What would YOU do?

Options
superstah00
superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
What would YOU do? I am in a wedding in June of 2012. We have to order the dress now because it is going out of stock. Should I order the size I am now and hope someone can alter it???? Or, order a size smaller maybe?? I know I'm going to lose a LOT more weight by then. But I'm concerned if I order it too small, I won't fit. And, I don't want to ruin my friend's wedding by looking like crap lol.

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I would order the size you are now and then get it altered if needed
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    That's a tough one but I say order maybe a size smaller since it's a year away and bridesmaid dresses can always be taken in anyway.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, and altering dresses can be expensive, bud I'd probably get what size you are now...you never know what can happen in 1year. Worst case scenario either you have to get the dress altered because it is too big or it fits. If you buy a size too small it may not be as easy to alter. That's a tough question...I hope you get lots more answers to help!
  • RoseCoreling
    RoseCoreling Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would order the size you are now and then get it altered if needed
    this exactly..you can ALWAYS take a dress in..might as well fit it for you now and you can always get it altered..pretty cheaply too
  • superstah00
    Options
    oh and I had the seamstress who I'm going to have alter it look at it, and she said if I have to alter it TOO much it will mess up part of the rouching on the side of the dress...ahhhhh:huh:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to get one taken in, than have it let out. Order the size you are now
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    I would order it 1 size smaller and that will be your motivation to keep going during the year but I would imagine you would lose even more weight and they can take it in even more. Use that wedding as your motivation!!!
  • Sherri0706
    Sherri0706 Posts: 64
    Options
    Find someone who does alterations now and ask them what they suggest. Sometimes a dress can only be taken in so much.
  • Hildabean
    Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would order the size your in now. Its always better to think downsizing that upsizing when it comes to alterations (my mom is a seemstress) When you downsize your taking materal away which is easy to do and no problems....but when you try to upsize you have to find materal that matches your dress and 9 times out of 10 your dress doesnt come out like it should. I hope I am not confusing you....Basically I would order your dress in the size you are in now and get it altered right before the wedding. Also when choosing an seemstress your better off going to a private person rather than through the store you bought it in due to stores charge A LOT more than your neighborhood seemstress.
    Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss!!!
    God Bless
  • Halld9
    Halld9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Order the size you are now. It is a lot easier to take a dress in than let it out. It is very hard and expensive to add material to a dress.
  • jlm1182
    jlm1182 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm a tailor so I can tell you from experience its MUCH easier to take a dress in than let it out . Get your current size now and get refitted later.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would order the size you are now and have it altered later. It would be a lot more fun to have to "complain" about how much too big the dress is than to feel horrible because it's too small.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    All that being said, I might ven talk to the bride and see if she would consider waiting 6 months to order her brides maids dresses. Tell her your dilemma. There may be a new style then that she totally loves - but you all have your dresses so it would e too late.
  • Hildabean
    Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Go to another seemstress...there are plenty out there... My mom took a size 16 Wedding dress (fully loaded with beads and plenty of design) and resized it to a size 8. Another time she took an adult dress and made it fit an 8yr old.....It CAN be done you just have to find the right person!
  • superstah00
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! The bride knows my dilemma, we can't wait long to order them because it is going out of stock and one of the bridesmaids already ordered the dress so we have to get this one. Thanks for letting me know it CAN be altered without messing it up! I feel a bit better now :)
  • mental_release
    Options
    <attempt_at_humor>Find a guy, get engaged and set the date before hers so *she* is *your* brides maid and has the problem instead??</attempt_at_humor>

--MR
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    even if it has to be completely pulled apart and re-cut, i would suggest getting your current size. that way at least you have a base to alter in the same material as the other girls. make it your motivation - at least you can't get bigger until then!!
  • superstah00
    Options
    I've been married for 8 yrs..no wedding for me LOL
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Judging from when you joined and how much you've lost and how much more you hope to lose, I'd say there is NO way you're going to be anywhere near your current size by next year. A size smaller would NOT hurt, and you'll probably still need to get it altered.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Wow, June 2012? That's like a year from now:/ How much more weight do you want to lose?