So glad I bought an HRM

Options
rorosaw
rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
Got an HRM (Polar FT7) last week. So glad I did. Getting a much more accurate read on the calories I'm burning during my workouts. Thought some people who are thinking about buying an HRM might like to see some results. This morning I did incline walking on the treadmill. After warming up, I did a lot of the workout at 15% incline @ 4.0 mph. Several times, I went down to 0% incline for a while to give myself a break. Not sure how many times but I didn't do the 15% incline even close to the entire time.

Here are the results:

From the Polar HRM:

Duration: 01:16:34
Calories Burned: 749
Average Heart Rate: 152
Maximum HR: 173
Fat Burn: 00:04:19
Fitness: 01:12:15

From the Treadmill Display:
Duration: 01:14:42
Calories Burned: 1004
Distance: 4.11 miles

The difference was 255 less calories burned than what the treadmill display showed.

It's nice to know what I'm really burning.

Ok, now I need a nap. I'm tired :)

Have a great day, MFPals.

--Ro

Replies

• sarahq21
    sarahq21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for showing the comparison! I am thinking about getting one and this has given me more reason too!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my HRM!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    This is why I always under estimate my burned calories! I would really like a HRM someday.
  • ljess
    ljess Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a polar FT80 and had it since xmas, i love it..... :) x
  • spiceshirl
    spiceshirl Posts: 177
    Options
    Well done I told all my friends that's what I want for my birthday on July 3rd! I will own one soon. Thank you for taking a burn for the team! You can rest now you deserve it!!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I have the FT7 too and love it! I found the same thing, that the machine displays and MFP calculators were quite a bit off compared to my HRM, in most cases between 200-300 calories. I never used to eat all of my exercise calories anyway, but now this really keeps me in check by knowing what I'm really burning during my workouts.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    After I got mine, my treadmill was UNDER what my HRM said. Good for me when I didn't have my HRM.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Can I be really cheeky and ask how much they are.
  • rorosaw
    Options
    Forgot to mention that the treadmill picked up my HRM and was showing my heart rate during the whole workout. The treadmill was off by some points on and off the whole time, but all in all it was showing about the same hr as the HRM.
  • rorosaw
    Options

I got the Polar FT7 for about $100 dollars. There are many HRMs out there, some less expensive, some more.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The prices vary, depending on the features you want. Definitely do research and comparison shopping on the web. I recently bought a Polar FT7 (polar web-site lists @ $120) on-line for $58. I found a sale and a coupon (and free shipping).
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I got the FT7 for about $100 too, but as others mentioned there are lots of different ones, but I wouldn't go with a super cheap one just to save money because I think you may end up spending more in the long run to replace it.
  • rorosaw
    Options
    The prices vary, depending on the features you want. Definitely do research and comparison shopping on the web. I recently bought a Polar FT7 (polar web-site lists @ $120) on-line for $58. I found a sale and a coupon (and free shipping).

Damn, Bubs--will you be my personal shopper? ;-)
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Got my ft7 today and used it at zumba tonight. 612 calories for an hour. Well impressed as I didn't think it was that much.