Sugar Grams per day??

Options
jvkh127
jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
I am allocated 36 grams of sugar per day. Does this sound too high or too low to anybody?? I am researching it and finding alot of mixed results cannot get a specific answer. Anyone have any input on this??
Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Replies

• Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, too!
  • jlm1182
    jlm1182 Posts: 19
    Options
    I personally try to keep my sugar intake as low as possible and mostly from natural sources like fruit. If you like reading there's some really good books out there on sugar. Suicide by Sugar by Nancy Appleton PhD is an informative read.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Use this:

Total Sugar - Fruit/Vegetable Sugar = Net added sugar

Total sugar is what shows up on MFP. Add up all the sugar from fruits and veggies you eat, and subtract this total from the total total. This gives you your Net added sugar.

You should be eating as little as possible of this (25g or 100 cals of this sugar max). Ideally, your net added sugar should be zero.
  • soonpass
    soonpass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I try to watch my sugar as well. The only issue I have is that MPF does not distinguish added sugar VS natural sugars ei milk, banana, apple..... I have just been limiting my added sugars (sweets, processed foods) and if the numbers are off I do not fret.

That's my 2 cents, I would love to hear the correct answer if there is any!
  • jvkh127
    Options
    Use this:

Total sugar is what shows up on MFP. Add up all the sugar from fruits and veggies you eat, and subtract this total from the total total. This gives you your Net added sugar.

You should be eating as little as possible of this (25g or 100 cals of this sugar max). Ideally, your net added sugar should be zero.

So only sugar from fruits and veggies are natural sugars? not sugar in milk or peanut butter say? I am totally ignorant about that stuff please excuse me :smile:
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    not sugar in milk or peanut butter say? I am totally ignorant about that stuff please excuse me :smile:

I believe any sugar in peanut butter is added in. Not sure though...?
  • jmschweer
    jmschweer Posts: 7
    Options
    Use this:

So only sugar from fruits and veggies are natural sugars? not sugar in milk or peanut butter say? I am totally ignorant about that stuff please excuse me :smile:

I'm wondering this as well. 1 glass of 1% milk contains 15 grams of sugar! That leaves very little room for me to take in any more sugar for the day. (MFP has my daily goal at 25 grams)
  • jvkh127
    Options
    Use this:

I'm wondering this as well. 1 glass of 1% milk contains 15 grams of sugar! That leaves very little room for me to take in any more sugar for the day. (MFP has my daily goal at 25 grams)

EXACTLY!!! If I have milk with cereal or my protein shake then I am almost done for the entire day forget about fruits or veggies!!!
  • cupotee
    Options
    Edit: Ok, I hauled out my huge *kitten* macronutrients textbook to make sure my response is correct (about the milk and peanut butter). If you hate reading, scroll down to the THEREFORE on the bottom :)

The way I see it, there are two major reasons to avoid ADDED sugar:

1. Sugars are "empty" calories, bringing no vitamins/minerals. Complex carbs have B-vitamins, proteins have essential amino acids, etc. Sugars have nothing. They only provide excess energy, which makes us fat.

2. Toxicity of fructose. Fructose can only be used by liver cells, which means it promotes metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance (BAD THINGS). In the US, High Fructose Corn Syrup is the most common sweetener, meaning our ADDED sugar has a high ratio of fructose to glucose.

Fructose is naturally found in all fruits and vegetables, but it is accompanied by fiber (in general, the sweeter the fruit, the higher its fiber content) which lowers the absorption rate of fructose. Fructose WITHOUT fiber though, as in ketchup or coke, is fully absorbed and turned into fat and wrecks the liver and blah blah blah.

Milk contains no fructose. Therefore, the only reason you wouldn't drink it is due to fear of reason #1. Which also does not pertain, because milk is nutritious.

THEREFORE: Milk sugar is deductible. Add it in with the fruit/vegetable sugar.

Peanut butter, I'm afraid, contains added sugars (usually in the form of dextrose).

Generally, any sweet food that comes in a jar/box/plastic bag/carton probably has added sugar. Check the ingredients list for: glucose (aka dextrose), sucrose (table sugar/sugar), fructose (fruit sugar), high fructose corn syrup (corn syrup with more fructose than glucose), corn syrup solids (dehydrated corn syrup)... yeah. Anything that ends with -ose. (rhymes with gross hahaha jk its delicious).

Hope this helped ladies :)
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    I too tried to do some research on it. I'm doing ISAgenix and losing weight on it, but after breakfast my sugars are already over the limit. I think the sugar grams per day is too low. Again, I'm still trying to research it myself. Let me know if, you find anything.
    Thanks!:))))
  • jvkh127
    Options
    Ok, I hauled out my huge *kitten* macronutrients textbook to make sure my response is correct (about the milk and peanut butter):

1. Sugars are "empty" calories, bringing no vitamins/minerals. Complex carbs have B-vitamins, proteins have essential amino acids, etc. Sugars have nothing. They only provide excess energy, which makes us fat.

2. Toxicity of fructose. Fructose can only be used by liver cells, which means it promotes metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance (BAD THINGS). In the US, High Fructose Corn Syrup is the most common sweetener, meaning our ADDED sugar has a high ratio of fructose to glucose.

Fructose is a naturally occuring sugar found in all fruits.

Okay wait now I am confused...Fructose promotes "bad things" but it is a naturally occuring sugar found in all fruits....so how are fruits good for you then?? I always heard the sugar in fruit is better than added sugars....am I understanding this wrong??
  • jenuwein1
    jenuwein1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not sure what the limit should be for the day...but I was told by a nutritionist...that when reading labels never buy/eat anything with more than 6gms of sugar. I don't eat any "sweets", but I do read labels and it's amazing what a difference one brand can have over another brand in many foods. One protein shake or bar may have 12-18gms of sugar, but for example Pure Protein brand has only 0-3gms! Big difference! And they taste great! :)
    Fruits are a healthy alternative to other sweets...but too much of anything isn't good I suppose...
    :)
  • jvkh127
    Options
    Ok, I hauled out my huge *kitten* macronutrients textbook to make sure my response is correct (about the milk and peanut butter):

Fructose is a naturally occuring sugar found in all fruits.

Okay wait now I am confused...Fructose promotes "bad things" but it is a naturally occuring sugar found in all fruits....so how are fruits good for you then?? I always heard the sugar in fruit is better than added sugars....am I understanding this wrong??

Okay just saw your edit on the post I think I understand now....Thanks so much!!!! Very informative!!!
  • cupotee
    Options
    No problem :D glad I helped.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    One thing to note, it depends one what kind of peanut butter you are talking about. Natural peanut butter has nothing but peanuts and salt or just peanuts. It's only the "ready to spread" peanut butters that either have oils added to keep it ready to spread or have added sugars like molasses, etc.

Personally I am peanut butter junkie but I made the switch to completely natural versions and don't miss the old stuff. It does require some stirring, refrigeration (after opening) but once you get used to the lack of sugars it actually tastes better because the peanut taste is much stronger. Also you will use less of it because it spreads a bit thinner. Where as "spreadable" can be spread as thick as you please.

It's too bad that MFP doesn't distinguish between the sources and types of sugars. But I completely agree, I try to keep my sugars in general low but if I am over and it is due to fruits and vegetables I don't sweet it.

Besides there are times when you need insulin spiking sugars like that in bananas or grapes, such as post workout recovery protein drink needs those sugars to do it is job.