why does everyone love zumba?

Options
its like everyone is doing it... why!?!?! how is it different? whats so great about it?

Replies

• jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anybody else, but I love the music, the energy in the class and the workout I get from a class. I work hard without really realizing it. I consider my zumba class a reward rather than a workout.
  • Margot18904
    Options
    Can't answer how it is different as I haven't been to any other classes recently but I love it because it is fast paced and great fun. The music is catchy and the moves don't seem like exercise as it really seems just like dancing. The time flies when I am there and it's great exercise too - I'm wearing my HRM to class for the first time tonight, so I will get an accurate burn, I expect it to be in the region of 400-500 minimum.
  • loopylis
    loopylis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do zumba at home, I have the dvd's. I only started it last week but I love it. I find it doesnt really feel like a workout, Im dancing and having fun, The music and rythm is fab, the teachers are great. Its only when I get to the end of the dvd I realise how seaty and knackered I am lol
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like my teacher.

I like how I burn as many calories as one hour of cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or intense hiking (and Zumba is year-round).

I like how it makes me sweat more than every other exercise class (I go through my entire bottle of water).

I've been doing it a few months and I can't imagine my weeks without it added to my routine. :)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I love the music, love to dance, and its fun and goes by fast lol.. its an awesome burn afterwards :)
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've never actually done it. I have a similar dance work out for the Wii but I just can't keep up with it! I've seen Zumba being done and I just know I'd be crap at it so I just freestyle in the comfort of my own home :laugh:
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    i love the ability to to dance like a lunatic in front of people(we even do a chicken dance and a smack that kinda dance!!!!!HAHAH), make friends, have a giggle, and dance to some good upbeat music. and it does tone up and burn cals. its my stress relief for the week.
    You know when you are at home and you close the curtains and lock the door and dance around like crazy, zumbas like that but with people that dont judge. its freedom and hilarious.
    my instructor says its like a 90's disco(we have a disco ball and do bum shake and shimmy showdowns)
    xxx
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What are some good Zumba DVDs that you recommend? I would love to give it a try at home since I don't belong to a gym.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for over a year now and I don't feel like I am working out, the music is energizing and the classes are pure fun...I even have it on home for my Wii....
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    It's FUN! The time goes by super fast while doing it and it's dancing. Who doesn't like dancing. Have you tried it?
  • mexikana
    mexikana Posts: 3
    Options
    Definitly fun if you like to dance... I love to dance :).... it's an enjoyable alternative work out to just regular cardio.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It's fun. I like to dance, too.

My instructors are great and are always obviously having a good time, too.

The classes I go to are free, which is awesome (not a normal situation, I know).

I feel really good after a Zumba class - high energy, endorphins have me pumped, etc...

Honestly, I think I would like a cardio kickboxing, step aerobics, or Jazzercise class, too. I do like the Zumba music, though. Especially when a singer says, "Zumba" all sexily.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I got into it in February and I can't imagine NOT doing it now. It's SO much fun and I haven't even been to a class where I think it would be even that much MORE fun doing it with other people. Like everyone has said, it's fun, the music is addictive and I don't feel like I'm working out at all and I'm FULL of energy afterwards. I do it at home with the DVD's.

To answer skinnypidgeon, if you go the zumba.com website, you'll see the Exhilarate set for sale. I just got it about 2 weeks ago and love it. I also have the set they sold prior to this called Cardio Party. I now have 11 DVD's that are all Zumba that I can switch out depending on what I want to do that day. There's cardio on most all of them but some are geared towards toning where you use weights but still with the music and different dance steps. There's a Step-by-Step DVD with each set so you can practice the steps before you actually start the main DVD's if you want to.

Just try it! You'll love it. It's by FAR my exercise of choice.
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You've got to find a really awesome, high-energy teacher--that's key. I love zumba because the hour absolutely FLIES, and I get SOOOO many more squats and lunges in than I would EVER do if I wasn't zumba'ing. It makes everything I hate about exercise (i.e., how slowly the clock moves, how bad my thighs burn) disappear and has given my outlook on exercise a complete facelift. I revamped my lifestyle to include eating better and exercising five weeks ago, and I'm down about 17 pounds (5'7'', SW 193), and I give so much of that credit to zumba! I can't wait to see where these classes take my body in the month to come.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba, but my problem was the music. Its all Latin music and its like listening to the same song over and over. I like Jazzercise much better just because of the variety of the music. If I don't like a song, the next one will be a different type. Any type of dancing that works for you is good though, and Fun! There is probably something out there for any taste.
    The group support of these dance classes can be very good too.
  • HelloKittyRx
    Options
    I have been to Zumba at 2 different places. One place it was not very intense and the music really wasn't what I was into. The other one I went to the instructor had so much energy and I was dying after like 5 minutes, but it was AMAZING workout. And tons of fun. If you love to dance, and find an instructor who likes the same type of music that you do, then it is a ton of fun : )
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for about 2 1/2 months now. I have the Exhilarate set (I bought it on amazon because it was cheaper and I got free express shipping) and I go to the classes at the Y on Thursday nights. I love my class because the teacher is high energy and calls out the moves if she senses the class can't follow them. I have started losing more weight since starting the class too. 10 of my 13 pounds actually! I also like it because the music is catchy and you find yourself wanting to do the moves on your own at home just to practice so you get better. I could never do the square step and now since starting to practice at home I can do it almost as good as the instructor! If you haven't given it a try you definitely should. It is great exercise and it doesn't even feel like it most of the time! The only reason you know you are is because you are sweating so much!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba, but my problem was the music. Its all Latin music and its like listening to the same song over and over. I like Jazzercise much better just because of the variety of the music. If I don't like a song, the next one will be a different type. Any type of dancing that works for you is good though, and Fun! There is probably something out there for any taste.
    The group support of these dance classes can be very good too.

It's not for everyone and if you don't like Latin music that might be a dealbreaker...but I really think the classes depend on the instructor. We had a substitute one day and she played almost all hip hop. My dad has been complaining that his classes aren't playing enough Latin music (yeah, my dad goes to Zumba. It's adorable).
  • sassenachtiff
    Options
    What are some good Zumba DVDs that you recommend? I would love to give it a try at home since I don't belong to a gym.
    Same here, I'm curious about trying Zumba but I'm interested in DVD recommendations...anyone?
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!