After losing 74lbs I need to break Plateau

Options
I made a lifestyle change in February 2010 and have since lost a total of 74lbs to date and I feel great. I have over the time increased my activity level, whilst keeping a relatively close watch on the food and calories I'm consuming. I seem to have reached a plateau though and can't seem to break it.

As far as calories I try and stick to between 1500 (on a light exercise day) to 1900 on a heavy exercise day. I do karate twice a week, 75 minutes cardio twice a week and weights once or twice a week (but I really don't enjoy doing the weights). I don't really have any more time available to add another day of exercise, but when on my "days off" I try and keep relatively active, walk to work instead of drive or go for a walk around the lake.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to break this plateau?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your successes so far!

How far away are you from goal weight? I have 30 to lose total but plateaued when I had 15 left. The plateau lasted almost 2 months and I had to lower my weight loss goal on MFP to be at 0.5 pounds/week, which meant eating more calories, and then my weight started dropping again, albeit slower.

If you are interested in what I did, I blogged about it on MFP here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/melsinct/view/goodbye-plateau-don-t-let-the-door-hit-ya-107662
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you...

I'm about half way, I have another 60lbs to go... that makes perfect sense now about eating back the exercise calories, I haven't been doing that and at times I KNOW I have not eaten enough calories.... it all kind of falls in to place because it has been since then that I have hit my plateau, I've stayed around the same weight for last 2 months.

I'm new to MFP, I had been using another site previously, so I will track my progress on here and let you know how I get on.

Congrats on your weight loss, breaking the plateau and thank you for your reply :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    No problem! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like support along the way!