Excess Skin Removal Surgery...

Options
is there anyone else that would like to have that surgery? I use to weigh a lot and once I reach my goal that is one thing I really want to do! I tell my mom that and she gets really POed and says I don't need that surgery... but I want it more then anyone can immagine... I've proved her wrong about so many things and that she doesn't like to be wrong (and I told her that) and she just says that no, I don't like to be wrong... IDK I am determined one day to get that surgery.

Replies

• josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have a tummy tuck fund that I put money in to every month. Hopefully I won't need surgery but I'm saving money just in case.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am of two minds.

If it were me: it would depend on how much extra skin I had and how much it actually bothered me. I am not a fan of elective plastic surgery. But, if I lost a couple hundred lbs and had lots of skin sagging, then I would almost consider it reconstructive.

If it were my son: I would be a little more skeptical because I worry about him more than I worry about me. I would want him to be happy with himself. If this would make him happy I would support him, but I would be really worried.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling. i have lost 64 lb and already have some loose/sagging skin. I plan on losing another 50 lbs, so I knwo it will be worse then. And no matter how much you exercise and tone, when the skin has been overstreched, it wont go back. So yes, I plan on having some type of plastic surgery to correct this issue.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You are a young person and you have done a truly fantastic job of getting weight off. You deserve to look terrific. I think the good news is that if you maintain your slim weight for the next few years, the skin may shrink back to quite a large extent. Not such good news for us "oldies" though. Hang in there.... there might not be that much to remove! In any case, its your choice what you do with your body... as you have proven.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I plan to get it when I reach my goal. My doctor has actually told me it will be a necessity! I have contacted a burn center near by and will be "donating" the skin to be used for burn victims. It will still cost me approx $2500 to do so, but that is 1/2 of what I was quoted by a plastic surgeon and my skin will be used for a good cause so to me it is a double bonus!
  • MaryLou0112
    Options
    my thoughts is this... if you are going to lose alll this weight, why not be comfortable in your own skin... if that means having some surgery done, then do it! what matters most is how you feel when you look in the mirror :) i would/plan on doing it if i feel the same way when i get to where i need to be
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I plan to get it when I reach my goal. My doctor has actually told me it will be a necessity! I have contacted a burn center near by and will be "donating" the skin to be used for burn victims. It will still cost me approx $2500 to do so, but that is 1/2 of what I was quoted by a plastic surgeon and my skin will be used for a good cause so to me it is a double bonus!

That is a great idea!!!
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options

That is a great idea!!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Saw the most amazing guy on Facebook yesterday - he had just had the surgery done , after losing something like 400 lbs - some very graphic images....

https://www.facebook.com/fleshandcolor.....his name is dewayne flowers
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    There can be some consequence in not removing the excess skin - like chaffing and rashes during exercise. Although you are very young and may be able to get more skin tone back, I think you should do what makes you feel good... One warning, most cosmetic surgery won't be covered by insurance (unless it's deemed medically necessary due to underlying causes), so you may want to start saving money now to help pay for it.
    Once I meet my goal - and have maintained it for 6-9 months, I'm going to do some serious thinking about a tummy tuck - and maybe arms too.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options

This is an awesome Idea! I had removal a few years ago but the DR said I am going to need a full tummy tuck when I finish losing all my weight. Back then they removed 8 lbs of skin. I wish I had thought about donating that skin. But when I have it done again I will donate for sure.