new again to MFP and looking for friends to help STAY motiva

Options
Hey everyone! I love using MFP, but as everyone here knows it only works when you ACTUALLY use it! I took a two month hiatus (and gained back 4 lbs) But now I'm back and don't want to fall off anymore.

I started originally back in January and then by the end of March I was traveling and visiting family and all the excuses were there for me. My husband is in the military and we just moved to South Korea for the next year or so. Its a little bit tougher in a foreign country (In the states I'd look up the nutrition facts to a restaurant before id go for instance0 they dont have that for Korean BBQ haha) Anyone else have experience counting calories in a country where you can't read labels? We still have plenty of access to US products, but I want to try and discover new things too. The traditional Korean diet seems pretty healthy, of course everyone knows kimchi, but theres also lots of fish and other vegetables and some meat too.

Anyways, I love having friends on MFP because its a great way to get encouragement and new ideas. A lot of the people I was friends with from a few months ago it seems have also taken a break, hopefully they'll come back eventually. But in the meantime, feel free to friend me!

Replies

• MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    hello and welcome back. this is a great site with inspiration and motivation. Welcome
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hi Diana,

Welcome back and I hope you are enjoying your South Korea assignment, so far. I can't even imagine having to figure out labels when buying on the local economy! I was stationed in Portugal, while I was in the Air Force, and I shopped downtown ALL the time. I think on that and I can't even imagine what it was I was getting. Anyway, my huge suggestion to you is the commissary, or course. This may be a time when you really want to get into cooking on your own and knowing what it is you are eating. I do a daily food blog and about 97% of my groceries are bought at our local AF commissary so it isn't things I am getting at local grocery stores or Walmarts. If you want to check it out you can find my food blog at www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TracieJ65 and I am always here if you want me as a friend.
  • pdbrady79
    pdbrady79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome back Diana. I am new to MFP also. I joined back in November but never really got into it. However, I am feeling more motivated these days. My best friend is bi-racial (half Korean) and for the most part what she has seemed to indicate is that most of the food is pretty healthy but I would encourage you to stay away from the white rice which her mom cooks alot at their family restaurant. I will see if she has any idea as to where you could get some information from. Good luck.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    thanks so much, thats really sweet!