What would you wear?

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I have an interview tomorrow for a position in another department at work. The department is actually right next to mine so I know all the people, and I know the manager. She isn't quite a friend, but we're definitely friendly aquaintances.

Normally for a interview for another department, I would not dress AS nice as I would for an outside interview with another company (think button down shirt and dress pants vs. a skirt suit or something), but I'm a little stumped because tomorrow is casual Friday. I was all set to still wear jeans but pair it with a nicer top, but some of my freinds are telling me no, I should still dress as though it's an important interview.

It's not a secret that I'm interviewing, but of course not everyone knows and I really don't want a bunch of people asking why I'm not wearing jeans tomorrow....but if you were a hiring manager interviewing someone you already know and work with, would you be turned off if they came in for the interview in jeans and a nice shirt on casual Friday?

Replies

• Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and dress up. Better safe than sorry!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I were the manager, I wouldn't think differently of you if you wore your jeans and a nice top. She already knows how you dress on a regular basis. It is n't a case of "first impressions". Good luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Take a change of clothes...You don't have to turn up to the interview casual and you don't have to answer questions as to why you're not casual. bit of a pain maybe but better than getting it wrong or having multiple questions.
  • livingfitwithlori
    livingfitwithlori Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As a hiring manager myself, I would want to see you in your best interview attire.

When you dress up, you carry yourself with more confidence and you will show that you mean "business".

If there was not a reason to interview you, you would already have the new position correct? So some judgements will be made by the interviewer, don't make your appearance an issue they should judge.

Good Luck :)
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Follow your heart, girl. Honestly, if someone I already work with came to me in something completely out of character, I think I would wonder why they were so desperate to leave where they already are.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Definitely dress up. You are a candidate for a new job, and you will be compared to the other candidates, so you must dress appropriately. Also, being dressed up will put your brain and body language in interview-mode rather than "Casual Friday" mode.
    However, I would take a change of clothes, too--no reason to be uncomfortable all day!
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmmm maybe if you own and wear them a sundress with a cardigan. Its a very safe business casual option better than jeans and a nice top. You can also pair the sundress with a light colored blazer.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I agree with Loko. Dress up in your interview best. I have never said, "wow, that guy sure over-dressed for this interview." I appreciate people who take my time and the process seriously. The boss will probably say something like, "You didn't need to get all dressed up" but she will remember how seriously you took the interview, and that will come across as your desire for the position.

That's my take!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    As a hiring manager myself, I would want to see you in your best interview attire.

When you dress up, you carry yourself with more confidence and you will show that you mean "business".

If there was not a reason to interview you, you would already have the new position correct? So some judgements will be made by the interviewer, don't make your appearance an issue they should judge.

Good Luck :)

Well that last part doesn't apply, she may already know she wants to hire me, but protocol says she has to interview me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I think I will err on the side of caution and at least dress better than jeans and a nice top. Not sure what though, my clothes haven't been fitting very well lately :noway: I might need to go shopping tonight.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Could you do something like a wrap dress and a suit coat? I have a short sleeve black one that I wear with dresses and have other places to be brings the professional but I can take it off when it is over.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Friday is casual Friday for me also but I probably dress up more on those days. Jeans can be made very dressy if paired with some heels!