Two 30 minute workouts versus one 60?

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
I have been doing steady state cardio at night, and lately been doing bike rides for about an hour. I am planning to ride my bike to work tomorrow. It seems perfect, as it's about 30 minutes each way, so i can get my workout out of the way save gas and all the good stuff.

What I want to know is the difference between getting two 30 minute rides in versus one long 60 minute ride. I assume it's at least slightly better to do 60 minutes all at once, but is that a significant difference?

I guess the answer doesn't really matter all that much, I am probably going to do this either way. But you know... Knowing is half the battle.

Replies

• CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure if this helps BUT.... when I ride bike or run I will generally burn about 150-200 calories in the first 30 minutes and about 200-300 calories in the last 30 minutes. So If I broke up my 60 minutes I would burn 300-400 a day versus 350-500 a day. My suggestion would be that on your way home you increase your intensity or 'go the long way around' if you can. Hope that helps some. G'luck!
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It takes 20 minutes for your body to start burning fat. So, in effect - you are only doing 20 minutes of fat burning vs. 40.
  • layasideEVERYweight
    Options
    I have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, I think it is better to exercise TWO days instead of one (keep heart rate/metabolism up vs one day of up and other at bmr), so 30 minutes twice. on the other hand, I like to skip a day when I have a hard workout so that my body/muscles can rest and rebuild and come back stronger next workout. I don't think the calorie thing matters as much as what is the priority to your body...does it need rest? Can you work out another day instead of skipping one? OR, you could mix it up so your body doesn't get used to any one routine. Oh no....that's another option...LOL ha ha ha
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    2 30 minute workouts (at a good pace) are better than 1 60 minute workout. The reason, your body will burn more after each workout than just one. It's like revving your engine twice!

PS: The key is at a good pace!