Vegetarian Baby - protein sources?

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    i'll try to be gentle...
    "it's not my choice to make for her"

She's 1 ... you're her mom. If it's not your choice to make... who's is it? It for sure isn't your daughter's right now. You have made the decision to not feed her meat protein. At 1 year old... I'm not sure she can eat any meat unless it's been blenderized or in baby food format. You said maybe she will when she can decide for herself. Why not let her decide NOT to eat meat when she can decide for herself instead of removing it from her diet now. You have a ..presumably...completely healthy baby and you're depriving her of natural protein. Beans, legumes, soy protein is NOT the same. Whey protein is NOT the same. Yes they are good alternatives, but more as supplemental than your primary source. Your baby girl NEEDS a balanced diet and needs protein to grow properly ..and I'm not just saying lengthwise...but brain, organs, everything. Talk to your pediatrician regarding this diet that you've imposed on your daughter. If he/she says it's TOTALLY fine..then who am I to say otherwise.

Food and kids are very sensitive topics for me. My youngest was born with a heart defect and then developed oral aversion and couldn't eat through his mouth till he was over 2 years old. Everything was pumped into his stomach through a tube. Let your daughter CHOOSE to be vegetarian or vegan when she's older. Feed her properly now so she grows up properly and then she can decide for herself. Pleaaaaaseeee..

Um...this is a bit much. I believe that a vegetarian lifestyle may be a bit better at this point than full blown vegan. When I was a baby/child....never once did I eat cow or pig products. That's not to say that my mother didn't try. I just spit them back out. I ate chicken and seafood until the age of 12. After that I cut it out and even went vegan for 4 years. I currently am a vegetarian that occasionally eats seafood or chicken (I'm talking 2-3 times a year). My daughter had the choice when she was able to choose for herself...until then...I raised her vegetarian. She loves steak and bacon...and that's her choice. Maybe when she is older she will fully come to realize what it's all about. She knows where the meat comes from...but what I buy her is the most organic and humane meat that I can. I do try to stick to my values while respecting hers. This mom has every right to raise her child the way she sees fit...she just may need some help. The people on MFP are here mainly because we're out of shape and need to eat healthy. We obviously messed up along the way to be on this site. She needs to speak to several nutritionists...especially ones that deal with being vegan. Many will say that it's not appropriate for anyone. If she does this the proper way...in no way will her child be harmed or hindered.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Aside from protein issues please think about iron deficiency. I was veg for 10 years and started eating meat out of necessity during pregnancy and continued bc I am breastfeeding. Also you may want to do some research on the latest info on soy. It's pretty scary. Go to www.mercola.com amd type in soy. It is pretty much general consensus that soy in not good for us and especially young children. Before I got pregnant I wanted to raise my kids veg but when I became sickly anemic during pregnancy and my midwife basically told me I couldn't home birth until I got my iron up I had no choice but to eat meat. Now I see the importance. At 1 years old your child's brain is developing
    rapidly and needs nutrients ONLY animal source provide. Also, if your going vegan which is even scarier- think about vitamin B12 which ONLY is found in animal sources (dairy and meat) .
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey, look on the bright side, not all of the parents who have killed their children by malnourishing them went to prison. A few got away with it.

These sorts of stories that I've heard about over the years have caused me to be a little concerned when I hear about someone attempting to raise a baby as a vegan. It's one thing for a grown adult to make this decision, but very different for a baby. And the fact that the OP is reaching out for help FOR HER BABY, on this website where even full grown adults can hardly figure out how to feed themselves has me just terrified for that poor baby.

I suspect it can be done in a healthy manner, but it would require some really expert knowledge and guidance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/vegan-couple-sentenced-life-over-babys-death/
    http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet-veganbaby.html
    http://www.hunter-gatherer.com/blog/vegan-baby-dies-because-mothers-milk-was-vitamin-deficient
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html

You took the exact thoughts I had. Thank goodness someone is rational. Being vegetarian or vegan is a change someone should decide on as an adult. No sooner. There are a plethora of studies that show how important animal products are to things like brain development and muscle function. Please, GOD, see a doctor or a nutritionist! If you need to ask people on a fitness website about how to feed your kid, you should stick to the way mother nature intended.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am a true meat eater. Couldn't live without my chicken and the odd steak. My fella is a vegetarian. We have a 3 1/2 year old daughter together and as much as i have tried to tempt her into eating meat from an early age, she wont touch it. Nor will she touch the artificial meat (i.e. meat free replicas) that her daddy eats sometimes. She is a very healthy little girl with a great balanced diet. She drinks milk before bed, eats yoghurts when she fancies it, eats a cheese sandwich every day for lunch and LOVES her fruit. She even likes a few peanuts now and then and has recently been eating my seeds too. She also loves cereal bars, flapjacks and of course, some sweets occassionally. At no point in her life have i ever thought that she wouldn't get enough protein in her diet, despite her lack of meat and nor did i even contemplate giving her protein supplements!!

I'm sorry if i sound harsh, but I think even the idea of giving a baby food supplements is just plain crazy. I dont even like the idea of adults taking food supplements (protein powders etc), let alone a child!

It is recommended that up until 2 years old, babies who are onto cows milk drink the full fat variety. At 2 years old they can move on to semi-skimmed and from 5 years old they can have skimmed milk (although why anyone would want that is beyond me.... ;) ). Does she like scrambled eggs? It seems to be a favourite in toddlers and babies.

She needs protein and healthy fats to grow properly. Just feed her a healthy BALANCED diet - with no supplements!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned QUINOA!!! It is an excellent source of protein that you can prepare any way from a sweet to savory. Vegetables and seasonings can also be added to make a wide range of dishes. Chicken or vegetable stock can be substituted for water during cooking, adding flavor. It is also suited to vegetable pilafs, complementing bitter greens like kale. You can also cool it and add it to salads.

Quinoa can serve as a high-protein breakfast food mixed with honey, almonds, or berries; it is also sold as a dry product, much like corn flakes. Quinoa flour can be used in wheat-based and gluten-free baking.

"In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source among plant foods. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest."

QUINOA ALL THE WAY!!!
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options
    oops double.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'd not heard of Quinoa until recently. Is it a new thing?? :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey, look on the bright side, not all of the parents who have killed their children by malnourishing them went to prison. A few got away with it.

These sorts of stories that I've heard about over the years have caused me to be a little concerned when I hear about someone attempting to raise a baby as a vegan. It's one thing for a grown adult to make this decision, but very different for a baby. And the fact that the OP is reaching out for help FOR HER BABY, on this website where even full grown adults can hardly figure out how to feed themselves has me just terrified for that poor baby.

I suspect it can be done in a healthy manner, but it would require some really expert knowledge and guidance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/vegan-couple-sentenced-life-over-babys-death/
    http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet-veganbaby.html
    http://www.hunter-gatherer.com/blog/vegan-baby-dies-because-mothers-milk-was-vitamin-deficient
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html

I see you're in the USA, but as an English person I can assure you that using the Daily Mail as your evidence really hasn't done you any favours.

I am a researcher and yesterday at work, I got a little distracted and started doing a little research on vegan children (coincidentally) and they evidence (in peer reviewed journals) seems to suggest they do perfectly well.

I do take your point on asking MFP members for dietary advice though. It's all very random here.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

I see you're in the USA, but as an English person I can assure you that using the Daily Mail as your evidence really hasn't done you any favours.

hehe
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options
    I'd not heard of Quinoa until recently. Is it a new thing?? :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

It's been around since the dawn of time, but I think it's becoming more well known in recent times. I love it! So much better than rice or any other similar grain. I recently made it stir fried with veggies and some eggs. So awesome with homemade Chinese food.
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options
    I'm not so sure babies are vegetarian friendly foods...

But they are protein rich.

But if you eat a vegetarian baby, does that still make you a vegetarian?
  • inafit16177
    Options
    I think you under estimate grains and amino acid combinations (like beans and grains), which are great finger foods. I have a little boy who is 1 year old in a couple of days. We are vegetarian and he is unable to have soy or dairy (for the time being). He is also happy, healthy and growing like a weed (out pacing his peers - though that has more to do with genetics). He does have eggs, though only the yokes until after his birthday. He also enjoys Quorn products, which is a meat sub without soy or gluten (that I know of). The texture is very easy for him to eat with his 4 little teeth.

I could go on forever, however, I am pooped and ready for bed. I recommend the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. It is my baby feeding "bible" and the author is a veggie. Great book. http://www.amazon.com/Super-Baby-Food-2nd-Second/dp/B003YE20X4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307686012&sr=8-2

I mentioned my little one, but I also have 3 others ages 4 - 16. They are all vegetarians and have been since conception. I have zero regrets. It's been great! It is very possible to raise your children this way and it doesn't need to be hard. You've taken the first step in asking for advice. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Hi seventies lord, ignore all the naysayers. Your babe can be happy and healthy as a vegetarian/vegan.

My boys love honey baked lentils and rice, guacamole (or avocado slices), red pepper hummus, plain hummus (with veggies to dip, sometimes chips), babaganoush, falafel, baked sweet potato fries, etc.

Our favorite proteins from whole foods would be:
    Quinoa - I love making casseroles with this
    Lentils, legumes - my boys love chickpeas, hummus form or not
    Brown rice instead of white
    They love tofu, but I am soy-free, so they don't get it super often.
    Steamed edamame
    Oatmeal - I add flax and nuts to this.
    Things like broccoli and peas are also great to add in for veg and a bit of protein.

If you are looking for a good protein powder for smoothies, I use Peaceful Planet Supreme Meal. It's dairy-free, soy-free, and gluten free.

My boys drink almond milk, now. However, I breastfed them both for as long as mutually desirable for the nutritional and immunity benefits.

We also do plenty of nut butters. A fav here is cashew or almond butter with sliced apples or pears for dipping.

I hope that helps. I'll send you a friend request.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly urge you to consider, if at a minimum, some pescetarian protein sources for your child. They are rich in the following vital nutrients:

1. Vitamin D
    2. Calcium
    3. Omega 3 fatty acids

Eggs and dairy (esp. goat's milk) are also highly beneficial sources of protein, dietary fat, and B vitamins.

I'm not trying to throw flames here, but these nutrients are crucial to a child's development.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    RDAs were developed after World War II to provide dietary standards to address common nutrition related diseases such as rickets, pellagra, scurvy, beriberi, xerophthalmia, and goiter (caused by lack of adequate dietary vitamin D, niacin, vitamin C, thiamin, vitamin A, and iodine, respectively) were prevalent. Nutritional deficiencies may not manifest themselves for years, or be notable by the absence of development of one or more areas such as muscle, immune or brain growth. IMO it's unconscionable to impose a restrictive diet on a dependent infant or child at a formative time of their life.

Another poster who took exception to the validity of sources as the British Daily Mail may be more comfortable with these:

Long-term neurologic consequences of nutritional vitamin B12 deficiency in infants
    http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(05)81897-9/abstract

Kwashiorkor in Chicago
    http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/129/10/1240-a?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=vegetarian&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=10&resourcetype=HWCIT

Risk of Nutritional Rickets Among Vegetarian Children
    http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/133/2/134?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=vegetarian&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

Feeding the vegan infant and child.
    Truesdell DD, Acosta PB.
    Abstract
    Nutrients that may be deficient in diets of vegetarian infants and preschoolers and that affect growth and development are energy, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, riboflavin, and vitamins B-12 and D. Reasons for these nutrient deficiencies include: limited volumetric capacity of the stomach of infants, toddlers, and preschoolers; low-caloric-density foods eaten by vegans; limited food choices; and restriction of number of meals and snacks eaten by vegan children. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3891829

Multiple Nutritional Deficiencies in Infants From a Strict Vegetarian Community
    http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/133/2/141?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=vegetarian&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So, in summary, babies fed by careless parents can get nutritional deficiencies? Shocker!

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/realveganchildren
  • mamafrost84
    Options
    Interesting that people are talking about vegan diets being low calorie by definition - I am vegan approximatley 80% of the time and struggling to meet my MFP calorie limit without flying way over!

As much evidence as there may be about (poorly planned) vegan diets having potential health risks, there is also much evidence that says excessive consumption of red meat and dairy is harmful to health. As a breastfeeding mother, the number of other mums I have met who have had to eliminate dairy from their diet due to CMP intolerance in their babies is phenomenal. Increasingly I'm beginning to think we just aren't 'meant' to consume as much dairy as we do.

We are soon to start weaning our daughter and so have been researching her nutritional needs carefully. We already plan our own meals each week, so will adapt these to ensure she is receving a balanced diet. But as the majority of her calories and nutrition will come from milk until she's one, food is just for fun.

Also, to whoever said infants can only eat meat in blended form, have a look at Baby Led Weaning/Baby Led Solids. No need to blend a thing!