Hypothyroidism + PCOS = Weight Loss Woes

Options
Hey all,

I'm brand new to here and now that I'm almost out of college I'm trying to get my butt in shape (and the rest of me too). Quick background: I'm in my early 20's, engaged, and living in the northeast US. I've been a vegetarian for eight years and I'm Italian, so I'm cooking all the time. I try to buy local, natural foods whenever possible, and I'm a total gamer/LARPer chick, which is where a good amount of my activity comes from. I also do yoga, when I can get off my lazy butt and do it.

Though I try to eat right and do things correctly, I have two major wrenches. Specifically, I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. My hypothyroidism can't be medicated because my thyroid hormones fluctuate wildly and rapidly (within a month or so, I can go from very hypo to normal to slightly hypo and back to normal again). If I go on pills, even half of the smallest pill they make, I go hyper and get severe, crippling panic/anxiety. Because of my PCOS, I have never had a normal menstrual cycle and have to rely on birth control to force me to have periods. Both of these conditions make me fatigued, anxious, depressed, and overweight.

Is there anyone out there with a similar experience? How were you able to overcome your weight issues without medications? I am a very large proponent of doing things the natural way, without diet pills or temporary weight loss programs. Is there a different set of nutritional guidelines I should be following? Since I'm a vegetarian, I try to diversify my protein intake, because I know depending on just soy will wreck my thyroid even more. Is there anything else really big I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Replies

• SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a website called The Hormone Diet - http://www.thehormonediet.com

The book is written by a natural path Dr. Natasha Turner who suffers from both hypothyroidism and PCOS.

I try to follow her approach of eating without buy all the additional supplements.

I have hypothyroidism and I find eating clean and exercise helps me.

Best of luck.

Karen
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Have you ever though about speaking with a nutritionist - he/she may be able to give you better food options.
    I have PCOS/insulin resistance - My nutritionist & showed me a whole new world....

You got this!! I wish you the best!!!

Joey
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Look up http://www.myfitnesspal.com/clintswifeymomof4. She has similar issues and has lost almost 100 lbs. There is some stuff in her blog about it I think.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    @Pandora: Thanks, I'll check it out!

@cobarlo: I have actually spoken to two nutritionists. Unfortunately, the first one was a little crazy and tried to unrealistically overhaul my whole life, so I stopped seeing her. The second one was more sane, but she didn't really know what to do for me (she's still training technically). I'm seeing a third one next week, so hopefully she'll have some advice, but I think it's sometimes hard for people without the conditions to fully understand how hard it is.

@keith: Hmmm...the link doesn't seem to be working...
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have hypotyroidism, but not PCOS. I found out I was hypo because of lumps discovered on my thyroid- they were large enough to feel externally. I had the same trouble with hormone levels acting wildly. Because of the lumps growing (not cancerous, but concerning), I decided to have my thyroid removed. Since then, it has actually been relatively easy to get my hormone levels normal with meds. I will forever have to take medication, but no longer have to worry about cancer, hormone imbalance, vocal restrictions or other issues those lumps could cause. If you can't feel lumps in your neck, you could talk to your doctor and suggest an ultrasound, to see if you have something similar. I know how tough thyroid imbalance is on weight loss and life in general. Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post... oops!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

@cobarlo: I have actually spoken to two nutritionists. Unfortunately, the first one was a little crazy and tried to unrealistically overhaul my whole life, so I stopped seeing her. The second one was more sane, but she didn't really know what to do for me (she's still training technically). I'm seeing a third one next week, so hopefully she'll have some advice, but I think it's sometimes hard for people without the conditions to fully understand how hard it is.

Hopefully #3 is a charm and knows what he/she is doing :) - Keep us updated!!!
  • runningaround
    Options
    Hi -

I have hypothyroidism (actually I don't have a thyroid at all due to thyroid cancer) and also have been put on meds to hopefully delay diabetes (I had gestational diabetes with 2 of my pregnancies). I am having an AWFUL time losing weight - as soon as I lose some it comes right back. I can't find the right combination of foods at all. I'm cutting out all alcohol and am eating low carb. Any suggestions?
  • rhichi
    Options
    @jl: My thyroid is usually slightly enlarged, but ultrasounds have never shown nodules or anything. It's really strange how my levels just change so wildly. My doctors get confused because they'll see a normal THC and T3 one month and then the next time the draw blood, my TSH is really high or my T3 is low. It was really frustrating at first, because the first endocrinologist I had refused to believe I had a thyroid problem (he drew blood on a "euthyroid" day). He even called me a liar because I said I knew my thyroid wasn't working! The next guy tested for antibodies and found that I had Hashimoto's. But then he ended up forcing me to keep taking meds even though it gave me such debilitating panic that I couldn't leave my house. I have had a bit of a roller coaster with doctors...
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have autoimmune hypothyroidism and hormone imbalances that may or may not actually be PCOS...but sure act like it.
    I had a hard time getting the weight loss started, but found that the combo of exercise, a diet overhaul and counting calories finally got it started.

I don't think it's important to eat low-carb per se, but what carbs you eat can be important, and are important for me. Eat complex carbs (steel cut oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, veggies) and cut out as much as possible any simple carbs (eating some fruit is OK). When I stick to complex carbs I'm fine, but when I get sloppy and have a bagel and/or potato (even staying on target for cals for the day) I find my loss grinds to a halt.

I know that others who have said that (benign) thyroid tumors can cause what you're seeing...the wild fluctuations in hormone levels...are correct. You should both have an ultrasound to look for growths and have bloodwork done to test for anti-thyroid antibodies, which can also cause similar fluctuations as the body is attacking the thyroid.

Edit - sorry, just saw your post where you said you do in fact have autoimmune issues. They will calm down with time, and eventually you will be able to get on meds and have no problems with them. :flowerforyou:
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I HAD both. My thyroid did what yours did so it was difficult to get a proper diagnosis. I finally saw an endocrinologist and I'm also not into the pills. But he let me be totally proactive in my treatment. Here is what we did:

I started on a low dose of Cytomel, if I felt anxious, I skipped it. I also started out on 500 mgs of Metformin, then increased to 1000. I lowered carbs and stayed on a low cal diet. About 1000-1100 per day. (This was determined based on MY individual body chemistry and I was monitored heavily) As the weight started to fall off, my hormones started to balance out and I stopped the Cytomel and lowered the Metformin to 500 mgs at night only. I have lost a little over 60 pounds now.

My Gyno put me on Femcon for BC, but about 9 months in, my period stopped completely and my ovaries were full of cysts. I switched to Yaz and in about 6 months my period came back. I'm staying on the Metformin because it helps you ovulate and I want to have more kids. Otherwise, I'd be off all meds by now. It was worth it to go on them for a short period. I didn't have any side effects and I was monitored heavily so I felt comfortable. Plus I wanted off of the pills, so I worked extra hard because my endo was very educational with how these things worked. He assured me if I go his way for a short time, I could take over and do it myself later. He was so right.

Now, as long as I am eating well and working out, my weight is not a concern. Since my weight is down, my hormones are WNL most of the time and it's easier to get under control now.

If you aren't seeing an endocrinologist, I highly recommend it. Lower carb diets help PCOS, not drastic. I only reduced my carbs by 5% and it worked for me.

Good luck to you!!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I HAD both. My thyroid did what yours did so it was difficult to get a proper diagnosis. I finally saw an endocrinologist and I'm also not into the pills. But he let me be totally proactive in my treatment. Here is what we did:

I started on a low dose of Cytomel, if I felt anxious, I skipped it. I also started out on 500 mgs of Metformin, then increased to 1000. I lowered carbs and stayed on a low cal diet. About 1000-1100 per day. (This was determined based on MY individual body chemistry and I was monitored heavily) As the weight started to fall off, my hormones started to balance out and I stopped the Cytomel and lowered the Metformin to 500 mgs at night only. I have lost a little over 60 pounds now.

My Gyno put me on Femcon for BC, but about 9 months in, my period stopped completely and my ovaries were full of cysts. I switched to Yaz and in about 6 months my period came back. I'm staying on the Metformin because it helps you ovulate and I want to have more kids. Otherwise, I'd be off all meds by now. It was worth it to go on them for a short period. I didn't have any side effects and I was monitored heavily so I felt comfortable. Plus I wanted off of the pills, so I worked extra hard because my endo was very educational with how these things worked. He assured me if I go his way for a short time, I could take over and do it myself later. He was so right.

Now, as long as I am eating well and working out, my weight is not a concern. Since my weight is down, my hormones are WNL most of the time and it's easier to get under control now.

If you aren't seeing an endocrinologist, I highly recommend it. Lower carb diets help PCOS, not drastic. I only reduced my carbs by 5% and it worked for me.

Good luck to you!!!

Cytomel huh? doc had you on a AAS type chemical. Pretty interesting. It works though which is great.

I have Hyperthyroidism and I have cured it most of the time with controlling my carb intake. I went crazy twice because I dropped it below 100grams a day and I put on 10 lbs in a week.

Now my thyroid works like a champ because I keep a constant diet and pretty much eat the same thing everyday which sucks but it has helped me drop something like 100 lbs since I started and 40lbs since I started MFP.
  • GrowOrDie
    GrowOrDie Posts: 42
    Options
    WOW!!! I was JUST recently diagnosed with this... and have been at a loss of what this means for my lifestyle and goals. I dont have words to say to describe how I feel except I feel like this diagnosis was a punch in the gut and a smack in the face at the same time. This was a timely thread and I am eager to read more and learn what this means for my life.
  • rhichi
    Options
    @ninja: What is Cytomel? I've never heard of it before. I was on Metformin for a while, taking six of those huge pills a day, but they only served to make me nauseous. If they were combined with something better though, it might be worth looking into again. I do really want kids, so if that can help ovulation then that would be great. I'm currently taking Camila 5 days a month to induce periods (I can't take estrogen pills because they give me migraines and increase my risk of stroke), but I just got a new gyno, so I'm not sure if that will change because she's waiting for blood test results to figure out the next step.
  • 1234lbsgone
    Options
    Cytomel is a thyroid medication. It's not used commonly with new/young doctors. It is a synthetic T3. My endo was old school and a professor, so he didn't follow the text book, he wrote it. My family doctor was a little thrown when he saw what I was taking. Needless to say, I was only on it for maybe 4 months, I lost weight pretty quickly.
  • rhichi
    Options
    Is there a reason not to take it over a different type? Why don't they use it anymore?
  • 1234lbsgone
    Options

Cytomel huh? doc had you on a AAS type chemical. Pretty interesting. It works though which is great.

I have Hyperthyroidism and I have cured it most of the time with controlling my carb intake. I went crazy twice because I dropped it below 100grams a day and I put on 10 lbs in a week.

Now my thyroid works like a champ because I keep a constant diet and pretty much eat the same thing everyday which sucks but it has helped me drop something like 100 lbs since I started and 40lbs since I started MFP.

Apparently you can order it online. It doesn't shock me at all. But I wouldn't trust it. lol But now I know why my family doctor almost had a heart attack. I really didn't feel any side effects.
  • 1234lbsgone
    Options
    Is there a reason not to take it over a different type? Why don't they use it anymore?

The most common thyroid med is Synthroid which is a T4, Cytomel is a T3.

From- http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=16899

"The thyroid gland produces the thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). The thyroid gland produces more T4 than T3, and, in fact, most of the T3 in the body actually results from conversion of T4 to T3 outside the thyroid gland. T4 and T3 have the same effects on the body, and increasing doses of either cause the thyroid gland to make less thyroid hormones. (This is referred to as "feedback inhibition," in which the levels of a chemical in the body regulates its own production.) T3 is more potent that T4, which means that one mg of T3 has a greater effect on the body than one mg of T4.

Levothyroxine (Synthroid) is a synthetic version of T4, and liothyronine (Cytomel) is a synthetic version of T3. Both are used for the treatment of hypothyroidism, but levothyroxine is preferred because T3 is absorbed from the intestine very rapidly, and this may cause mild thyroid hormone toxicity (hyperthyroidism) in some patients. Also, the test that measures the level of T4 in the blood (TT4) is not useful when T3 is administered. (Specifically, if TT4 is used to monitor the adequacy of treatment when T3 is administered, it shows a low level of T4 which can lead to the erroneous decision to administer more T3.) Finally, since T4 is converted to T3 in the body, there is no advantage to administering T3 products."
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add but would like to see what others say.
  • rhichi
    Options
    Ahhh, ok. Is there a reason why he went with T3 instead? Did he suspect you had an issue converting T4 to T3?

Sorry to grill, I just like to get as much info as I can. Sometimes doctors speak so quickly and rushed that I don't actually get to learn what I need/want to.