stay at home mama excersize ideas???

Options
I have a 6 month old baby boy that makes it very difficult for me to do anything that doesn't directly involve him! We walk 1-2 hrs a day but I want to switch it up. I feel like during naps I'm doing dishes, laundry, cleaning, showering or preparing meals so I really don't have much alone time and his dad doesn't come home til 9 pm from work so I can't go somewhere to work out. My living room is basically a playroom covered in toys making it difficult to do work out dvds. I can do them amd clean up and am open to them I just never really could find anything I like. What do you like? How do you male time for work outs with a baby amd house to maintain?! :huh:

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old along with 2 yr old so I understand. I use dvd's-I make sure the baby is fed and changed and put him in his swing and /or bouncer-if he starts fussing I pause my workout and switch him to a diff location.otherwise I wait till he naps then squeeze in what I can-I try to make it intense workouts so what little bits I do get help burn more. I've read where some moms do workouts after kids go down to bed at nite. Another possibility-also mayb when ur husband gets home get 30 min in of a dvd or treadmill? Good luck!
  • Thebeezknees
    Options
    DVDs. Also, there are some great workouts designed to incorporate your baby into your workout. Check with your local library ! You could design a toy pick up system with your workout...ie. Placing a pile in front of you and with each lunge pick one up.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    its hard bc when he gets home all O want to do is spend time with him bc he works like an animal! Any suggestions for 15-30 min dvds?
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    How about squats? And shadow boxing? Those are both really quiet while the baby is sleeping.

While the baby is awake. Squats with the baby in your hands? Baby lifts?

My cousins have a lot of kids. Every time we have a get together I end up being the one lifting the kids in the air and playing with them because everybody else is too busy chit chatting with each other. And I'll tell you what. Picking kids up over and over and over is exhausting.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton has a 10 minute trainer video, you can do 10-20- or 30 minutes, I hear they are awesome!
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to join a gym with childcare? I know it's not in everyone's budget, but it's been an absolute lifesaver for me. I've got 4 (8,6,4 and 2) and my husband is deployed, so I know how hard it is to balance everything. Going a gym with childcare gives me two hours a day of ME time. It's awesome.

If that's out of your budget, I really like the Jillian Michaels DVDs. 30 Day Shred is $10 or so at Target and I think Ripped in 30 is on sale this week for $9. 30 minutes and great workouts.
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    Do you babywear? If so, put the baby (securely) in a wrap or carrier and do some body weight movements (lunges, walk up stairs, etc).

Or, keep a pair of dumbells handy and do three sets of the following each time you have a few minutes:

bicep curls
    tricep extension
    shoulder press
    rows
    reverse flies
    squats
    lunges

No need to do them all at the same time, but if you can spare 20 minutes do them in a row to get your heart rate up!
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Baby wear is great when trying to lose weight. Also DVDs are fantastic, 10 minute trainer I also heard was good if you really are pressed for time and put 10 minutes here and there to get a full workout. I have a 3 year old and 20 month old and a hubby who works some crazy hours so I too know how hard it is. I usualIy wake up before the sun comes out so I can do my workouts. If I don't get a chance then I just do my workout DVD's with them around and make sure they have enough of everything so I can do my thing. Now they love doing the workouts with me and dance along, it's really cute!
  • lalalazzz
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions I think I'll order Jillian M or one or the dvds suggested. Childcare at the gym is no good for us, we don't vaccinate and he is not crazy able babywearing. I have an ergo but he wants to get out after like 10 min.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Exercise is definatly hard with kids! I have a 17 month old and a 7 week old. I have a wii and use the EA active and wii fit, these work better for me than videos because my kids will watch the TV and me when doing it. I let my toddler hold the extra wii remote and he swings it around, he likes to feel included!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Now that your little man is 6 months old, you might want to think about throwing him in a jogging stroller and running. I got a jogging stroller free from a friend (I just asked around if anyone was done with theirs.... ) and then I started the Couch to 5K, which a program designed to get your from being completely out of shape to running for 30 minutes straight. I thought my baby didn't like the jogger, but she cries and cries if she sees me going out for a solo run (some mornings when Daddy is home to watch her).
    I also did the 30 Day Shred... it's an awesome workout... but your little one has to be semi-capable of playing by himself for a bit. My daughter mimics me doing the video and it's hilarious to watch her do "jumping jacks" and "pushups" right along with mommy.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to hand the baby off to dad for an hour or whatever to work out, or is that too late? I'm a SAHM, too,to a 9 month-old, and after months of putting her in the carrier, going for walks or jogs with her on my back (which was a challenge, considering she's over 21lbs), or trying to do yoga while she sat and fussed at me for not holding her, I finally talked to her dad, and decided I have an hour 5 days a week where I get to go for a run, longer on my long run days. I give him time to do his thing when he gets home, and then I head out of an hour. I know he's tired from work, but honestly, I had to put my foot down and tell him that after taking care of another human being all day, every day, without any break whatsoever, I get my time, even if it's an hour, because I deserve it. The money we save from daycare is my "job", and my hour-long lunch break is necessary.

I don't know if that's possible for you, but I had to do that, or else I would have lost my sanity a while ago.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I take a nap period to work out, the dishes will still be there & so will the laundry but that's my hour. And sometimes I work out with her awake, I pop in a Baby Signing Time DVD and pop my workout DVDs in my laptop on the other side of the room and workout. Most of the times she tries to mimic the movements or laughs at me.
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    its hard bc when he gets home all O want to do is spend time with him bc he works like an animal! Any suggestions for 15-30 min dvds?

Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is only 20 minutes and its a killer workout.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    For the record, it's dangerous to jog with babies being carried on your front, side, or back. Their necks and spines aren't ready for the jolting.. Please don't do it. Think of it as shaken baby syndrome.
    That is also why jogging strollers (which are much much much smoother than running with the baby in a carrier) aren't recommended for babies under 6 months old.
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh, girl, I've been there!! I agree u should do the Jillian Michaels dvd's. I've never really liked doing DVD workouts but this is perfect for u because it's only 20 minutes (at least 30 day shred is). I have 3 kids & it has been a life saver (or waist saver). I can always find 20 minutes.
  • lalalazzz
    Options
    I do yoga 2xs a week at a studio, that I didn't mention. So it's not like I'm a total slave to my house ! I'm going to try JM 30 day shred and mahbe searvh craigslist for jogging strolller. I def like the idea of having his bideo on amd using dvd on laptop. Brilliant!
  • lalalazzz
    Options
    omg don't mind my iphone typing!!
  • MiaMcBetty
    MiaMcBetty Posts: 45
    Options
    You could try the Hollywood Triainer - Kickboxing Bootcamp DVD.. It does go for an hour but it's fun and such a good workout! BUt I can understand it would be difficult trying to get all the chores and housework done while the little one is asleep.. Good luck!
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    For the record, it's dangerous to jog with babies being carried on your front, side, or back. Their necks and spines aren't ready for the jolting.. Please don't do it. Think of it as shaken baby syndrome.
    That is also why jogging strollers (which are much much much smoother than running with the baby in a carrier) aren't recommended for babies under 6 months old.

I very much agree with this, to the extent it needed to be quoted and repeated. Please do not run/jog while wearing your baby. You can walk and you can do weightbearing exercises. But nothing that will bounce the baby repetitively (e.g. jogging, jumping jacks, etc.)