Does when you workout change the effectiveness?

Options
I was wondering if the time you workout changes how effective it is for weight loss, muscle gain. and any other health benefits.

I have been working out only in the morning right when I wake up. It helps me wake up and I like the fact that the heat doesn't get to me as much in the morning.

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    No
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No

This.
  • macenro
    macenro Posts: 160
    Options
    It seems like the best time to workout would be when your metabolism is least active. I just didn't know if night or morning changed anything.

Plus if I would workout during the day in the heat I would lose more water weight but does the heat burn more calories too with your body using energy to cool your core down?
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know I get a better workout & higher calorie burn when I work out around 10:00am. I have to get up & get moving in the morning. I can't just get up & exercise. Afternoons are hard for me because I'm dragging if I didn't get a morning workout in. And by night, I'm exhausted. I tried working out at 9pm last night & really struggled. If I get a late morning workout, I have more energy the rest of the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Only if it affects how hard your work at it.
  • Jasonk04
    Jasonk04 Posts: 3
    Options
    YES!! For some things. For example there is plenty of material which suggests that those who do cardio in the mornings, burn more fat over time then in the afternoon. This correlates directly with the fact that you tap immediately into your fat stores to fuel your workout. The take back however is that you won't have as much energy and fuel to support a more intense workout. Personally I prefer lifting in the afternoons, however on cardio days, try doing that in the morning before you eat!
  • jenny4994
    jenny4994 Posts: 7
    Options
    Logical thought makes me want to challenge the idea that the time of a workout does not alter weightloss. I am aware that the body uses the most easily accessible energy to fuel itself during exercise. If you exercise later in the day when you have been consuming food, the energy from the food is the most readily available fuel. If you exercise first thing in the morning before you begin eating for the day, this fuel is not available. In this case the body will use whatever is the next readily available fuel which is body fat (i'm guessing). I'm wondering if the use of food energy or body fat for fuel alters weight loss, one better than the other. I know that I seem to have better weightloss on the weeks where I fit in early morning exercise. Possibly a coincidence or maybe that is telling me that I burn body fat better when my body hasn't got readily available food energy...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This correlates directly with the fact that you tap immediately into your fat stores to fuel your workout.

That's flat out wrong. If you're body is burning fat directly you would be very lethargic.

It may make a difference when you work out. However, the difference isn't worth re-arranging your schedule...unless you're a professional athlete or olympic hopeful. If you're one of those you're extra-topical to this website.
  • marycompton
    Options
    as far as burning more calories in the heat-
    Our bootcamp trainer actually said, that the heat will obviously cause you to sweat more and flush out toxins. BUT, you burn more calories in the winter/ cold weather, because your body is working to keep you warm and burning extra calories by doing that.
    He has also said you can sort of mimick this by drinking 16 oz of ice cold water about 30mins before breakfast and you will burn extra calories just sitting there as your body tries to warm itself from the ice water.
  • jenny4994
    jenny4994 Posts: 7
    Options
    So in that case, what are you burning first thing in the morning if you haven't eaten for 12 hours or more? Just curious if it isn't body fat.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    You have carbohydrate stored in the muscles and liver (glycogen) that is broken into sugar to fuel your a.m. workout, if you haven't eaten anything that can raise your blood sugar.
  • Jasonk04
    Jasonk04 Posts: 3
    Options
    This correlates directly with the fact that you tap immediately into your fat stores to fuel your workout.

That's flat out wrong. If you're body is burning fat directly you would be very lethargic.

It may make a difference when you work out. However, the difference isn't worth re-arranging your schedule...unless you're a professional athlete or olympic hopeful. If you're one of those you're extra-topical to this website.

Just a brief article for FYI...
    http://www.buildingbodies.ca/Cardio/early-morning-cardio.shtml
    http://www.intense-workout.com/cardio.html

Again it's all based on preference. For me cardio in the mornings makes a difference, to each his own. 1 luv