Are there certin foods you just had to give up?

Options

Replies

• booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    Even if they reasonably can be kept in your diet?

I ask because I just had peanut butter for the first time in almost 5 months, now I feel like I've just started down a slippery slope, which is crazy because I've had worse things since I've been on this. The thing is though, I LOVE peanut butter, I LOVE it and I fear now it's going to make it's way back in and eat up a ton of calories for me.

It's the same with Mac & Cheese, I know I could have just a little bit and be fine but I fear if I have it once, that will be the end of my diet.

Are there things you gave up completely and other that you kept in your diet even though they might be just as bad as one another?

I can have a chip or I can have a piece of cake and not ruin a thing but for some reason I think if I have peanut butter or mac & cheese, I'm done.

Have you tried the PB2 Peanut Butter... it's really tasty and only 45 calories for 2tbs.... it's a powdered PB you have to mix water with it.... I like it a lot and use it instead of the normal all natural PB
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have to give up sweets for the most part, because once I have a piece of cake, I can't stop eating it until it's out of the house. Same with candy and donuts. I still do have them from time to time, but I try to not eat any until it's almost gone so that way there isn't so much temptation. I'm fine until that first bite, but then I'm like a crazed cake monster. :laugh:
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    . By the way, peanut butter is way healthy. .
    Not the way I eat it!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

I ask because I just had peanut butter for the first time in almost 5 months, now I feel like I've just started down a slippery slope, which is crazy because I've had worse things since I've been on this. The thing is though, I LOVE peanut butter, I LOVE it and I fear now it's going to make it's way back in and eat up a ton of calories for me.

It's the same with Mac & Cheese, I know I could have just a little bit and be fine but I fear if I have it once, that will be the end of my diet.

Are there things you gave up completely and other that you kept in your diet even though they might be just as bad as one another?

I can have a chip or I can have a piece of cake and not ruin a thing but for some reason I think if I have peanut butter or mac & cheese, I'm done.

http://www.bellplantation.com/

PB2 its dry peanut butter that just add water to and its only 45 calories, pretty yummy stuff too. It's not as creamy as the real thing so I add a 1/2 teaspoon 5 calorie I can't believe it's not butter non fat spread and problem solved.

Giving up anything... no I buy single serving size of the things that bring me to my knees and then when I do buy them I only buy one :)
  • AtomicDarling
    Options
    Bagels with cream cheese..... or just cream cheese in general. I had a bagel w/ cc yesterday. It was so good that I've promised not to have it again until goal weight is reached. It's just too good. I always want a second one and then I want to put on extra cream cheese or double it with cream cheese AND jam.... It's dangerous.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I don't really give anything up, but I feel you on the peanut butter front. I find myself just eating it out of the jar. It is healthy, but yeah--not if you sit and eat the entire jar-hahaha!!
  • Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Yup
    Mac n Cheese Yup
    Pizza Yup
    Cookies or any baked goods Yup

I have NO control when it comes to any of the above foods at all! I have had them since starting MFP however. My secret weapon has been giving stuff away for the most part. I have a pregnant cousin who has 2 little ones. So If I have a super craving I just make what I want and then invite them over to eat the rest. That way I get my 1 (okay 2) servings of Annie's and then get rid of the temptation!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    it depends on my mood but i usually love love cheeseburgers from those little hamburger spots...i love to have it with extra dressing and extra cheese.....yummy!!!!! i have had one so far since i've been on here but left it for my cheat day:) .,...,.there are other things like soda or ice cream i can crave at the moment and know i haven't had it in a long time i won't even take a bit....because like you i could see myself not just taking that one bit....but then there are other days i don't really crave it and can just have a 90 calorie coke if i want and not want to drink the entire 6 pack!!!! haha
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Bagels with cream cheese..... or just cream cheese in general. I had a bagel w/ cc yesterday. It was so good that I've promised not to have it again until goal weight is reached. It's just too good. I always want a second one and then I want to put on extra cream cheese or double it with cream cheese AND jam.... It's dangerous.

I love cream cheese too! I can't buy it though because I will eat the whole package in one day! Have you ever tried laughing cow swiss cheese? I put it on my bagel thins now instead of cream cheese and it tastes almost the same. And one wedge is only 35 calories.
  • sierracanbe
    Options
    peanut butter is an excellent source of protein, & if you check the label & buy sugar-free peanut butter, you're good to go =3

i've had to give up this fantastic broccoli cheddar potato dish that my boyfriend's father makes. 1cup of the stuff is like 700cals!! hurts so good!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's crazy I feel like Ijust gained back the whole 35lbs I've lost! even though I'll still be under my calories for the day by like 200 calories even after diner!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Anything you can't eat in moderation, avoid. I cannot have coffee. I don't need the caffeine and I can't have coffee without a pastry, so no coffee for me.
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Movie theatre popcorn :(
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this thread is really helping anyone. The more I read the postings.. the more I want all that stuff!!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is actually good in my diet. I can keep it to 1 T on a spoon though. The things I've had to avoid are: (tons, but here are a few): white rice, chocolate doughnuts, Dr. Pepper, Blimpies BLT on white, cream cheese dips, Rib Eye steaks, fast food burgers and fries. Thanks to MFP, I can see just what I'm eating, and don't want to put any of those items on here. It would take up an entire days worth of everything!! Possibly 2 days. It's getting easier.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    The high calorie bad stuff I love has become a once every other weekend event. I love chile verde burritios with extra cheese and beans. As you know, these things can run you from 1000 - 2000 calories. So, every other weekend I hit the gym twice on the day I'm going to eat one of those. I start off with 1200 calories each day. I burn approx. 900 calories during a 70 minute session on the elliptical. I go to the gym that morning and that evening an use the elliptical each time so I end up with about 3000 calories for food that day. Chili verde burrito here I come. Just plan for the day you're going to treat yourself and it works out fine. You have to work hard for that splurge and it makes the meal taste all so better...lol
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, I just work the things I love into my healthy diet. They more I denied myself, the more I would eat other things trying satisfy my cravings.

Same. I've never really had a food I can't resist. I used to eat a lot of brownies or sweets, I still eat them, just I will have 2 instead of 6.
  • determined3138
    Options
    I can so relate. I don't have an off button for pizza or mac-and-cheese. Well, the off button is when it's GONE. :)
  • rayaross
    rayaross Posts: 5
    Options
    I try not to buy anything I don't want to eat, Pizza is my favorite food, I did not give it up. I love going to the gym and will often go twice on those days I have enough calories to eat pizza. That is a treat about once a week. I do order, thin crust, light cheese and it is terrific. Diet or not, that is how I would order it. It is a good thing my wife eats the other half though.... That would be a unnecessary temptation. The numbers really help me. I am very analytical and having numerical guard rails for eating really helps me. Also knowing I can eat as much as I earn at the gym provides enough flexibility to be practical.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm all about no deprivation but there are two thing I just can't stay away from:

Ice cream (unless I buy it for hubby then I will stay away because it's "his" and he will call me on it if I eat any, bless his heart

Pistachios - I just can't stop at a reasonable portion, even when my fingers are practically bleeding from the salt and shell cracking. It's sad...