Food Diary Question?

Options
I have been tracking my food pretty much everyday with the exception of a few. I have notice when looking back that I am unsually under my calorie goal but I go over on the fat and protein. So should I focus on all aspects of each group or just worry with my calorie intake each day? Thanks for any input or suggestions. Please free to add me (please include how you came across my profile when you request me as a friend).

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really only focus on the the calories. For the most part I am pretty close to the other numbers but occasionally go over. But, for me, I think it would be way to difficult to keep track of all of them and meet them all. I did a diet once where I only kept track of the Fats, Proteins, and Carbs...it worked for a little while but it got real frustrating quick. It was just too much for met to keep track of.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about protein, but I would definitely keep an eye of the fat!
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    In addition to the calories, I watch fats and sugars. I used to track fiber & sodium, but I was always way under for sodium and over for fiber.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think getting the calories under control is the important place to start. If you are eating healthy food with not too much processed stuff the other numbers shouldn't be a big issue yet. Later on, if you aren't losing weight or start doing a seriously large amount of exercise you can come back to these.

The ratio of protein:fat:carbs is always up for debate and everyone will have their own viewpoint on what is best. Lots of people will tell you that MFP sets protein too low and carbs too high, so I wouldn't worry about going over a little on protein.

If you find you are consistently over on fat I would have a look at your diary and see where the fat is coming from. If it is from chocolate and icecream and chips, then you might want to cut back. If it is from almonds, avocado, olive oil etc then I wouldn't be too concerned unless it is really high, then you could look at replacing some of these food with others that have less fat.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium/potassium due to my blood pressure issues. I'm noticing the other numbers to see how unbalanced my diet is so I can adjust as needed.

Your fat/carbs/protein may be way off if you're following a specific diet (low-carb). See what kind of fats you're eating. Are they the healthy kinds?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I keep track of everything. The mobile app allows you to track absolutely everything at once, so it's pretty easy. My most important categories are fat, carbs, protein, sodium, potassium, and calcium. It takes a while to find what kinds of foods get you to the right ratios.