Getting Enough Calories in this Heat...

Options
I'm having trouble getting enough calories, and keeping them in the proper dietary classifications...especially proteins, in this heat...when it's this hot, it kills my appetite, especially for heavy proteins...Fats and carbs are easier...but I'm trying to balance my carbs and proteins at about the same level...take for today...I was 460 under my calorie goal, 96 under my carb. goal, and 88 under my protein goal...I did go over my fat goal by 30 and my salt by 400...

Is anyone else having this trouble with the heat affecting their diet and hunger levels???

Replies

• Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem when I'm out and it's hot. You might try some cold proteins, like a bean salad, quinoa salad, or tuna salad. I find they go down a bit easier than something like a steak or chicken breast. I also get significant amounts of protein from dairy such as yogurt and low-fat milk. You could even do a smoothie with frozen fruits, some Greek yogurt, and a scoop of protein powder (I usually use whey, but any plain one would work).

I also usually end up eating more during the cooler parts of the day, like early morning or late evening, and mostly fruits and veggies with a few nuts during the hotter parts of the day.

Hope you find something that works for you.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    on the plus side, it is usually easier to lose weight in the summer because peoples appetites naturally reduce.
    I certainly wouldnt be trying to eat over and above your appetite if its slightly lower at the moment, unless there is some specific reason for doing so, like trying to bulk up etc
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find that I don't feel like eating so much when it's really hot (wish it was hot now, I'm in winter!), but I think it's important to stay within reasonable range of your calorie goal. Not that you want to stuff yourself if you don't feel like it, but my personal opinion is that my body needs to learn that it is getting a regular amount of food, and I try not to go too low or too high.

Maybe look at smaller meals/snacks more often, or add in a few higher calorie things - salad with avocado or cheese, whole milk with cocoa and cinnamon (my alternative to prepackaged chocolate milk), smoothie with yoghurt and banana - that kind of stuff.
  • Franticantics
    Options
    Oh i can't wait for my summer holiday because of the reduced appetite, i've never actually tracked my calories on holiday but I think its probably shockingly under, a usual day would be melon and a yogurt for breakfast, melon and or pineapple at lunch, and then a bit of grilled fish and lots of salad for dinner...and walking all the time.
    I've usually lost a good 5lbs after a holiday! Enjoy it :)