protein shakes...

Options
jalapenos
jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
when should I drink them, before or after a workout?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always drink them after, but I know a lot of people drink them before. I don't like the feeling of anything in my belly when I go to the gym - (and I really don't want ANY carbs before hand...).
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you drink them. Won't make a difference if you drink it when you first wake up or right before you go to sleep. 30, 40, 60, 300 minutes after a workout. If you are short on your protein goals then I would suggest a protein shake, but don't consume it thinking there are any benefits associated with drinking them directly after a workout. That is a myth.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    They say taking the protein after is better as it helps to rebuild the muscles.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

They were wrong. Protein timing around a workout does not increase overall protein synthesis.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Overall daily nutrition is what matters.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's best to take the shakes after a workout. I would explain in my own words, but it won't be anywhere near as beneficial as this conversation (on a body building/fitness forum):

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/diet-nutrition/3676-protein-shake-before-after-work-out.html
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are drinking it for. If you are drinking it simply to get more protein in your diet then you can drink it at anytime of the day, but if you are doing strength exercises, it's very beneficial to have the protein both before AND after, but ESPECIALLY after to feed and help repair those muscles you just worked.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you drink them. Won't make a difference if you drink it when you first wake up or right before you go to sleep. 30, 40, 60, 300 minutes after a workout. If you are short on your protein goals then I would suggest a protein shake, but don't consume it thinking there are any benefits associated with drinking them directly after a workout. That is a myth.

Um. Having protein right after a workout isn't a myth. There are many studies showing that protein post-workout helps in muscle repair and growth.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

They were wrong. Protein timing around a workout does not increase overall protein synthesis.

Why do you say this? Because EVERY single study I have ever read said after a tough workout, your body has an hour in which is really accepts nutrients and having protein and carbs helps with muscle growth and reduce soarness. Do you have any links where we can read otherwise?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    It's best to take the shakes after a workout. I would explain in my own words, but it won't be anywhere near as beneficial as this conversation (on a body building/fitness forum):

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/diet-nutrition/3676-protein-shake-before-after-work-out.html

I just clicked the link and stopped reading when the first piece of advice given was to split your meals into 6 even meals.

The "anabolic" post workout window that you have to ingest protein within is not based on science and is completely not needed.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I've got to hit the sack...I'm sure I'll awake to no less than 30 articles on why post workout protein shakes are beneficial with none of them mentioning actual scientific studies.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options

As a follow-up to this (what I said earlier), I'm under the impression that the original poster is partaking in weight training.

If not the case, and just for overall upping your protein intake then I will agree with some of the other posters in saying that you can take it whenever you would like to throughout the day. (I'm assuming this isn't the case.. obviously.)
  • bacarlino
    bacarlino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had bad luck drinking protein shakes immediately before a workout, but I would definitely recommend one (or any form of protein source - i.e. chicken) within an hour after your workout. Really though - you need to calculate your daily requirement, and then consume that amount of protein throughout the day, starting with first thing in the morning all the way to just before bed.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

As a follow-up to this (what I said earlier), I'm under the impression that the original poster is partaking in weight training.

If not the case, and just for overall upping your protein intake then I will agree with some of the other posters in saying that you can take it whenever you would like to throughout the day. (I'm assuming this isn't the case.. obviously.)

I engage in high intensity weight training no less than three times per week. Still no benefits to a post workout protein shake other than the fact that it would in turn help you hit your daily protein goals, but drinking one right before bed that night would yield the same results.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options

I just clicked the link and stopped reading when the first piece of advice given was to split your meals into 6 even meals.

The "anabolic" post workout window that you have to ingest protein within is not based on science and is completely not needed.

You really are blunt and unappealingly straight forward. The person who offered up the advice is a professional body builder and has been labeled as highly reputable by many fitness professionals. I stand by what he has to say through his experiences as a body builder and personal trainer.
    From what I've seen in your posts so far, half of everything you say is redundant in an offensive manner. I think you should take a more friendly approach, especially when trying to help and aid in meeting their personal goals.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options

You really are blunt and unappealingly straight forward. The person who offered up the advice is a professional body builder and has been labeled as highly reputable by many fitness professionals. I stand by what he has to say through his experiences as a body builder and personal trainer.
    From what I've seen in your posts so far, half of everything you say is redundant in an offensive manner. I think you should take a more friendly approach, especially when trying to help and aid in meeting their personal goals.

I'm not trying to flame, I just feel like you could've taken a different approach to telling everybody that the things they read are not correct (even if the sources are reputable).
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I've got to hit the sack...I'm sure I'll awake to no less than 30 articles on why post workout protein shakes are beneficial with none of them mentioning actual scientific studies.

You say none of them have scientific studies to back them up - but I don't see you offering up anything either. Sorry, but I'm not going to trust ONE person's word (or what they think is right) when I've found sooo much out there that completely and totally disagrees with you.
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I am not trying to buff up, just lose weight and tone up. :flowerforyou:
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

You say none of them have scientific studies to back them up - but I don't see you offering up anything either. Sorry, but I'm not going to trust ONE person's word (or what they think is right) when I've found sooo much out there that completely and totally disagrees with you.

Since you claim that they do, I believe the burden of proof would be on you?

Either way, on my phone. I'll post studies when I get to work.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I'm not trying to flame, I just feel like you could've taken a different approach to telling everybody that the things they read are not correct (even if the sources are reputable).

I apologize. Again, I'll post studies when I get to my computer at work.

Most bodybuilders still follow dietary myths. Eating chicken and broccoli every three hours because they thing it will keep them "anabolic" and prevent muscle catabolism. Same thing goes for the magic post workout window that you need to drink a protein shake.