Heart rate monitors

Options
Hey, all;
I'm thinking about investing in a heart rate monitor but wanted to get a little feedback from everyone first. If you have a heart rate monitor:
--Do you use it often?
--Do you find that the calories it says you burn are way off than, say, the machines at the gym?
--Any zumba lovers love their heart rate monitor and can share their stats and what they typically burn in a class?
--Do you think it was worth the money?
--Where can I find one that is affordable (inexpensive, preferrably), and for how much?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A question on top of that....is the BodyBugg the same type of thing or is a HRM different?
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet but I am planning on getting the Garmin Forerunner 305 soon. Its got great reviews and Amazon has it for about $130 currently which is a better price than I have seen for other Garmin HRM.

I would think that the HRM would be more accurate than a machine at the gym and definilty a great way to track your burn when doing zumba or other classes/workouts.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Had a BB and have a HRM. I use a Polar. Works great and way worth the money considering the machines and the gym as well as MFP are way off on #'s for cals burned. I compared the BB and the HRM and it was a slight difference and didn't warrant me paying the BB fee plus the equipment so I sold it.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hey, all;
    I'm thinking about investing in a heart rate monitor but wanted to get a little feedback from everyone first. If you have a heart rate monitor:
    --Do you use it often?
    --Do you find that the calories it says you burn are way off than, say, the machines at the gym?
    --Any zumba lovers love their heart rate monitor and can share their stats and what they typically burn in a class?
    --Where can I find one that is affordable (inexpensive, preferrably), and for how much?
    I just got mine about a month ago but:
    --Do you use it often? Yes, just about everyday.
    --Do you find that the calories it says you burn are way off than, say, the machines at the gym? Yes, but I have a cardio app on my phone that I use that is pretty much the same.
    --Do you think it was worth the money? Yup
    --Where can I find one that is affordable (inexpensive, preferrably), and for how much? Figure out what 'features' you want and do research. I got one for about half price and free shipping on the web.

Additional comments:
    - get one with a chest strap.
    - everyone is going to have their recommendation, make your decision based on that PLUS the features you really need.

Good Luck!!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet but I am planning on getting the Garmin Forerunner 305 soon. Its got great reviews and Amazon has it for about $130 currently which is a better price than I have seen for other Garmin HRM.

I would think that the HRM would be more accurate than a machine at the gym and definilty a great way to track your burn when doing zumba or other classes/workouts.

Machines at the gym are way off and never calibrated they do not even take into account height, weight, age, VO2MAX, nothing, they use a scale to guess cals burned same with MFP. Not good reference points IMO.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hey, all;
    --Do you use it often?

Don't go too cheap, as they are not accurate. The Polar FT4 is one of the more affordable "good" HRMs. You can usually get them on Amazon for a good price, in store they retail for around $100.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    --Do you use it often? I wear mine for EVERY single workout

--Do you find that the calories it says you burn are way off than, say, the machines at the gym? Definately. The treadmill and MFP are ALWAYS higer than what my HRM says I burn

--Any zumba lovers love their heart rate monitor and can share their stats and what they typically burn in a class? Sorry, don't do ZUMBA, but I can tell you that 1 hour of boot camp is about 6-700 calories for me

--Do you think it was worth the money? HELL YEAH! I got the Suunto T3d. It was about 120 dollars, but totally worth it. I am so much more informed about what I'm doing, and how hard I'm working. I was feeling like crap at boot camp yesterday, and it was because it was sooo hot out, I couldn't get my HR down. Once I waited for it to drop into an acceptable range, I felt better.

--Where can I find one that is affordable (inexpensive, preferrably), and for how much? A lot of people like the Polar FT4 and FT7 monitors. Someone said they saw the FT7 on Amazon for like 80 bucks with shipping. I got mine off of Zappos.com. I paid a little more, but wanted it overnight, and I like their return policy.
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just bought my dh the Polar FT60 for Father's Day....shhhhh! I found it on heartratemonitorsusa.com. I got it for $152!
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4
    Every time I work out
    I think the calories are very accurate. it shows less then the machine
    I burn between 550-600 calores in Zumba weighing about 230 lbs. My friend weighs 170 and our burns are around the same.
    I got mine at ****s Sporting goods. I believe it was $99 but had a $10 rebate and I had a coupon from the Entertainment book for another$15 off.

Hey, all;
    --Do you use it often?
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am getting a New Balance N4 at Target for 70.00!!

The bodybugg does everything BUT count your HR lol.
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it. I wear it anytime I am doing any exercise (Zumba class, workout DVD's, Curves Smart etc). I found the MFP and the watch only HRMs way overestimated the calories I was burning. With the Polar, 60 minute zumba I generally burn around 500-550 calories. I know this sounds low, but since I started using the Polar, I have lost 5 more lbs. (3 weeks) and feel like I am being much more accurate. I am in healthy weight range now (just barely), so it is harder to burn lots of calories. Polar FT4 can be bought for around $89 - I bought mine at Academy Sports but Best Buy and several other places have them as well. You can also purchase on line, but didn't find them any cheaper and have to wait for delivery. Whatever you decide, definitely get a HRM with a chest strap.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    I have a Timex T5G971 (under $45 shipping and everything on Amazon) and I love it. I use it every time I workout. It was relatively close to what my elliptical told me I was burning at first, but as I get into better shape, my elliptical overestimates my calories burned more. I love it for stuff like exercise classes/DVDs because there's really no way to know how many calories you burn otherwise. The chest strap is comfortable (I forget I have it on) and it doesn't get in the way. My SIL has a Polar FT4 and loves it as well. HTH!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked 3 days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I :heart: the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked 3 days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    go Polar or go home
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I used a Polar FT40 from December 'til recently but I switched to a 305 last week . I've run with the 305 a few times and am very impressed. For weight loss, I think the FT40 is a better way to go but now that I'm focusing on running, the 305 was the right device.

And, yes, I'd like to find a good home for my FT40.
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks, everyone. Does anyone else have any feedback about the ones sold at Target? Ones to get, ones to avoid..
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    --Do you use it often? Every workout!

--Do you find that the calories it says you burn are way off than, say, the machines at the gym? Calories are way lower, almost half when compared to the machine!

--Any zumba lovers love their heart rate monitor and can share their stats and what they typically burn in a class? I don't zumba but i do the 30DS and walk the dog and it has been great for both.

--Do you think it was worth the money? Yeap! I got the Polar FT7, now that i look at it i probably could have just gotten the FT4.

--Where can I find one that is affordable (inexpensive, preferrably), and for how much? http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-products.html
    this is the website I got mine, it is not super cheap but is on sale and it showed up fast! You definitely want the chest strap.
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have a HRM and BodyMedia...they are relatively close to one another in terms of cals burned.

the HRM is not way off in terms of the machines at the gym but within 100 cals. i just would rather know what i'm burning more scientifically if that makes sense.

HRM has taught me a lot about my different HR zones and where i need to be working out to maximize fat loss. and i don't have to hold onto the bars of machines. the one thing about that is i will have to get the zones redone in a few weeks as my fitness improves.

right now i do wear both because the BodyMedia is my pedometer for the day and we're having a step counting competition at work. and i wear the BodyMedia all day and the HRM only when i workout.

i have worn my HRM in the pool and can't wear my BodyMedia in the pool.

i have worn BodyMedia to Zumba and i burn 700-800 calories. Kickboxing shows i burn 600-850 calories. that's the thing you will burn different calories on different days based on the day and how you feel and what intensity you work out at. i would hate to over estimate calories burned if you're trying to eat net calories.

if i had to do it over again i would just have the HRM wear it when i work out and use this site to do net calories.

BodyMedia gives you a good overall picture of what you burn at rest and how you sleep and how many steps you take throughout the day. But i feel i would be ok with just the HRM.