Im allowed 165 g of carbs per day

Options
VeroM1234
VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
Hi everyone,

When I track food, I am allowed 165g of cars per day...

Isn't that pretty high?

I dont know around what number I should be, I was just really surprised when I saw 165g of carbs..

Since I am petite (5ft2) I am only allowed 1200 cal a day... I know I can change the carbs numbers in my settings, I just wonder what number it should be?

I am 5ft2, 159 pounds...trying to lose 30 pounds.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    how do you change the numbers? mine seems high to me as well.

thanks,
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    165 grams of carbs is spot on. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just under 5'4" and have 1200 calories, and my carbs are at 165 grams. Carbs are your body's main source of energy.
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you with height/weight and eating 1200 calories / 165 carbs. Even though I never exceeded my calorie limitations, I never lost weight until I reduced my carbs. What works for me is 100-120 max carbs per day.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Click on Goals, then Custom goals. there you can change the percentages. Your body doesn't need that many carbs in one day. 100 and below will do just fine. Others on low carb diets stay under 50 or so so do what is best for you.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Good grief! I am doing Atkins and am on 18 - 20g carb a day. I don't honestly think I could manage 165g a day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    On the "My Home" tab click "Goals" then "Change Goals". Click "Custom" then "Continue". You can manually adjust all of your goals there.

You can set them to whatever you want. I have mine set to 50/25/25 right now because I need to eat a lower fat diet since I've had my gallbladder out. Most days I don't get close to 25 grams of fat, so I'll probably adjust that a little lower and go something more like 50/25/20. I really don't care for the most part what ratio I eat since it's all calories, but it's useful if you're trying to eat less carbs or more protein or doing the Zone which mandates 40/30/30. It's all up to what you're comfortable with.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    According literature I was reading from the American Diabetes Association that is pretty accurate, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I have the same calories and crabs as you and after reading there was need to adjust mine....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Good grief! I am doing Atkins and am on 18 - 20g carb a day. I don't honestly think I could manage 165g a day.

I was doing Atkins when I started using MFP, it's the reason I was looking for a food diary tool in the first place. However, after my gallbladder came out, I just can't eat that way any longer. It's funny, I still freak out about how many carbs I'm eating every day and while I'm losing the weight more slowly, it is coming off.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Ok paperwork in front of me now so...

Current recommendations of total crabs is 50% of calories needs
    So for 1200 the least you would need would be 144 grams.
  • leaw24
    leaw24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been back on the diet wagon for 10 days now and only yesterday did I realise that I'd copied out my requirements without looking from an old diet book... I kept going over on carbs with no idea why ... realised I'd allocated from an old diet notebook when I was back doing Atkins! No wonder I kept going over! It's all about letting MFP allocate for you :P