need to up my fibre but need low carb, ideas please, also wh

Davey789
Davey789 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 28 in Introduce Yourself
Hey i need to increase my fibre but keep my carbs low as im on a high protein low carb diet, can you please suggest nuts which meet this?

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    nuts are tough - for two reasons. One, they contain a lot of carbs. Most of us think of nuts as fat/fiber machines, but really, there are still a lot of carbs in them as well. Leafy greans are the answer. I eat baby spinach with almost every meal. (almost every meal is a ton of meat on top of a ton of spinach. Meat-Salad.) The other problem with many nuts is the high Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. Ideally, we would shoot for a 1:1 or 2:1 O-6/O-3 ratio, nuts will knock that out of whack, unless you're eating wild caught salmon daily.

The other thing is - I wouldn't worry too much about low fiber. If you've been grain-free for a while and are having issues in the bathroom, I would look at dairy intake (cheese...) first and cut that out and see if it helps. If you're newish to the low-carb/grain-free side of things, then just let your body adjust. It's a pretty amazing machine and will pretty quickly adjust to fairly low fiber.
  • jlm1182
    jlm1182 Posts: 19
    Its not nuts but Benefiber is awesome. I put it in nearly everything.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Get some flaxseeds and add them to your food.
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    i actually need A LOT of fiber in order to keep my digestion under control... i take Benefiber pills everyday... easy enough!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    this might be TMI but if you are going regularly and your poo floats, you are fine.

I dont' know if that is the case, but if it isn't there is also things like benefiber that you can mix in your drink or metamucil... I have never taken them and I dont' know how much flack I am going to get from MFP for suggesting those but they are options..

**braces for rebuttles**
  • joshholl
    joshholl Posts: 17
    depends on what you mean by carbs,

reason carbs are bad is that our bodies convert them to glucose, however fibre is a carb but its a non digestible carb so our bodies cannot turn them into glucose and in turn energy or fat. So based off of US nutrition labels, you have to subtract the amount of fibre from the amount of carbs to get the true amount, so for macadamia nuts (my fave on low carb, higher fat) its about 2 net carbs per 1/4 cup, still kinda high for little food but lots of fats for energy.

But the best way is to add flax seed to food some out since its a zero carb and great way to add fibre

Source:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/lo-carbing3.htm
  • mary4760
    mary4760 Posts: 3
    Hey there, here is a link you could check out! I have found that pecans, and coconut have the most fiber as far as nuts go. http://dietaryfiberguide.com/high-fiber-foods/best-dietary-fiber-sources-nuts/ Avocado has a lot of fiber as well.

Also, alot of vegetarian foods are high in fiber and low in carbs...ex. gardenburgers.

It can be hard to get enough fiber on a low carb diet. If you are having a hard time with being regular there is a wonderful tea called Smooth Move. its a tea that has senna leaf. You can buy it at your local health food store, and I do know that CVS pharmacy carries it. Here is a link to check it out. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/smoothmovetea

Good luck
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    As far as nuts go--Flax and Chia Seeds.

Wheat Bran; wheat bran cereals like All Bran with Extra Fiber, and Fiber One (look at labels carefully to determine if its ok for your diet needs). Spinach--you can put spinach in omelettes, as a salad, in alllll sorts of things. Asparagus, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Collared Greens, Avacodo, Blackberries.

All of those are High Fiber, low carb.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    GROUND psyllium husks...I have IBS and swear by them.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • Emilou9
    Emilou9 Posts: 44
    Psyllium husk and groung flax are both great. I mix two tablespoons of psyllium husk with crystal light and about 16oz of water and I get 10g of fiber. Avocado, tomatoes, jicama (very recommended on most low carb diets) artichokes, lima beans, and edamame are some vegetables that are high in fiber also.
This discussion has been closed.