what's the deal...

Options
So, I've been on the scale for the FIRST time in a while. 3 years ago, I weighed 30lbs less. 3 months ago, I weighed EXACTLY the same as I do now (i've been working my butt off and trimming down since then and my weight has NOT budged). Currently my BMI is over 26. But I've dropped 3 sizes. And My legs look thin, my arms look good.....I feel great, better than I did 3 years ago.

I'm just curious as to how I look thinner than I did 3 years ago when my BMI was 21.
I mean...really? It's a bit crushing. I don't really know what to do.

I just want to be well into the "healthy zone" so I can afford to gain a few and not be overweight...I feel like I look good. (wow, I sound ridiculously vain, but I hope you understand my shock!!) but I want my BMI to be around 21-22.

Can someone help me explain this?

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So, I've been on the scale for the FIRST time in a while. 3 years ago, I weighed 30lbs less. 3 months ago, I weighed EXACTLY the same as I do now (i've been working my butt off and trimming down since then and my weight has NOT budged). Currently my BMI is over 26. But I've dropped 3 sizes. And My legs look thin, my arms look good.....I feel great, better than I did 3 years ago.

I'm just curious as to how I look thinner than I did 3 years ago when my BMI was 21.
    I mean...really? It's a bit crushing. I don't really know what to do.

I just want to be well into the "healthy zone" so I can afford to gain a few and not be overweight...I feel like I look good. (wow, I sound ridiculously vain, but I hope you understand my shock!!) but I want my BMI to be around 21-22.

Can someone help me explain this?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the drop in size!!

Second of all, three years ago were you toned and have lean mass or just skinny? Muscle is denser (takes up less space) than fat. So it is possible to be leaner and still weigh more than you did. That, and the BMI can be misleading sometimes. I would have a density test performed at a gym.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    i feel like i was toned...i had a trainer at the gym, but i didn't do weights as much, so i do attribute a lot of it to that. but, 30lbs? really?

I just added an extra day of heavy weight training to my workout since then...I guess I can't worry too much about it...as long as i feel good.
  • loseronpurpose
    Options
    I really, really don't like the BMI testing. It generalizes so much that I feel it is inaccurate. For instance, BMI was taken at my high school, and ALL of the athletes were ranked as obese! BMI doesn't take muscle mass into account, just height and weight. Also, we all have different bodies. I am built like a 5 foot 5 person; however, I am only 5 foot. Every part of me is a little denser because I have 5 foot 5 muscles in a 5 foot person. This is true especially for my legs.

Basically, I don't trust BMI. They have things out there that are more accurate. I know there is one machine you hold in both hands and it can actually measure your muscle to fat mass through harmless electric pulses. Also, see how your cardio health is and your strength. I think these are much better indicators of health instead of BMI.

Also, congrats on you loss! You rock! :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    BMI, unless done in water, is notoriously unreliable.

I am 5'2" tall and weigh 150
    my best bud is 5'2" and 145

She has six pack abs, legs that could push a truck, arms that could lift it. She is SOLID muscle. If she put her weight in here it would show she is in overweight range with BMI of around 26.

So 3 sizes......Celebrate my friend, CELEBRATE!! :drinker: