Microwave Popcorn - I can't friggin' figure it out!

Options
Being a Chemical Engineer and a Math Tutor, you think that I would be able to figure out how many friggin' calories are in a bag of Orville Redenbacher's 94% Fat Free popcorn but I don't understand why they make these labels so confusing. Why can't they just tell you the facts in the whole damn bag once its popped because that is what I eat. Can anyone help?

P.S. Sometimes I do eat the portion of unpopped kernels at the bottom of the bag, I'm not gonna lie - you are probably thinking who the hell does that, and my dentist probably doesn't advise it (or does if he needs the cash that week) but to include this in the calculation would lead to some sort of multivariable calculus or differential equation. I'm just asking for someone's help in a complete bag of this stuff. Anyone? I'm sure this has come up before.

Replies

• joey16g
    Options
    Being a Chemical Engineer and a Math Tutor, you think that I would be able to figure out how many friggin' calories are in a bag of Orville Redenbacher's 94% Fat Free popcorn but I don't understand why they make these labels so confusing. Why can't they just tell you the facts in the whole damn bag once its popped because that is what I eat. Can anyone help?

P.S. Sometimes I do eat the portion of unpopped kernels at the bottom of the bag, I'm not gonna lie - you are probably thinking who the hell does that, and my dentist probably doesn't advise it (or does if he needs the cash that week) but to include this in the calculation would lead to some sort of multivariable calculus or differential equation. I'm just asking for someone's help in a complete bag of this stuff. Anyone? I'm sure this has come up before.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to add it to your foods eaten today and it's already put in there for you. I know because it's one of my treats :wink:
  • joey16g
    Options
    Thanks for the info, and yes, I do see it in the database but there are 10 entries for this item and all of them have different caloric amounts. I believe other people are having the same issue and I don't trust a majority of those entries.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    AH! I see your problem! Mine is actually one of those 100 calorie bags so I guess I really can't help you there!

Do you have the label for the bag? If there is more than one serving, like 2.5 in the bag just take the info they give you and times it by 2.5 (or however many servings) then you'll know the real numbers and can compare and find the one in the database that matches yours.

Otherwise I don't know how to help you :tongue:
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It is very frustrating. Oatmeal, rice, pasta and beans can be that way too. A 1/2 cup uncooked rice is a HUGE difference from a 1/2 cup rice cooked!
    Best of luck to you, Kelly :smile:
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I noticed this as well...why can't they just tell us what it is popped? That's what we eat....that's what matters!!! It's because of this issue I avoid those bags of popcorn :frown:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

This may or maynot help you...but I do the hot air popcorn, and just buy the regular yellow, or white. I read on my bag that 2 Tablespoons = 5 cups of popped corn.

I rarely buy microwave popcorn so without a bag in front of me, can't compare if that is what you're looking for...how much the kernels before popping equals... Is that what you were wondering about?

hth,
    :tongue: :drinker:
  • susan62
    Options
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 popped bag (81g)

Amount per Serving

Calories 195 Calories from Fat 15

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1.5g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 130mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
    Protein 3g 6%

Iron 6%
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Ok looked up the brand/type your trying to figure out....I'm such a Google Geak!:laugh: I love it so much...it knows way more than any of us...:noway:

http://tinyurl.com/3m3ezd

I even made it a 'tinyurl.com' link for you so it didn't take up half this box...that link will take you to many people asking the very same things....since I don't quite know your question I figure it'd be safer if you look up the link. I guess what I'm saying is...I don't know the size of bag you have...and so I couldn't really locate the calories without it on any of the links.

Best of luck to you and your most likely now empty bag of Popcorn! :tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 popped bag (81g)

Amount per Serving

Calories 195 Calories from Fat 15

% Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1.5g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 130mg 5%
    Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
    Protein 3g 6%

Iron 6%

Cheese Louise! If that's all that's in the contents of one bag...that doesn't seem like many calories...I might just have to try some one day. I much prefer the quiet microwave popping over the LOUD hot air popper during Heroes. :grumble:

Thanks for the info all :)
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You are thinking way too much-I understand since you are a math/science kinda guy (I live with a Math Phd) Make it easy and just calculate the total bag as if every single kernal popped.

Dont worry about the kernels that didn't pop and to eat them or not to eat them and how that affects the total caloric count. I mean you could worry that the liquid left coating the the bowl or blender or plate or whatever are calories not eaten and how does that affect the total calorie count. Calories listed on a box are average anyway, and calories your body is said to burn are average anyway...

If you look at a box (or bag) of popcorm-any kind- you will find 2 measurements: unpopped and popped. The package will list how many servings in the bag of microwave popcorn-or how many servings in a bag of kernals-and how many calories are per serving. (It will even say, usually, what the serving size is popped and unpopped.) Multiply the calories per serving times serving size and you have your total calorie count (same as any other food).

Microwave popcorns varies in calories depending on the brand and amount of butter and other flavorings added. A bag of microwave popcorn can have a whole lot more calories than you expect! I prefer air-popped popcorn, becasue it not only taste great but doesn't have any of the added fats and salt from microwave popcorn or oil-popped popcorn. (Plus I think it is fun)

Good Luck
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my box of Trails End popcorn and I noticed what you say now. 2 TBSP unpopped is 170 calories which is a serving (about 5 cups) and then it says 1 cup popped is 30 calories. Why cant they just say 1 serving popped 150 calories. I bought this box before my diet so it is the unbelieveable butter. So 1 bag would be about 375 calories. I dont pop popcorn to often.

Connie
  • joey16g
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. Next time I'll bring my scientific calculator to the grocery store with me...or better yet, if I can get wireless I'll just bring my laptop and while I'm at it I can logon to myfitnesspal. Actually, thats a good idea. The founder should pay someone to go through the grocery store and log as many items as possible into the database!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thought it was 15 calories a cup popped and there is 7.5 cups do it says so like 130 or so I believe. It should be in here the whole bag and how many calories it is.
    I know its not a lot and hey its fine to eat the kernals. How could those be more calories than the popped popcorn anyways

Alisha
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to the 100 calorie bags to make life less confusing!!