How to calculate burn rate in interval training?

Options
After modest success with walking, I'm feeling good and ready to do something more strenuous.

I want to calculate the burn from interval training. For example:

1. Vigorous walking up stairs for 30 seconds, rest by walking down for 30 seconds (say, 10 minutes)

2. Stationery bike - 30 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy (say, 10 minutes)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Terence

Replies

• doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The only accurate way to measure your calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor - preferably one with a chest strap. Using anything other than that is just a guess. IMO.
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options
    The only accurate way to measure your calorie burn is to use a heart rate monitor - preferably one with a chest strap. Using anything other than that is just a guess. IMO.

Yes, I agree. However, interval training is the gift that keeps giving throughout the day. At least, that's what I've read. If I burned 300 calories in a morning 20-minute interval session, the overall benefit would continue to add up during the day. A heart-rate monitor would only provide an estimate of the immediate burn.

Is this right .... or just wishful thinking?
  • terence
    Options

Yes, I agree. However, interval training is the gift that keeps giving throughout the day. At least, that's what I've read. If I burned 300 calories in a morning 20-minute interval session, the overall benefit would continue to add up during the day. A heart-rate monitor would only provide an estimate of the immediate burn.

• doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I think this is true with every form of exercise (especially weight training). If you are trying measure your total daily calorie burn then I would think that you need to wear the HRM all day and then compare that burn to the burn your body achieves through normal activity. Not quite sure why you would need this precise of a calorie burn.
  • terence
    Options
    Not quite sure why you would need this precise of a calorie burn.

Specifically, I'm trying to get an idea of how much more beneficial (and time-saving) interval training might be than ordinary training. For example, if I do 10 minutes of interval training (where alternate minutes are high-intensity) will this provide an equivalent burn rate as 30 minutes of 'average intensity' exercise of the same type?

Terence
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I have the same curiosity factor as you. I'm always wondering about those things. In the end, I don't have a lot of extra time in my day, and I'd like to be as efficient as I can.

I've read several places that HIIT training for 15 minutes is equivalent to 60 minutes of jogging at conversational pace on the treadmill. Either those folks are guessing or someone has already done the HR studies.

I like doing HIIT workouts anyways. I always feel more wiped at the end (and the next day); that alone tells me I performed more work. I'll be buying me a good HRM today so I can start tracking those odd workouts (like tabata).
  • Onelongusername
    Options
    Terrance,

This is a generalization but you may want to keep your walking and HIT or interval training.

Typically longer steady workouts like walking or running burn fat stores. Interval training targets burning carbs. Again this is a very general statement.

I would probably incorporate both as I did 4 years ago and went from 26% body fat to 7.5%. I was on a lower fat and almost no carb diet as well. I didn't workout like a mad man but walked every morning without fail and threw in some weights and some interval training.

Everyone is different but it worked for me.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    EPOC is usually overestimated.

For 10 minutes I wouldn't count the calories.

Keep calories the same, do the increased activity ... give it 3 weeks or so. If the scale's moving how you want, cool, if not, then mod your cals.