How do you avoid eating because of friends?

Options
2»

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I make alternate "treats" - fruit with light cream, homemade fruit sorbet, dark chocolate squares... etc.

Know what's funny?

My friends enjoy them even more than the store bought junk. :smile:
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I also vote for the smaller portion.

Such great advice from everyone!!!! This is an awesome thread for newbies to read!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Make a small one if you want. Eventually you won't want this stuff.
    I must beg to differ on this point, the part about not wanting good stuff. I've been on this ride for just over a year and I never began it with the expectation that I would cut the foods I love out of my life, but just to be more controlled about what I allow myself. I say allow yourself treats, but just keep them reasonable. Have a smaller portion size than you might normally and then go for a longer run, or whatever you do to be active, earlier during the day or the next. It's all about balance, not abstinence.

I know there are people out there who get to a place where junk food tastes gross to them. Everybody's different. I agree with you on balance. Every other time I've tried to get healthy I decided that I could never eat a tuna fish sandwich again because it has mayo in it. This time, I decided that I didn't want to deny myself anything because it sets me up for failure. I make healthier choices, use portion control, and allow myself a treat occasionally. That's what works for me.

Sometimes when I'm at an event and there's cake I don't have any because I don't feel like it. Sometimes I have the cake but skip the icing. Sometimes I have a big slice of cake, icing and all.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would totally have the oreo sundae 1 scoop of icecream and 2 oreos BUT i would probably eat grilled chicken and spinach salads for the day to keep my calories low
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I would say just dont do it altogether, but I know myself that I'd want to for my friend, and that I wouldnt want to make an excuse.

How about looking up low fat options of the same recipe online? May cut out SOME of the calories?
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Find a low fat/ low sugar ice cream or a fat free frozen yogurt and make sure to measure out a serving. Maybe get some different toppings to try out instead of the oreos (i love putting fresh strawberries or pineapple on my ice cream). If you want to be successful you need to learn how to budget your indulgences into your plan instead of trying to avoid them. If you try to completely avoid it you will get to a point that you say screw it and will over indulge. If food is a big part of what you do with your friends, find ways to enjoy it with healthier alternatives. Good luck!
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Edy's Slow Churn Light Cookies and Cream has oreo cookies in it and it's only 130 calories per 1/2 cup. Just have the ice cream with out all the other typical Sundae stuff. Just because she's wants to eat all other stuff doesn't mean you have to eat it.

I am trying to be super good for the next week. Next week we are heading to St. Louis for a Cardinals game and I will have some control over what choices I have to eat, but not a lot. I was able to go on line and find out what they will have in the buffet for the box we will be in, at least I am prepared and can kind of plan ahead of time.

Challenges are all around us everyday, but one wrong choice will not total destroy all the good you are doing now. Sometimes I think we need to give ourselves permission to be 'bad'...lol