found that if I have my ipod, the music keeps me occupied enough to get in a pretty good workout. I don't dislike it as much as I did when I first started.
    I definitely understand though. I hope you find something you like!
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You could try Wii fitness games. There is a game that has baseball, fencing, bowling, tennis etc. It's super fun but you have to put in effort to get sweaty, sore, and out of breath. My boyfriend and I always have competitions to see who can win the most games, its so fun and doesn't feel like a workout.

p.s.- just because you don't like something doesn't mean its not good for you. Sometimes I literally have to force and drag myself to the gym. I hate it. I hate getting sweaty. I hate getting sore. I hate people watching me. I hate how hot they keep it in there. But I GO. I HAVE to go if I really want to lose weight.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How long have you tried doing them? If exercise were fun from the get go, everyone would be thin. I used to honestly hate being at the gym. It took about a month of consistently going for me to actually start enjoying it.
  • sierracanbe
    Options
    hehehe you make me giggle. exercising totally sucks, sometimes, i agree.
    but there's still hope :D
    even something as low-impact as stretching will help you burn calories. stretch for 20mins a day, or practice yoga.
    there's also swimming! swimming is a major workout with very low impact. plus, it's fun :3
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for about 6 months now and have formed a habit of it. I don't enjoy running and exercise but I know it's good for my health. Each day I must force myself into they gym. Even though I've developed a habit, I could (with the snap of a finger) be out of that habit. Just a few days of eating fast food and not working out-boom, I'm off track.

I feel your pain but you must be in the correct mental mindset to keep going forward. My secret is watching tv while on the elliptical. Time seems to go by quickly for me that way.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You probably need a variety too cause you get bored. Like someone else said you should probably try doing something with a friend then it may not seem as much like exercise and more of a social thing. The Wii fit also offers a wide variety. I would try to mix it up though cause if you do the same thing all the time and you don't like exercise you will get bored and lose motivation.
  • smurph8427
    Options
    Walking is very good for you and if you have an ipod to listen to it's even better. I have started walking and find it a great time to reflect, think, and pray. I am 47 years old and I have a herniated disk in my back so I cannot run or do many other exercises due to the pain. But, walking is something I can do. I just found this website today but started my weight loss/walking program back in February and I have lost 25lbs so far. Anything you can do to move will be beneficial to your goal. Good luck and don't quit trying to find what you enjoy! :)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Wear a pedometer and go shopping! ;) It is amazing how much a person can walk at the grocery store and mall. And if you push a heavy food cart, you can count it as pushing a child in a stroller. It can be addicting. I have a pedometer on my cell phone. I get my movement measured and walk to various sites in the game section. I am 3% of the way across the USA, right now.
    Have fun! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Do you dance, dancing is great exercise and it's fun, what about bowling another great way to exercise. Time to think outside the "exercise" box.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are going at it from the wrong frame of mind. Rather than thinking you need to "exercise", why don't you just try being more active. Instead of doing stationary things like watch TV - get out and do active things. Go for walks, or hiking, or water skiing or snow skiing...whatever you are into. But, be active. Do things for fun that require movement.

Good luck!

- Lisa
  • hm4xmas
    hm4xmas Posts: 5
    Options
    this is gonna sound harsh, but you HAVE to exercise to lose weight and be healthy and there's no way around it. the rewards far outweigh how much it might suck to you to work out now. i'm sorry. please don't give up. hang in there. you may find that once the weight drops, you'll be addicted to the workouts! I'm on your side.
  • Slimntrim90
    Options
    I have hated exercise also, but finally figured out that exercising makes my body produce endorphins...........endorphins make me feel good overall. It takes time and persistence, but it is doable to learn to love exercise! People actually become addicted to the endorphins. I am almost 58 years old and I have never been good with exercise until the last year or so. I have to take ibuprophen before working out because of some pain in my knees, but it is worth it. Make a committment to work out everyday for at least two weeks then see if you like it better.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    You're not alone sweetie. It took me 3 years to start a love affair with the elliptical. Now I cheat on it all the time, but it still takes me back. The fact that you KEEP TRYING is all that counts. I figured out my love for the elliptical channel surfing while swirling away on it. I started playing little games with myself like "Food Network Roulette" where I'll guess how many calories are in a dish before they start cooking it. Then I would do the math with every cup of whole fat whipping cream and see how close I can get. When that got boring I would turn to the Travel channel and leave the sound off. I would make my own story line with whomever was my current man crush. If I could only share half the places Colin Firth and I have visited *sigh*

Find YOUR version of fun. Be silly. Someone that really motivates me to be fun and work out is www.mizfit.com.
  • jmcowan
    jmcowan Posts: 1
    Options
    I think some of it has to do with your mentality: you don't want to exercise so you are preventing yourself from getting anywhere. You are setting yourself up for failure.

Have you tried anything that isn't necessarily considered exercise? Baseball, volleyball, bowling, soccer/football, golf, and even paintball could work. Maybe start a weekly game of something with your friends/coworkers to get you active? I just looked into climbing a rock wall at a place local to me. It breaks up the monotony of going to the gym.

Is there anyone to help you along with your exercising or at least accompany you? One of my friends has recently started accompanying me when I go to the gym and it is much more fun than going by myself.

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • suckingalemon
    Options
    I totally get where all of you are coming from. I'm 28, but have been battling with my weight since the age of 16. And when I say I've done everything, I really mean it.

When I was 21, I worked out with a trainer three days a week for four months and lost 28 lbs. Even when I was feeling stronger and proud of myself, I NEVER looked forward to exercising. In fact, I usually dreaded it.

Two years ago, I did a "Biggest Loser" contest with some of the people that I worked with. For 6 weeks, I exercised every single day with trainers and went to spin classes and bootcamps. I lost 18 lbs and came in second place, but I still hated exercise (even though I looked amazing and felt really strong).

My job is very physical. I spend my days on my feet shopping for many hours at a time and lugging large bags of clothes. When I'm not working, though, I do spend a lot of time on the couch. :/

And I've tried Wii Fit. The balance board now resides permanently under my sofa.

Maybe I have a chemical imbalance or something? Like, maybe my body doesn't create endorphins when I exercise. I don't think I've ever experienced a "runner's high"... just shin splints and tight, aching calves.
  • VBtim180
    VBtim180 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Music, Music, Music is the answer. Without some Jams to listen to and GET me moving I would'nt be able to. Beacuse exercise leaves your mind free to wander. and thats what you do. You think to yourself " self, this sucks, I'm bored, its too HOT Blah blah Blah " then you see some gym rat looking hot as you know what and you think " why doesnt she go home. She doesnt even need to be here. She a TWIG! get out of my sight"

But put together a list of songs that Rock and you can just work out imagine yourself running down the street and up the steps to take your place next to Rocky. there is nothing you cant do.
    Good luck !
  • suckingalemon
    Options
    Oh yeah, and all of my friends are skinny. And they live really far from me. I was trying to do couch25k with a friend of mine, and we've never been able to just coordinate a time to get together to do it.
  • suckingalemon
    Options
    Hmmm... swimming. I like that idea.

Although bathing suit? Not so much.

But maybe I'll try it!
  • Kristin9902
    Kristin9902 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way too. But once you start, you just have to stick with it, then it becomes a routine and a habit. You can do, you have all of us here at MFP to help you along!