Running with a Garmin

Options
2»

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, might I suggest an app? Look for RunKeeper on the Android and iPhone markets, me and my friends use it to track our runs through GPS and we end up making a competition out of it.

I use it to track all of my runs and it will map out where you ran to and everything, pace, time, and distance (everything so accurate). I think the only thing that lacks with smart phones is the HRM and calories burned features (which is why I'm looking to buy the Polar FT7M since it's cheaper than most of the Garmin's I've seen).
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 310XT is an awesome choice! It's a bit spendy (w/HRM close to $400). If you can afford it, go for it! If you can't, consider the Garmin 305. It's almost identical and goes for less than $130. What you are missing is the stellar battery life of the 301XT (20 hrs - great for endurance athletes vs 8hrs for the 305), and the 305 isn't as water friendly. You can get it wet, but don't go swimming with it. The 310XT truly is waterproof so it better for tri-athletes. The 305 is slightly larger. A few other little things, but if you are on a budget the 305 is the way to go. By the way, you can go 20+ with the 305 if you bring the el-cheapo duracell AA portable charger with lithium batteries. Strap it to your wrist when you battery gets low and re-charge on the run.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only reason I now have GPS watch is because it was a gift. But I will say its kind of nice to just take off into the trails and know how far I went when I'm done.
    I still don't like to rely on it for setting my pace, I'd rather "feel" how fast I'm running and whatever it turns out to be, just go with it.
  • ineednapkin
    ineednapkin Posts: 151
    Options
    I love my Garmin 305!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My running really improved when I got my Garmin, the information I receive really keeps me motivated.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've had a Garmin 305 for 5 or 6 years now and never run without it. One of these days I'll get a newer model, but can't justify giving up the old one since it still does the job wonderfully!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 305, or should I say had. It died about a month ago. I loved it while it was working. However it lasted less than 2 years before dying, which is so disappointing after others have had their units last for 4 or more years. I will say one drawback is that on longer runs, it was so heavy that my arm would start to go numb at the end, and I wore it lose.

So for now I just use my polar HRM. So much lighter! I do have my eye on the 610 though. Trying to determine if it is worth the price, especially since my 305 gave out so easily.