Any good Kangaroo recipes?

Options
dan76n
dan76n Posts: 23
Iv'e decided to start eating Kangaroo as I don't seem to be getting enough Iron and I want to increase my protein intake to try add a little muscle.
Any good suggestions on how to serve it without ruining its great nutritional values?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dont even know if this is a joke or not... I'm from Canada so we dont have them over here.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Like the meat of an actual Kangaroo? I didn't even know people ate that (:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i agree is this serious. i dont eat any living creature, im vegan, but people eat them?
  • Dnl2509
    Dnl2509 Posts: 3
    Options
    i agree is this serious. i dont eat any living creature, im vegan, but people eat them?

Yes people eat them. There was a show (one of those weird food shows). They say the tail is the best. But I think a lot of them are farm raised. (not 100% sure on that though)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, people eat them, just like they eat cows, sheep, camels, bison (who knew?), pigs, chickens, duck, goose, deer etc.

Actually, mostly you see kangaroo meat in the pet meat section of the supermarket but you can find kangaroo meat for humans too if you look for it.

It is wild caught meat (ie. not domesticated) very lean and very good for you. Personally I don't like it because it has quite a strong flavour, but if you don't mind that it's pretty good. I think the trick is not to overcook it.

My friend panfries it on a gentle heat until it is cooked medium, than serves it with an elderflower glaze.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I just Googled Kangaroo Recipes and found several recipes and a reference to "Australian Foods". I guess you can cook ANYTHING:laugh:
  • clairemacd
    Options
    G'day there

Yep people really do eat kangaroo meat, its pretty common in Australian supermarkets etc. Its really just like a gamey dark red meat, like venison. I suppose it does sound a bit strange when you come from a country with no Kanagroos but its not that odd in Australia.

There are a couple of recipes on taste.com.au for kangaroo maybe check that out and see how you go. Its not a meat i cook myself so i dont have any recipes of my own...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Yes people eat them. There was a show (one of those weird food shows). They say the tail is the best. But I think a lot of them are farm raised. (not 100% sure on that though)

Nope, not farm raised, at least I've never heard of that. I can't imagine farming kangaroos, it would be pretty challenging!

You can also eat emu and crocodile in Australia too, but it's not very usual. I'm sure one restaurant served up a dish called "coat of arms" which contained kangaroo and emu (the creatures on the Australian coat of arms!)
  • Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    From a simple Google search:

http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/recipes/recipe_frame.htm

Each comes with a prep video.
  • Cornock
    Cornock Posts: 254
    Options
    You just have to be careful when you cook it because it's so lean it cooks very quickly and dries out.

Treat it like you would steak, and service it medium to rare, it should be pink.

Most Kangaroo meat is farmed now and should not have the strong gamey taste. I've served it to friends who could not tell the difference..until I told them after they'd finished. :laugh:

You can use it with stir fry and marinate the same with soy sauce etc. Or just with salt on a grill or the BBQ.
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Options
    Sorry but yes this is a serious post. Kangaroo is becoming quite popular for a lot of reasons.

Its very low in fat (2%)
    its high in protein.
    Its the highest natural source of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which has been shown to possess potential anti-carcinogenic and anti-diabetes properties, in addition to reducing obesity and atherosclerosis (high blood pressure). I cut and pasted that line ;-)

It is hard to cook because its so lean it is easy to over cook.

Its also better for the environment than Cows and Sheep due to the amount of methane cattle release from belching and farting (25 times more than Kangaroos)

Im pretty sure Kangaroos are not farmed especially in the same way cattle is so your guaranteed to get 100% organic meat.

I have eaten it a few times and it is a strong tasting meat but If cooked properly and given the right seasoning most people probably wouldn't notice.
    I have had a look for a few recipes on google but thought I would try here thinking I might get some different and maybe healthier options.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This is all very interesting to me
  • jnthwaite
    jnthwaite Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi there,
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    Hi there,
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    Hi there,
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    Hi there,
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    Hi there,
  • jnthwaite
    Options
    Hi there,

I found this link of recipes by the kangaroo farmers council or something. They have tonnes of recipes. Knowing kangaroo meat is quite lean, and high in protein, all these recipes should be pretty good for you. Just watch out for smelly farts though. :)

http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/recipes/recipe_frame.htm

Sorry about the previous posts. The tab button did something unexpected and posted my hi there like six times. :(
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Iv'e decided to start eating Kangaroo as I don't seem to be getting enough Iron and I want to increase my protein intake to try add a little muscle.
    Any good suggestions on how to serve it without ruining its great nutritional values?

1. If this is a joke, you are hilarious.
    2. If this is serious, you are awesome.

And I have an intranet crush on you.
  • Kezz249
    Kezz249 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, it is very serious :-) It's a lean high protein source. I have recently started my addiction to the meat. I purchase it from the supermarket. The way I look at it, is that it is meat (obviously different tastes/textures), so I use the mince as mince, sausages as sausages etc. I cooked stuffed peppers with roo mince last week, Cooking Spag bol with it tomorrow, and I tend to have Kanga Bangas (sausages) and the hamburger patties when my family opt for the standard ones, or just because they are yummy :-)