Gadget Review - Omron Body Fat Analyzer

Options
ghoztt
ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
Along my weight loss journey, I've been playing with various tools and toys to help my progress along. I decided to pick up one of these body fat percentage analyzers to check my progress mainly because I was definitely losing inches but my weight wasn't dropping all that quickly so I figured I was gaining muscle as I was losing weight. I'm the type who likes to see/analyze/work with numbers and so having everything right there in front of me in 80s-style digital watch numbers was a great.
25047_11.jpg

This little gadget is used to measure how much of your total weight is fat using what's called bioelectrical impedance. Basically it sends a tiny (unfeelable) electrical signal through your body and measures the resistance to determine your fat percentage. Most of our body's total weight comes from bones, blood, muscles, water and fat. Everything but fat conducts electricity very well so it takes the data that you enter manually (sex, age, weight, height) and uses that data along with the electrical resistance data it takes to measure your body fat percentage.

Below is a chart showing the various body fat percentage ranges and what they mean in terms of health.
asset.aspx?id=11

From the research that I had done before purchasing this unit, I understand that one of the more accurate forms of measurement is the pinch test where they take calipers and pinch your fat to calculate your body fat percentage but I wanted something that I could do that was quick and easy. The device may not give the perfect reading but as long as it is accurate with itself I can compare it to my previous reading to check my progress. I mean even if a scale's numbers are off by 500 pounds, if it shows 490 pounds after a month of working out it's still a 10 pound loss, right? :smile: There are also estimation sites available on the web like this one (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator) but rather than take all those measurements and plug them into the calculator, I felt the device was easier to use.

I purchased mine from Amazon for right around $25 (qualifies for free shipping!). Amazon's reviews were mixed but was overall good and it arrived pretty quickly. It comes with batteries and was very easy to set up. There are 9 slots for different user's profiles plus a guest profile available. It was straightforward to use as well. Select your user profile, hit start then hold it out at arms length 90 degrees from your body until it finishes the reading.
omron_body_logic_fat_analyzer_hbf_306_use_3.gif
When complete it will display your body fat percentage as well as your BMI (body mass index). Personally I do the reading 2 or 3 times just to make sure the numbers aren't wildly off but they are usually within .1% of the initial reading if it varies at all. The manual recommends that you take your reading either first thing in the morning or at least 2 hours after a meal. I would personally recommend that you also take the reading at the same time every day as you would when weighing yourself.

My overall impressions are great and I am very pleased with the device. I would definitely recommend one if your budget allows, especially if you're a numbers and gadget geek like me.

Pros:
-Easy to use
-Consistent with itself
-Fast measurements
-Inexpensive

Cons:
-May not be 'true' numbers accurate
-A little cheap feeling

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have the white one that was out before the black model. I love it. Most people can't afford a dexa scan and a lot of insurances won't cover the cost so this to me is the next best thing. If you have a lot of fat rolls the cailpers won't measure you correctly so this is another reason why this is good.

My nutritionist has one and both hers and mine give me the same number for my body fat % so I give it a thumbs up as well.
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow, out of curiosity I looked up what a dexa scan would cost and it's around $200-$300. Ouch! I don't watch Biggest Loser but apparently they use this thing called a Bod Pod that you sit inside an air tight chamber and it pressurizes to measure your body composition as well. If you can find one near you, the places seem to charge anywhere from $40-80 a session which would be more affordable but still not exactly cheap. Cool looking machine, it reminds me of those scifi stasis chambers.
    bodpod_lg.jpg
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks for posting this review: i just used one of these this morning and was intrigued and, no surprise, not totally happy with my results, lol!. I had just finished a cup of coffee and a banana and was chatting w a trainer and he let me try it out. We agreed that my hydration could throw off today's results, so i am not completely convinced the number was accurate, but close. Anyhoo, was thinking to grab one because one of my 2012 goals is to lose fat and gain muscle and let the # on the scale end wherever it needs to end to get under 25% body fat (note: my bmi is 24.4 but my body fat % read at 32%! yikes! :grumble: ) This will help me track my progress toward my goal. I will be sure to use it first thing in the morning after using the restroom, for consistency's sake. ..... I am a total number and gadget geek.... I'm off to hunt down a good price :laugh:
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was just checked with one of these things. 10.7%??? Sorry, but this girl says its wildly inaccurate :(
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started. I used to do customer service for Omron.
  • redstrom
    Options
    I own one of these gadgets and have been using it for nearly a year. I'm convinced they don't work. I was heavy with a lot of fat when I first started and then lost a lot of weight burning fat which the fat monitor showed but then I began to build muscle and put on weight again.

This time it wasn't fat weight that I added. I show cut lines in my arms and my stomach muscles are starting to pop out. There's no why my fat % has increased but sure enough the fat monitor is showing me with an increasing fat % taking me closer to where I was when I was fat. In my opinion the fat monitor works more with height and weight then electrical resistance.

Same goes for BMI. If you are muscular then the BMI formula is worthless.