Shin pain...please help!

Options
My shins hurt and are sensitive to touch after I jog. They feel like they are bruised.

On two different occasions I tried jogging and the next day I woke up to the pain. The first time I stuck with it for about 4 days until I couldn't take the pain anymore. After a few days off I tried again and within a minute all the pain came back.

I'm wondering if this is something everyone goes through when they first start a jogging routine or if it's an issue because of my knee/ankle history? I don't want to give up on jogging/running if this is simply my body getting used to a more intense workout, but I also don't want to hurt myself to where I can't walk...

Did any of you have this problem and get past it? How long did it take, ect.

Thanks!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's called shin splints, the best way to get some relief is to rub ice or ice packs up and down your shins for 10 minutes or so. They will go away, but some people are prone to them and others are not. My friend has found a lot of relief from them from switching from regular running shoes to Vibram Five Fingers.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I went through it and still do. Try and adjust your stride, posture, speed, etc. I find smaller steps, more upright positioning, and a bit slower pace seem to help. Good luck!
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No, you're not alone. I had the same thing happen to me. I tried cutting down and taking a few days off to heal and that didn't work. Every time I started back up I would get searing pain right up my shins. What I did was get new sneakers. I went to a special running sneaker store and had them fit me for shoes. Apparently I was turning my feet out when I jogged (they have a treadmill to watch you on) and I needed sneakers with more support. Then I took a few weeks off and now it doesn't hurt anymore. Also depends on if you're outside or on a treadmill. My treadmill suits me just fine but my boyfriend's treadmill makes my shins act up.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I found I couldn't run (or even walk quickly) on a treadmill without getting shin splints, but I'm fine outside - I must just run differently.
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    Chances are, they are just shin splints, but you need to listen to your body and pay attention to the pain so that you don't do what my sister did and aggravate it into a stress fracture.

I actually blogged about this a couple of weeks ago and included tips that my doctor gave me on how to deal with them and prevent them (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emciriaco/view/shin-splints-107055); I had to lay off running for a good week just until the pain went away.

Just take it easy on the road for a little while. You'll be ok!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a trainer who said that when you run your calf muscles get developed quicker than the muscles right around your bone, so when you run your calf muscles sort of lift your muscle away from the bone causing pain.

he said the best way to fix this is to walk on your heels. it strengthens those muscles. I do my cool down walking like this... It took me about 2 weeks of walking like that and I never had any more problems.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It's shin splints. Exact same thing happened to me when I started walking/jogging. Within a few minutes my shins would be burning. I tend to be a bit duck-footed so I have to watch how I align my feet and how I place my foot when I walk. The biggest thing to help was to use actual running shoes. I have Saucony shoes, Brooks would work too. My husband loves his Vibram Five Fingers. Just get something actually meant for runners. And replace them when the cushioning starts to go flat.

Also, watch where you're lacing your shoes. I have to lace mine lower than usual. Running shoes usually have two sets of holes at the top of the shoe. I can't use either. Lacing lower allows my foot to bend more naturally.

I've been walking/jogging for 3-4 months now. I was in agony for about 6 weeks until I started paying attention and making changes.
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    Shin splints? Really? I never would have imagined they caused this much pain.

Thanks for the responses. I have nice running shoes, so I think I'm going to try to experiment with my pace and stride and hopefully that will do the trick.
  • austrya
    austrya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My doctor diagnosed me with tendinitis, but it's the same thing. I always take 2 ibuprofen about 30 minutes before going out for a run and then ice my shin (only my left bothers me) when I get home and wrap an ace bandage around it for compression. I have very tight calves and stretching doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm going to have to try lacing up my shoes different and see if that helps.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, shin splints and they are excruciating! Also check your shoes, go to a running shop and have them check for you. I overpronate, and regular shoes make them really bad.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, RICE and get fitted for running shoes that fit your running style. It sounds as if the ones you have are not absorbing enough shock.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • austrya
    austrya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I took the laces out of the top holes and ran 3.65 miles with absolutely no pain. I am sooooo grateful for that tip!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Shin splints? Really? I never would have imagined they caused this much pain.

Thanks for the responses. I have nice running shoes, so I think I'm going to try to experiment with my pace and stride and hopefully that will do the trick.

I had nice, traditional running shoes too, and I got horrid shin splints right away with them. For years I didn't run for this reason. Once I switched to thin, flexible walking shoes, I have no more shin pain. Next up, I'm going to get a pair of minimalist shoes, probably vibram five-fingers like someone earlier mentioned! If your shoes are traditional running shoes with lots of padding and a thick heel, you might want to try minimalist shoes.