My NSV ... my resting HR :)

Options
HisPathDaily
HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
OK, this may sound stupid but ...

I never exercised until a year ago when I started running ... it's the first and only thing I found that I actually enjoy, and if you don't enjoy something, you're going to struggle to keep up with it. I'm not a gym person, and while I think it's great for others, I don't ever intend of being there (it's just not for me) ... but obviously I need to exercise someway somehow! ...

Anyway, I tell you that as I "never" exercised before that ... and whenever I go to the doctor (or even checked at home) my resting heart rate was always around 92 give or take ... it was still in that "normal range" so I thought I was just fine but happened to have a higher HR ... I never really checked it until recently again and I was shocked (though I guess it's pretty understandable!) that after I've lost weight and started running somewhat frequently my RHR is now in the mid 60's! It was just another sign (not on the scale) that proves that we need to take care of our bodies, and that I am :) ...

It's really cool to know that my body is not just responding, but that I'm doing things that is making my body relax more :)

I like my NSV ... even if it doesn't have to do with appearance! (which of course I'm happy with too!) :) ...

~Matt

Replies

• nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hey... any victory is just that... A VICTORY!! Good for you! :smile:
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am having the same thing happening to me!
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    your heart is telling you 'thank you'! That is pretty exciting, you're getting an athlete's pulse love it!
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I really like this post. Made me smile. Good for you. It is such a good feeling when we know all our hard work is paying off and our body is loving us for it.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing. My resting heart rate was around 92 also. That was ON a beta blocker (for high blood pressure). Once I lost some weight, my resting heart rate had gone all the way down to 54 so my doctor took me off the beta blocker. Now it is around 66-72. Isn't it cool when our bodies tell us thank you!? I know you must feel so much better now too! I don't know about you, but when I exercise now it only takes a couple of minutes for my heart rate to return to normal. Before I lost weight it took a long time for my heart rate to come back down. Great NSV!!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    A victory is a victory! And your victory inspires me! Because my RHR has always been around 90 also so it gives me hopes that in time with healthy eating and exercise that mine will go down also.
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Thanks everyone! =) ... taking care of this gift of a body gives gifts in return :)
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    A victory is a victory! And your victory inspires me! Because my RHR has always been around 90 also so it gives me hopes that in time with healthy eating and exercise that mine will go down also.

=) I'm sure it will ... our bodies are amazing ... I went a year ago from not being able to run 60 seconds without thinking I was going to die to running 7-8 miles and feeling fine ... I can't even believe I'm thinking about a half (marathon) ... who would have thought! lol!?

~Matt

"If you see me collapse, pause my Garmin"
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing. My resting heart rate was around 92 also. That was ON a beta blocker (for high blood pressure). Once I lost some weight, my resting heart rate had gone all the way down to 54 so my doctor took me off the beta blocker. Now it is around 66-72. Isn't it cool when our bodies tell us thank you!? I know you must feel so much better now too! I don't know about you, but when I exercise now it only takes a couple of minutes for my heart rate to return to normal. Before I lost weight it took a long time for my heart rate to come back down. Great NSV!!

Funny you say that as I have noticed a dramatic difference in my recover time ... mostly since I got my Garmin and started tracking my HR during runs ... it's been a fun transformation for sure!
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    I really like this post. Made me smile. Good for you. It is such a good feeling when we know all our hard work is paying off and our body is loving us for it.

Thanks! :) ...
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    your heart is telling you 'thank you'! That is pretty exciting, you're getting an athlete's pulse love it!

I used to laugh and shake my head when people used to talk to me about being a "runner" or being "in shape" ... I guess I just never viewed myself as that ... however when you're at a point like I am where you can say to yourself ... "let's go run 8 miles tonight" ... you sorta need to be in shape for that ;) ... I'm actually starting to submit to the fact that I'm not just at average health, but I'm actually becoming quite healthy ... it's more than being at a healthy weight ... a friend or coworker who is also at my same BMI may not be able to join me for a 10k ... that takes some work to get there ... and for me, that's not even a challenging distance now! lol ... it's crazy!
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    mie is down too ! now at mid 60-70 yey !
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Great for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!