Greek Yogurt

Options
Teeladog
Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
I asked last week for some ideas of how to increase my protein...specifically at breakfast. Because I usually eat yogurt, a lot of people recommended I try Greek Yogurt. I tried it today and have to say that I am not a huge fan. Probably because I am used to eating Vanilla yogurt which I know has a lot more sugar in it than the 0% Greek yogurt. I put strawberries in it and vanilla almond granola and that didn't really help a lot (in all fairness, the strawberries aren't particularly great this week...not super sweet). I finally resorted to a teaspoon of brown sugar and that helped some.

Do I just need to keep trying it and let my palate adjust...sort of ween myself off the sugar stuff? Or are there other ways people incorporate greek yogurt into their breakfast (smoothies?).

Any ideas would be helpful...I do like the larger amount of protein...

Replies

• VanishersCoach
    Options
    I have tried the Voskos but didn't like it. A friend of mine recommended Chobani and that tastes a lot better. Some brands are better than others. Just keep trying.

Hope this helps.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Chobani is the brand to go i get the cherry fruit on the bottom
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Weaning yourself off sugar wouldn't be a bad thing regardless of whatever else you do :-) Incorporating it into smoothies would be a great idea too. Maybe another brand of greek yogurt? Another thread talking about it suggested there's a difference between different makes. I've seen vanilla greek yogurt, but may not be available where you are.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Chobani with fruit - tastes great and they are about 140-150 calories.
  • kitchenfairy
    Options
    I don't know how it is in the lower fat versions as I only use the whole, but try stirring in a bit of maple syrup (grade b if you can get it). It makes mine taste like it should be a sinful dessert but without a ton of sugar. (I use Fage brand by the way)
    And if it doesn't have to be breakfast, use it in place of sour cream in your other recipes. :)
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the flavored Greek yogurts/fruit on the bottom because of the added sugar. I prefer to control the sugar that I eat as much as I can. You can try adding a little honey to it, or agave nectar is good too. I've also stirred in a scoop of my favorite chocolate protein powder and basically had chocolate pudding for breakfast, that's delicious. Keep playing with it and I bet you'll end up loving it.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use chobani as well.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add a little natural peanut butter to greek yogurt. But I would rather have cottage cheese in general.x
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do 1tbs slivered almonds and .5tbs agave nectar. Or, .5c of raspberries with .75c yogurt, with half a pack of truvia and a smidgen of raspberry extract. I add sweetener when I add granola too. No harm.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the flavored Greek yogurts/fruit on the bottom because of the added sugar. I prefer to control the sugar that I eat as much as I can. You can try adding a little honey to it, or agave nectar is good too. I've also stirred in a scoop of my favorite chocolate protein powder and basically had chocolate pudding for breakfast, that's delicious. Keep playing with it and I bet you'll end up loving it.

I added banana! Yummy!

Almond extract with hersheys coco powder is good too :)
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've tried several brands and Chobani is my favorite as well.
  • kwstas01
    kwstas01 Posts: 8
    Options
    The best additions is honey or some corn flakes :)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    A 7 ounce cup of 2% plain Fage with one packet of stevia is just the right sweetness for me. I sometimes add fruit, but I don't really need it. I also put it in the freezer for a little bit and let it get partially frozen....if I close my eyes I can
    pretend like it is soft serve.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I mix equal parts plain Greek yogurt and Kashi Go Lean Crunch. The Kashi sweetens it up while adding lots of fiber and more protein.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Fage greek yogurt, just the plain 0% one and then add fruit or granola and a little bit of agave nectar if it is still too tart.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    Fage and Cascade Fresh were the 2 brands of yogurt recommended to me. I like the Cascade Fresh Fat Free varieties.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I to had the same reaction when I first tried Fage nonfat greek yougurt, I was like OH NO, then I bought it again and put some organic granol cereal in there that I got from Walmart and it tasted great, I love the fact that one cup has 23 grams of protein. I just finished eating some right now.