Question about Rollerblading

Options
So while I am trying to walk/run 4-5 times a week, i find my legs (shins and knees mostly) to be having a rough time with it. i am trying to find an alternative for one or two times a week. I know rollerblading would be lower impact and is a really good workout and the kind of challenge I'm looking for. The only thing is, I haven't been in a pair of skates since I was probably 8. I googled "learning to rollerblade" but was wondering if anyone had any advice about getting started, skates, do's and dont's, or anything else a beginner might need to know. Thanks!

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    do you know what the hardest thing about rollerblading is?..
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    staying upright? that's my biggest concern lol
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    Remember the "stopper" is in the back, not the front like normal skates! I hadn't been on them in 15plus years until about a month ago, but I had been on regular skates... So when I went to stop... Let's just say it wasn't pretty!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I love rollerblading, but I am still a beginner :-)
    Try to find a place to roll which is nice straight and smooth. Learn to stop ( I still have a hard time with this). Use all protections you can get!
    Oh, and since I work out with a personal trainer (at the gym), I roll much better. I say it's because I keep my body more upright and my abs are stronger, which both help keeping your balance.

Other than this, I can only recommend practice, practice, practice :-)
    You'll get better with time :-)

MM
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You could use some sort of stick to help with balance (broom handle, walking poles). When I taught my husband how to rollerblade we used a hockey stick.
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options
    I have been rollerblading for as long as I can remember...my advise for learning how to stay up right is to start out on a softer surface like grass or sand that will help hold the wheels in place a little better than pavement (and be better to fall onto!). In my opinion staying upright really isnt the hardest part, once you get up and moving as long as you use your core you will stay upright for the most past. The hardest part to me is stopping! Again I recommend using a softer surface until you get the hang of it. Rollerblading is a BLAST and will certainly get your heart pumping. I hope you give it a shot.