What to do with 6 personal trainer sessions?

ChloMonster
ChloMonster Posts: 19 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I got 6 sessions with a personal trainer for my birthday! Do I schedule them close together or spread them out? They don't expire. I have lots of stamina from doing cardio, but I am pretty weak with a lot of belly fat. I have roughly 30 pounds left til I am at my goal. I work 12 hour shifts from 11am to 11pm, 3 to 5 days per week. I am definitely not a morning person and usually work out after work. Thank goodness for 24 hour gyms! I think the most I could do is 2 sessions per week on my days off, but not sure if I would benefit the most from using the sessions like that. The trainer recommends using them as quickly as possible. Any advice?

Replies

• dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Just show up. Most personal trainers use the first session to evaluate your fitness level in relationship to your goals. From there you both can determine what you need and how often. Personal trainers really teach you the proper way to get to your fitness goals in regard technique, form etc.
  • DarthBubbles
    DarthBubbles Posts: 138
    Well the trainer is going to tell you to use them as quickly as possible, so you have to buy training sessions sooner...like you said they don't expire. I'd say use two a month or maybe one a week, whatever you're comfortable with :happy:
  • ohfong77
    ohfong77 Posts: 30 Member
    I'd ask them to give you a strength training routine that you can do on your own. Meet them twice in one week - one day for upper body and one day for lower. (although a lot of trainers mix it up between both and so it's harder to remember the routine - I think they are hoping you'll continue to need them).

A trainer I worked with 10 years ago helped me go from a 12 to a size 8 and I only lost about 10 pounds. She toned me like I had never been before. I had incredible definition. She just taught me 2 different upper body routines and 2 lower as well as an abdominal routine I did daily. I could change them out, increase or decrease the weight, etc. This for me was simple and I only met with her every 2 weeks.

I'm not a personal trainer so I can't say what is best, but ultimately if they have you doing really funky stuff - it's going to be hard for you to do it on your own - so emphasize a simple routine that works - and take notes, have it written down so you can continue to use it.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    If you're going to a certified personal trainer they'll know whats best.
  • I can only afford two with my trainer at the moment and we had our first session last Wednesday. He really kicked my *kitten*. I thought we were going to sit and talk about my goals and past exercise experience, etc., but he had me get on the elliptical for five minutes to warm up right away, then we did strength training. It was my first day -- so hard! I just asked him questions, he told me what to do till we met again on Monday.

Monday we did a half session instead of a full hour and he showed me one strength routine. I asked more questions, too. Next Monday we're finishing the second part of my second session and he's showing me the second strength routine. I'm supposed to exercise at least five days/week, strength training three times/week. I've been making sure I go to the gym each day on my own so I get used to it and I'm not hating it. I'm establishing my own routines and know I can do this on my own. I might want one more session with my trainer later but after Monday, I should be all set.

Six sessions sounds pretty sweet. I'd spread them out like everybody else said. Maybe have the first two close together b/c at least for me I knew I was seeing him in less than a week and he'd know whether I did what he told me to do (by my fitness level and also if he wanted he could check the computer to see if I'd checked in).

Just be up front with them. Mike (my trainer) knows I can't afford more than what we're doing and he knows I hadn't exercised for over two years and he knows I want to lose weight... etc. I'm really glad I spent the extra money on the training sessions b/c I know the routines are good and well balanced and I like them (surprise!). And I'm less afraid to go to the gym!

Good luck :)
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    excellent tool for your goals, lucky you!
  • ChloMonster
    ChloMonster Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I'd space them out.. I've been seeing my personal trainer twice a month since January, and I've lost just over 20 pounds.

I go do a warm up on my own for about 5-10 min and then its just all weights from there.. we do a whole body routine, and by the end I'm dying and def. ready to not see him again for a few weeks.

Most important thing is to make sure that you and your trainer "click" and that he understands who you are and what your goals are.
This discussion has been closed.