The "other" truth about artificial sweeteners.

Options
13»

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    LIKE!
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Yep!

Until someone shows me a study (not on rodents) that shows artificial sweeteners and diet soda to be harmful to me, I will continue to enjoy them.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Amen. We are each individuals on our own journey to a similar destination. We can get there any way we want and take as long as we want to get there. Some may not get there and some may get there and have to get there again. The bottom line is do what works for you.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Yep!

Until someone shows me a study (not on rodents) that shows artificial sweeteners and diet soda to be harmful to me, I will continue to enjoy them.

Or until it affects you personally.

I lived on diet soda. mmmmm....until it affected me personally. Now, it's not worth the pain to drink it. But I gave up most soda anyway, although I do love a good cream soda :smile:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Resuscitated out of internet abyss.
  • Kristibelle73
    Options
    That's awesome. I love it! Keep up the good work!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Everything is going to kill us. Doesn't matter what we eat. Everyday you watch the news there are 12 more "what you didn't know (enter food/beverage here)" and they end up telling a story about how you thought all those apples you were eating for 50 years were healthy, when indeed they were toxic to your system, and you will end up with cancer. It seems to be the tail end to every health report.

We aren't in a primal society anymore, we don't hang out in caves and kill large birds for dinner (unless you do those kinds of things in your spare time). We're surrounded by dangerous, unhealthy, unkind environmental conditions. We're glued to cell phones, to the internet, to everything but what we were designed to do. It's really quite an epidemic, but it's not just the food we eat, it's the way we interact with the entire world.

Basically, you want a freaking piece of cake, go eat it!
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cross posted by me in a post about "definition of a chemical"......tired of people thinking that just because something comes from a plant originally it is *also hate these following terms* "natural" and "organic".. which are *marketing* terms designed to sell products....

Not sure why people think that Stevia is called "natural". It is an extract of a plant. Does that make it "natural"?
    It is a highly processed material.

This is stevia.....
    The diterpene known as Steviol is the aglycone of stevia's sweet glycosides, which are constructed by replacing steviol's carboxyl hydrogen atom (at the bottom of the figure) with glucose to form an ester, and replacing the hydroxyl hydrogen (at the top of the figure in the infobox) with combinations of glucose and rhamnose. The two primary compounds, stevioside and rebaudioside A, use only glucose: Stevioside has two linked glucose molecules at the hydroxyl site, whereas rebaudioside A has three, with the middle glucose of the triplet connected to the central steviol structure.

In terms of weight fraction, the four major steviol glycosides found in the stevia plant tissue are:

5–10% stevioside (250–300X of sugar)
    2–4% rebaudioside A — most sweet (350–450X of sugar) and least bitter
    1–2% rebaudioside C
    ½–1% dulcoside A.

Rebaudioside B, D, and E may also be present in minute quantities; however, it is suspected that rebaudioside B is a byproduct of the isolation technique.[2] The two majority compounds stevioside and rebaudioside, primarily responsible for the sweet taste of stevia leaves, were first isolated by two French chemists in 1931.[3]

Me? I am a chlorinated sucrose person!
  • corinaspaiuc
    Options
    :)) this is a very good way to look at things, especially when i hear stuff like "oooh they put stuff into tomatoes that can produce cancer" from people that just finished a whole bag of chips. anyways, the main idea isn't that aspartam can kill you but the fact that is not healthy for you. You should try and make the smart choices, like try some agave syrup or honey instead. yes they have more calories and yes,i am drinking right now a cup of tea with artificial sweeteners but i try to keep away from them as much as i can. They ARE bad for you,and they are,trust me, worst than an apple. know your body,make the smart choices,you are human but don't fool yourself:)