Dieting and Breastfeeding

Options
I am trying to lose weight while breastfeeding, but I'm finding that I am constantly hungry! I'm thinking about food 24-7! What types of foods and snacks will make me feel full without being too many calories?

Replies

• Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I was breast feeding I was always hungry too! Breast feeding take about 500-700 cals a day so you should be adding extra calories to you daily intake, your body needs it expecially if you are exercising too. Drinking lots of water also helps some.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding, too! I've been exclusively breastfeeding for 9 months and counting now. It's awesome. :)

And I know how you feel with being hungry all the time. I have to constantly snack, because I feel like I can eat, and then a hour later, I'm hungry again. I try and eat things with a lot of fiber, like oatmeal or whole grains, and things like fruit, which have a lot of fiber and natural sugars. I snack on almonds and pistachios a lot, as well. Also beans! I end up eating a lot of beans lately, in soups or homemade chili, because they fill me up with only a cup or two, and they're also a great source of protein.

And also on the note of protein, I like to eat more lean meats, like red meat and chicken, because the protein takes longer to break down, and fills me up.

Really, what has helped me so much his eating a lot of smaller snacks throughout the day, like nuts, salads, granola bars; I can't sit down and have a huge meal, because then I feel starving an hour later, and I would have used up a huge portion of calories. Snacking is also encourage to keep up your supply, actually, so snack, just make sure they're healthy snacks!

Also what helped with my appetite was cardio exercise, like running or jogging, because when I go running, I don't feel as starving as if I just sat around all day. You burn about 300-500 extra calories a day when you're breastfeeding, but that varies, depending on how old the baby is, how often they're eating, if they're sleeping through the night, and whether or not they're getting solids. You should consider about 300 cals a good minimum for it, though, as a good rule, so you can add that in when you're figuring out your calories.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You're burning tons of calories while BFing.. Just try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. Don't restrict your calories or diet.. just eat! Worry about dieting after your done breasfeeding, JMO :P
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm no help but when I was nursing exclusively, my supply decreased (noticed when pumping) when i tried to go on a diet! So I gave up on that quickly and didn't get back onto MFP until I stopped nursing during the day (11 lbs lost since in May). The lactation consultants advise not to "diet". Of course, i took that as eat whatever you want and gained 20 lbs! Yikes! I think if you just eat when you're hungry and healthier foods, you'll be on the right track. I was more concerned with providing the milk to my son than the weight I was gaining.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In your food diary search "breastfeeding", then pick the appropriate entry and it will add more calories to your daily goal.
  • spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding I had the same problem! I found that eating food that is high in protein helped satisfy "the beast". String cheese and almonds helped a lot. And don't deny yourself treats. Just make them small. I would eat everything in the house instead of just having one Hershey Kiss or a bite of that cheesecake and getting it off of my mind. I probably consumed more calories trying not to eat those "forbidden" foods. Just make sure you eat a lot of real food. You can eat TONS of veggies without making a huge dent in your calorie count for the day.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You're burning tons of calories while BFing.. Just try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. Don't restrict your calories or diet.. just eat! Worry about dieting after your done breasfeeding, JMO :P

I share your opinion. I think you should totally eat while BF'ing, just eat healthy foods not junk.
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding my 17 going on 18 month old son. The more he demand for the milk, the more hungry I get. So I snack on apples, banana, peaches, pineapple, grapes, strawberries, celery, carrots, peppers. I also eat yogurt with my each meal. When i am still hungry, I look for something that is high in protein. Sometime I am STILL hungry, it took me a while to figure out! So then I decided to try brown rice with meat and veggie..it seem to satisfy me. BUT it varies each day.

I do not know about how much calories I burned while I'm breastfeeding. How do I know? 300? 500? or what.. It's nice to talk with other breastfeeding mothers about this idea.

My doctor told me I could diet while breastfeeding as long I am eating HEALTHY food...

Thanks! :)
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! All of the posts above have helped...it's good to know i'm not alone!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    In your food diary search "breastfeeding", then pick the appropriate entry and it will add more calories to your daily goal.

Thanks, I didn't know there was such a thing to add! I was always curious about that! :)