Vitamins?

jamfan
jamfan Posts: 124 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
Do Vitamins aid in weight loss? Everytime I go to GNC they are trying to push their multi on me? If you eat healthy and with variety does it matter, or is there some valid reason other than just because the public has been swayed by advertising?

Replies

• JLoBug1
    JLoBug1 Posts: 4
    Hm, I'd like to know this too. I don't take vitamins, but figure that I should. My boyfriend bought me Fiber, Omega-3, and a multi vitamin, but I always forget.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    the vitamins provide nutrients that your body may not be getting from your food. without the proper nutrients your body can't process things correctly.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Not to be rude, but what do you go into GNC to buy? Socks? :-)

Vitamins and supplements can help, but I have found that it takes time to work for each individual person. It depends on what you eat, how much you exercise, the amount of weight loss you want, and your age. I talk about, read about, listen to everything I can about what to/what not to ingest.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    My doctor says I should take a multi vitamin, fish oil, calcium and vitamin D - but I never remember to take them! Good thing I never relied on the pill for birth control or I would have a whole house full! I just forget.
  • alittle99
    alittle99 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm a huge supporter of vitamins- I have been taking them practically since birth! I know the main ones that are super beneficial to your health are 1)a good multi, 2)fish oils (omega-3s) and 3)vitamin D, especially for women. I take many others on top of these (e.g. vitamin C, a minerals vitamin, and a few others that aid in joint pain-- I have tendonitis). I rarely get sick and feel overall that I have a step up when it comes to my personal health compared to my peers who do not take vitamins. Not being sick = better workouts, better food decisions, better energy levels, etc...

Anyway- I'm sure there are a lot of people who disagree but I think with our current food suppliers/food industry the way it is today (i.e. highly processed foods with who knows WHAT additives included and nutrients stripped to preserve shelf life, etc), it is important for us to get our nutrients elsewhere-- read: from vitamins.
  • krizstyling
    krizstyling Posts: 40 Member
    Another lady asked about those vitapaks from GNC the other day and this is what I responded with:

As for GNC's Women's Ultra Mega Active...LOVE IT!!

I know you spent a good amount of money on it so you don't want to hear that you were scammed, although everyone reacts differently to diff vitamins, I find these to be the BEST vitapaks I have tried yet and I plan on sticking with them.

I was on a plateau for about 7 weeks, then I joined this site 11 days ago, and I bought those vitapaks. Since I began, I have already dropped 3lbs and I know it's in part due to the energy those vitamins give me. The energy is BONKERS and it's not even the jittery type some give you.

I duno if the fatty acid one is helping or not, but if it is, GREAT, I'll take it.

Anyway, I love these vitapaks. I seriously can't say enough about them.

A tip tho? Don't forget to take them daily! And also, if you are finding them hard to go down, try drinking it with orange juice...I can now take down all of them at once with one big gulp of orange juice. =) I usually take mine first thing in the morning with a bowl of flaxseed cereal or 2 pieces of light whole wheat toast.

Can't wait to hear how you feel about them after a week or so!

Also, sometimes they have them on sale for 29.99 (that's how I got mine) and then the first week of every month at GNC you can get 20% off your purchase with their gold card...Def worth a sign up!

__ All that aside, you do need vitamins (including fish oil)...I think that they are worth it. but like a poster above me said, they work differently for everyone. They give me SO much energy, I can DEFINITELY feel it. It's just a personal decision you have to make on which ones you prefer.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    I think GNC sells protein mixes and all kinds of other supplements that aren't vitamins right?

I use a stacker multi vitamin. It was the best thing I ever did. I don't know if it aided in weight loss or not. The particular one that i take ended up giving me a lot more energy, and seemed to curb my appetite a little, though it was not and did not contain any appetite suppressants. It also helped me power though work outs better (it contains 0 caffeine). When I don't take them I lose steam much sooner than when I am on them. I did notice about 10 pounds falling off me in the the first 2 weeks when taking them. I was already eating fairly well, and changed nothing about my exercise routine, or diet when I first started taking them.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    I look at taking vitamins and supplements kind of like insurance for your health. Even if you eat healthy, you might miss some nutrients, so taking them ensures you get all the nutrients you need.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Vitamins do not help with weight loss. They can help with your overall health if you are not eating enough vitamin rich foods. But getting your vitamins and minerals from food is best.

There have been some studies linking vitamins taken in pill form to increased risks of various diseases. Most hypotheses of these results are that it is the concentration of the nutrient being taken at once time, rather than the nutrient itself, that caused the increased incidence of the diseases. For example, there was a recent study of women where the participants who took calcium supplements had an increased incidence of atherosclerosis. The theory was not that taking too much calcium at once can cause calcium deposits to clog the arteries. Also, despite the claims on the bottles, many nutrients such as betacarotene and antioxidents have been shown not to have the same beneficial properties when taken in pill form.

That's why it's important to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables that have not been overcooked (heat destroys some vitamins and minerals so less is better). But some vegetables like tomatoes and many root vegetables are actually healthier after being cooked. Eat a variety of natural foods so that you get a good variety of natural nutrients.
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    I go to GNC to pickup whey as theirs seems to easily stir into milk the best (at least the chocolate). EAS & others clump terribly. I eat fairly healthy & am not looking for a quick fix or miracle weightloss. I follow many of the abs diet/mens health guidelines so I feel confident in my nutritional consumption. I just dont like putting anything in my body that doesnt need to be there is all and figured this forum gets good feedback.
This discussion has been closed.