Whey Protein question

P90XCertifiedCoach
P90XCertifiedCoach Posts: 369
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
My buddies are telling me I should take whey protein and instead of reading all of the technical terms I figured I would ask ya'll. I want to know if I should try taking this while trying to loose weight. They have told me it will help with muscle recovery an dhelp my metabolism. Is this true. Any and all advice on whey is appreciated.

Replies

• ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Whey protein is absorbed very quickly. Its great for drinking after a workout to get protein back into the body.
  • emetita
    emetita Posts: 2 Member
    Whey protein helps creating a lean muscle and with recovery as well and helps losing weight. Just have to watch what kind you should be taking. They are tons in the market. Try to pick one that is low in sugar.
  • Cool do you think I should take while trying to lose weight., do you have one that you take for low sugar.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Yep you can take the whey protein. It doesn't effect your weight loss. Its good for muscle recovery because its easy for your muscles to absorb.
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    I like Jay Robb Whey, there are several flavors, I like the unsweetened one, the others are too sweet. There is no sugar and no artificial sweeteners. The protein is sweetened with Stevia. Be sure and choose one with no artificial sweeteners, they are neurotoxins, make your brain cells perish shortly after you eat it! Also be sure you get one made from cows that do not take hormones or antibiotics, Jay Robb is rBgh free. Also Dr. Mercola has a great one on his site.

BTW Krogers carries it so does Whole Foods and you get a great deal at www.vitacost.com
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    I use Muscle Milk Whey Protein Powder (Chocolate or Vanilla) bought in 6 pound bags at Costco. I have been using it as a breakfast meal replacement since I started my weight loss journey back in January. On heavy exercise days, I may have 2 shakes...one food breakfast, one as a snack after the workout.
    My normal breakfast shake on workout days is:
    1 Scoop Vanilla Muscle Milk Protein Powder
    1 Frozen Banana
    2 Tablespoons Almond Butter
    1 Serving (140g) frozen fruit (bought at Costco)
    Blend till delicious!

I also picked up Body Fortress Cookies N' Cream Whey Protein just for a change of pace.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    I do a mix of Whey and Cassein protein. There are difference in absorption rates. But it more important that you hit your protein goals for the day then it is trying to pick which one to use. Whey is the easiest to dissolve... and makes it easier for the body to digest. Most go with protein powders because the cal vs protein value is optimal for trying to get you goals in for the day. I can't eat enough natural protein sources in a day with messing with my other macro nutrients too badly..
  • granneybec
    granneybec Posts: 10
    It does help with burning fat instead of muscle. I think I have tried every protein drink out there and they all taste like drinkin metal unless they have a lot of sugar in them. I like Unjury chocolate spendor added to skim milk with 1 tsp of hot chocolate powder and it taste like a great chocolate milk without the metal taste. It has 28 grams of protein for 8 ounce glass and it only has 4 carbs, it has 180 calories counting the skim milk. Their strawberry is pretty awful and I haven't tried the other flavors.
This discussion has been closed.