Cut My Hair Off For Locks of Love

2»

Replies

• Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    I've done this once too!!! Such a great organization!! And your new haircut looks lovely.
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Very cute!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    I did that a few years ago. It was so long I was sitting on it. My hair was too thick to put in one ponytail and cut, so she had to make 2 ponytails. I donated two 15 inch long ponytails. Hopefully it helped someone out. I also lost 5 pounds just by cutting off all that hair.

Good job!! Lock of love is a great charity.:flowerforyou:
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    I'm ashamed to admit I'm emotionally attached to my hair and it would kill for me to cut it.. but I commend you for doing something so awesome. My friend here, laughingdani as also done it before. I really admire those who do.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I'm ashamed to admit I'm emotionally attached to my hair and it would kill for me to cut it.. but I commend you for doing something so awesome. My friend here, laughingdani as also done it before. I really admire those who do.

Thanks Chrissy! :flowerforyou:

Yes, I have donated many times. Each time donating 13-14 inches.
    I think it is such a great thing to do if you are willing and able. Luckily, I am one of those rare people that has hair that grows extremely fast. So, it doesn't take me long to grow it all out again and then cut it off.

Congrats!!! You did an awesome thing! :happy:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    I'd never heard of Locks of Love before (I'm in the UK) so I've just googled it....and all I can say is Well done you and everyone else doing this. A very worthy cause!

And the shorter hair definitely suits you!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    You are so very awe-inspiring! I love it! Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    It's admirable that you've donated your hair for a worthy cause, and your new cut looks great!

But for those of you thinking of donating your hair in the future, please consider donating to a different charity. Locks of Love has a very bad reputation amongst those of us with long hair. Their claims of donating wigs for cancer kids are not accurate. They charge most of the families for the wigs, and they sell a lot of the hair that is donated.

There are several other, more deserving charities out there that actually provide free wigs for people with cancer. Please research some of those before you donate to Locks of Love.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade OP. I just hate how LOL lies about their charity.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    BBB shows them as a reputable charity for 2010 - Hopefully they are on the up and up by now.
    Your heart was in the right place.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    I just googled what it is, and it is an awesome initiative... Bravo for doing it!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Awwww.....Hooray for you for doing such a great and selfless thing! You look great!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Remember that time when Locks of Love had the mission statement of "Making Children Feel Beautiful" like they were some vastly inferior product?

New MFP Motto: "Website To Help You Become Beautiful!"
    -wtk
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Good for you. :flowerforyou: I love the new short hair cut. Very pretty.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    That's awesome! I've known people who have benefited from Locks of Love, and people who have donated, and it really makes a difference! Thanks!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    AWESOME!!! I've donated a few times. I usually grow mine down to my waist and then chop it to shoulder length. They usually can get 2 full wigs out of my hair. I love doing it....I have several friends that donate as well. It's such an easy thing to do and costs nothing except the cut (except in your situation...lucky you).

BTW- your hair looks amazing!
  • toddgaines
    toddgaines Posts: 130
    I have an appointment to donate mine this Tuesday....
This discussion has been closed.