The last little bit

Options
My background information.
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 162 lbs.
I am finishing my first cycle of P90X in 10 days, and I plan on starting another cycle shortly after. Overall I have lost about 15 lbs. since I started the program. I have been tracking my diet here on MFP for several weeks, and prior to that on other websites. I maintain a 40/40/20 ratio at about 2400-2600 calories per day. This range is about what I need to maintain my current weight (or lose fractions). I was hitting 2100-2200 for the first 70 days, which is when I lost the majority of my weight.

My question is this: What should I do to finish off the last few percentage points of body fat? I don't care about the numbers on the scale. I care about the 6-pack. I have had carb cycling suggested, and done some research. Anyone have any luck with carb cycling? Do I continue the current diet ratios? Change them? Drop my calories back to 2100-2200? I don't think I need to lose more weight, just strip the last bit of fat. Suggestions from people who have had success getting their 6-pack would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I don't know how the actual P90X goes, but if you're not doing ab work outs every other day, I'd begin with that. That'll at least get the ab muscles bulging. You have to have a really low body fat % to actually see abs at all times.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't know how the actual P90X goes, but if you're not doing ab work outs every other day, I'd begin with that. That'll at least get the ab muscles bulging. You have to have a really low body fat % to actually see abs at all times.

Abs in P90X are every other day, on the "lifting" days. Cardio the non-lifting days.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    that sounds good. Are you actually hitting a plateu? If so, try going hardcore. I try to burn over 1k calories in a day at least once a week at the gym. Also, use your abs a lot more. If you're not sore inbetween ab days, you can do more. Flex your abs all day. Remember to eat those calories though. Just not every last one.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just curious what your current body fat % is? I don't think you need to do more ab workouts, it's all in the diet. I'm not an expert but everything I've heard or read about a 6-pack is that you will never see it unless you reduce your body fat%.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Options
    Just curious what your current body fat % is? I don't think you need to do more ab workouts, it's all in the diet. I'm not an expert but everything I've heard or read about a 6-pack is that you will never see it unless you reduce your body fat%.

No clue what the percentage is. I suck at using the calipers. And yes, the number is around 10% for abs (for men). Just curious as to HOW to get there. Whether I should try something new, or stick with P90X and it's diet.
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could always try a different program like Insanity. Its all cardio at high intensity intervals. it only lasts 60 days so you go try it and then run through P90X again.

And if you look back at the P90x nutrition plan for the first phase, the fat burn, the % for the diet are differnt. You could try to stick to that and see what happens.

Just things to think about.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I no you said not too but im still doing the ab ripper 100 each day im not doing the ab ripper x..
    maybe you should give it ago too..

i mean its 6 minutes of lightish ab work, so its not really effecting your rest period..
    and it just means that on the days your nit exercising your abs there not going..
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options

No clue what the percentage is. I suck at using the calipers. And yes, the number is around 10% for abs (for men). Just curious as to HOW to get there. Whether I should try something new, or stick with P90X and it's diet.

Yeah, I was so excited because I just got some and they are hard to use. Plus I think I'm off the charts! Ugh!! Have you tried eat stop eat or similar "semi-fasting" program? I believe in fasting though....some are against it. with eat stop eat, you never actually fast for a whole entire day. 2x per week, you fast breakfast and lunch. might be worth at least looking into.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ok, for me it's always a carb thing. Although the P90X nutrition play increases the carbs for the last phase I would lower your carbs and increase the protein. Let the muscle you build burn off the fat.
    I had success with 20/60/20 and all the carbs are fruit (not after 2pm) / veggies / Almonds (not after 4pm) / non fat greek yogurt (if you can avoid dairy for the last 10 days that may help to). (No brown rice, no sweet potatoes). Be real strict for these last 10 days.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Options
    I think I am going to try a carb cycling to coincide with the routine. High carb on the cardio/plyo type days, low carb on the resistance/lifting days. With low carbs on the rest/stretch. I'll follow it for a phase and see how it goes.
  • RobinMSills
    RobinMSills Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can try the navy formula for your BF% (it's circumference measurement based) I think it will definitely give you a more specific idea of what is going on week to week. Each method of measuring is going to yield different results. It's not really the number that matters as much as the difference from week to week. If it's clear that your muscle mass is increasing and fat is decreasing, you know you're on track. As far as diet goes I think you are on the right track raising your protein, but you might want to lower your calories a bit. As you said, you don't want to lose weight, but you do want to lose fat. So long as your protein intake is protecting your muscles, you should be able to lose fat without losing much scale weight.