Cup of ?

Options
ThaiKaren
ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
Hope someone can help, looking at a recipe and it says a cup of this and a cup of that, how much is in a cup? I have scales and I come across this cup thing quite a lot.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live and where your recipe is from :)
    In Australia, a cup is 250 mls, but I beleiee in the US it is 230 ml (which is probably around 8 ounces, I'm sure someone can correct me if this is wrong)
    It's not simple to convert a cup measurement to grams or ounces because different foods have different volume to weight ratios.
    I'd suggest invest in some measuring cups, or if that doesn't work for you, google a different recipe so you have weights instead of cup measures.
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    One cup is equal to 48 teaspoons or 8 fluid ounces. Or one cup to 237 ml. I hope that helps.
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    Also measuring cup or the small measuring cup set is very cheap in the usa and I would try and pick some up because a scale can only do so much.
  • jayne2304
    jayne2304 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have asked the team to see if they can put more of the other measurements on the site for each item but does not seem to have happened yet - I think more of us need to request this
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You cannot measure a cup with a scale. A scale is used to measure weight. A cup is used to measure volume. Just as you would not weigh a teaspoon of something, you would not weigh a cup. Just get a decent measuring cup or two and you will be set. They can be had for as cheap as a dollar or two.