Picky eating habits make it hard to lose

Options
2»

Replies

• Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a picky eater, but I do have one in the house! He's a meat and potatoes kind of guy, who doesn't like many veggies other then the basic peas, green beans, broccoli and corn. He drinks his weight in soda and iced tea I think.

I'm going to order the book too, thanks for the suggestion!

I don't have any suggestions on how to get her to try more things. I'm one of the 'touch love' kind of people. If my husband wanted to lose weight, btu wasn't willing to try new things- then that would be his problem. I wouldn't try to force him into anything. When he was ready to be SERIOUS, then he'd either try new things or fail if he was still eating poorly. I won't waste my time on someone else who isn't willing to try.
  • TiffyBear415_xx
    Options
    I'm a really picky eater too. Veggies..dont like them..and fruits..I like the taste but its something about the crunch texture that makes me feel like I'm gonna barf. Any suggestions for me?

since there is such a wide variety of veggies with a huge difference in taste and texture, and add to that that these can also change when cooked, I'd say that saying you don't like veggies is a bit of a cop out. That isn't meant to be mean, it's just the truth, I mean, if you don't like one veggie, or one type of veggie, there's literally hundreds of others to choose from.
    are you saying you've tried every conceivable veggie out there and like none of them? I would be very surprised at that. As to fruits, it's a very small subset of fruit that actually crunch, in fact most don't crunch at all, melons, berries, peaches, plumbs, cherries, grapes. None of these crunch at all.

No havent tried all veggies but I have tried alot and I just dont like them. I've also tried all the fruits you mentioned and its something about the texture. I just cant eat them. :( I guess the skin or something?
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No problem on the book rec, all! Try the chicken cordon bleu and the mac and cheese--they're exquisite!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    No problem on the book rec, all! Try the chicken cordon bleu and the mac and cheese--they're exquisite!
    Mine's scheduled to be here by June 16. Can't wait!
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If she drinks her calories and likes very sugary drinks, could you persuade her to try smoothies? If you get a really good blender and blend for a long time, texture should not be an issue. You could make OJ a primary ingredient and very slowly introduce other fruits/veggies.

Okay so she likes what she likes, period. That's okay! But if she's on MFP she gets X calories a day that she can spend it on whatever she wants. I bet she'll go for the most filling, least calorie foods and start choosing new foods herself. I guess if she doesn't want to do that, she won't. You can't change her, she has to want it.

Honestly, therapy is an excellent idea. Therapy is always a good idea.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most adventurous eater, but I do like fruits/veggies, etc. For me though, starting to exercise really put my eating habits into perspective - realizing that eating something bad or something on top of my daily calorie intake would take x amount of time to work off. Once you exercise, you don't want to waste the day and make bad choices.
    For your wife, I would slowly start adding in fruits and vegetables - example: carrots with ranch, celery with peanut butter. Eventually, she will probably be able to cut down on the amount of dressings used with it.
    However, I do have to agree that if she is very picky, it's definitely a problem that therapy or a consultation with a doctor could help with. Since you're not her keeper, she will have to make the choice to get help on her own, but picky eating is an eating disorder and there are treatments for it. I'm not sure if you have any kids, but if you do or are thinking about having kids, you don't want her habits passed onto them. If she starts eating healthy for anything, it should be the thought of that!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    Hey, Matt;
    I have the same problem. Most healthfood cookbooks totally blow because they don't have food that REAL PEOPLE would like to eat. I recently found a cookbook called "Now Eat This" by Rocco Dispirito that has TOTALLY BLOWN MY MIND. The big draw for me was that they have all the foods I love--mac and cheese, sloppy joes, beef stroganoff, chicken parm, reubens, etc.--and they are ALL under 350 calories per serving!! It's phenomenal: I can eat the foods I want, and keep my calories way down. Another BIG plus for me is that they use a lot of similar and pretty basic ingredients as well as utensils, so I don't have to go on a wild goose chase for anything crazy. Also, they are fast and EASY to make (even for a non-cooker like me). This cookbook has completely changed dinner in our household....EVERYBODY loves these foods. They are SO flavorful; your wife won't even know she's eating health foods!
    Mine came in the mail yesterday. I was late getting to bed because I couldn't put it down! I'm looking forward to trying out a bunch of the recipes in there. Thanks again for the recommendation.