Expired Protein Powder- safe or not?

Options
I just found a 4lb container of the Maxpro Pure Protein Powder that my husband used to drink. Well, silly me...I didn't check the expiration date before I drank it. It taste fine to me (for now that is). Turns out that it expired on 01/11. So now I'm curious, is it harmful to continue drinking it or am I safe?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would not say its harmful necessarily, however amino acids break down overtime, meaning they are not going to be as effective or effective at all for that matter. Which means, it may be as meaningful to the body as consuming saw dust. Actually saw dust may be more nutritious.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've used some in the past that was over 18 months past...I've never heard of any problems....of course I did grow a third ear on the back of my head....
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I found some shoved in a back cabinet that was my brother's. It's not quite expired, but it's close!
    I' still like to be able to use the rest though :P
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My general thought is why risk it? If you can afford to buy new protein powder, I would go ahead and do so.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My general thought is why risk it? If you can afford to buy new protein powder, I would go ahead and do so.

Why waste it if it'll do no harm? It doesn't hurt to ask around.
    (:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Does it have a "use by" or a "best before" date? Use by dates should not be exceeded, best before dates just mean that the product cannot be guaranteed to be at its best and that the nutritional information may not be accurate as certain products break down. As it is already dried I don't think there should be much of a problem to be honest. The Best before date is based on a minimum time frame in the worst conditions. Example crisps stored in damp conditions with bright light will last a minimum of the BBD stated but kept in optimal conditions you will get far far beyond the BBD...I've had some 12 months out of date and they were as crisp as you can get