Runners - Help!

Options
westgre
westgre Posts: 55 Member
I'm on wk 7 day 3 of C25K. I just started having minor knee pain on the right side. I have a small bunion on my right foot and suspect I overpronate slightly on the right foot only. When I went to the running store, they fitted me for cushioning/neutral shoes. I'm wondering, can I place a stability insert in just my right shoe to see if that helps? If not, I've read some on patellofemoral pain syndrome, which sounds consistent with my symptoms. All the conflicting advice is a little overwhelming. Any recommendations?

Replies

• wykesp
    wykesp Posts: 4
    Options
    Where in your knee does it hurt? OFten times that is caused by tightness in the IT Band (runs along the lateral side of your thigh). That pain would be located on the outside of your knee. The other common issue is tightness on one side of the him that can cause an imbalance in how you walk or run. The simple solution is to try and do some more stretching for the IT band or quads . And then stretching the Piriformis on both sides. The yoga position "pigeon pose" stretches the Piriformis muscle which is deep in the hip under the glutes. Make sure to ice after running and consult your Dr. if it continues beyond a week or two. Often a week or 2 of Physical Therapy can make it get better much faster!

PW
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    i had patella tendinitus last summer and now i wear a tensor or a petella band just under my knee, i find it helps a lot! goodluck