Too much protein?

Options
Is it possible to eat to much protein? I thought it was a good thing but noticed on my food diary that it says a certain amount per day..and of course I went over. I would love to have more info about this.

Thanks

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have too much, but quite difficult. MFP only gives you 15% of total calories allotted to protein. A balanced diet can go up to 30% (double MFP's amount) and low carbers go even higher 40-60%.
  • PghGal2011
    PghGal2011 Posts: 21
    Options
    Any extra Protein you have spills out via your kidneys. Is this bad? Some say it works the kidneys too hard but my Dr said if i stay around 100 Grams that is not too excessive.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend going over 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day for my clients. That's all that is actually needed even by professional body builders or high activity athletes. If you aren't near that (which you can easily be way under that and still go over MFP's 15% recommendation) and you aren't having symptoms of kidney issues or smelling ammonia when you sweat or having yellow pit stains from sweating or having acetone breath, then I wouldn't worry about going over the MFP recommendation.
  • goingcrazy73
    goingcrazy73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am new to MFP so I wasnt sure. My protein yesterday was 70 but it only suggested 46 for me so I was curious. So I guess I am still okay then