How do you distribute your calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I try to keep Breakfast and Lunch between 300 to 400; Snacks are between 150-200. I ususally have ALOT left at dinner and never eat them all back. Snacks are almost always veggies, fruit, and some reduced fat wheat thins. I find I need to load my carbs early in the day or else my stomach growls alll darn day.
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am up early (am)..so my breakfast is at 6. Then at 9, I have a homemade fruit smoothie. (strawberries, blueberries, vanilla yogurt..that kind of mix). Between 11-noon, I have lunch, which is usually a salad with chicken, or an open faced sandwich, with veggies and fruit. Around 2, another snack. Dinner at 6. Some days, this works really well for me..other days, I have a hard time making through the day.

I really like this topic and question, but now I'm wondering..."what do you all eat?" I'm always on the lookout for new snacks and meal ideas that are healthy, filling and won't break my 'calorie bank'. Do you have any go-to foods that you eat often because they are safe foods? What about your meals..what do they consist of? Again..always looking for foods to try, that will keep me feeling satisfied longer. :)
    Thanks for posting this topic..it's a good one. :D
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone whose snacks make up half of their calories. That's me! I usually eat 300 calorie meals (sometimes one meal is up to 500), and snack all day long. lol. For me the work out is the most important so I can earn "extra calories"... when I do this, I don't meet the daily allotment... I'm on Day 3 though, so I'll let you know if it works. lol.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I find annoyed with truly small snacks I am on a 1600 calorie diet:

400-breakfast
    400-lunch
    400-after work
    400-dinner

AND! When I work out for 500 calories (3-5 days a week depending on how well behaved I am) I get an extra big dinner, dessert OR I only eat back some of it (ensuring I am over 1200 and not miserable) and go to sleep for the night
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more at night, but I try to have something every 3-4 hours. The morning sometimes is the only exception for me.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    you can look at my diary, its open! I also eat about every 2 hours. Breakfast at 7, Snack at 10, another snack (protein bar) before my 11:30 run, lunch at noon, snack at 2, snack at 4, workout at 5, protein shake at 6 or 7, dinner at 7:30-8 and another snack (if I have enough calories) at 9-9:30. I find Im always looking foward to that next snack lol!!
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    I try to eat the majority of my calories during the day, having lunch be the most heavily caloric. I eat snacks in between as well (eat about every3 hours). The key is to make sure you have enough PROTEIN with every meal/snack. Protein takes longer to break down and therefore keeps you feeling dull longer. Plus protein is great food for the muscles!!. You can friend me and look at my food diary.

Hope this helps.
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Meal timing, size, and frequency have no benefits in regards to your metabolic rate. You can eat all of your calories in ONE sitting vs. 6 sittings and total daily energy expenditure would be the same. Eating small frequent meals does not "boost" your metabolism.

No offense, but I 100% disagree with this statement.

Why is that?

*I should disclaim that my statement was not intended for anyone with diabetes or another metabolic disorder.

I'm actually inclined to agree with the first statement. I think more research shows that it doesn't matter what time your eat or how much you eat in one sitting, etc. You could consume your totall allotment of calories at 2am only every day and still come out the same as someone dividing the same amout of calories up over a period of a day. I personally prefer to eat mine over the course of the day but it's pretty much this: Whatever timing that you find works best for you is probably best.

However....I would also point out that a strenuous workout on an empty stomach is not a good idea. It's also smart to eat something right after working out - particularly protein after lifting weights, etc. to best repair your muscles.