Let's talk pilates:

Options
I just realized I have a few older Gaiam Pilates DVDs on my shelf. I definitely want to mix in some yoga and pilates into my current fitness plan. Have you SEEN Jennifer Aniston?! HELLO. I want to look HALF as good as that and she's almost twice my age!

I need some facts/opinions please:

How difficult is it to pick up?
Have you seen results?
How long until you saw some results?
How often should I do it?

Any other beginner tips would be great!
Thanks!

Replies

• digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pilates person (tried it - didn't like it) but I am a HUGE yoga person. Yoga really tones you, reduces cellulite, makes you stronger and more flexible and most importantly teaches the importance of breathing properly. Admittedly it's tough to pick up at first, especially as a bigger girl I find I just can't get into some of the poses - but if you stick with it you will see amazing improvements. I've been practicing for 1 1/2 yrs and it's the only exercise I LOVE besides bicycling. :)

The only thing that I suggest is trying a few classes at a studio to really get the atmosphere and mood of yoga. I personally rather go to a studio than to practice at home, there's not wimping out. haha That being said there are different types of yoga so it can really vary.

If you want any tips - yell at me!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    To me, yoga and pilates are very similar.....i like both....but if you are looking for this rigorous exercise, then you might not like it.....its very relaxing. I haven't done it in a while and i can def tell with my flexibility. I have a bad back and the yoga would help stretch it out and make it stronger
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pilates person (tried it - didn't like it) but I am a HUGE yoga person. Yoga really tones you, reduces cellulite, makes you stronger and more flexible and most importantly teaches the importance of breathing properly. Admittedly it's tough to pick up at first, especially as a bigger girl I find I just can't get into some of the poses - but if you stick with it you will see amazing improvements. I've been practicing for 1 1/2 yrs and it's the only exercise I LOVE besides bicycling. :)

The only thing that I suggest is trying a few classes at a studio to really get the atmosphere and mood of yoga. I personally rather go to a studio than to practice at home, there's not wimping out. haha That being said there are different types of yoga so it can really vary.

If you want any tips - yell at me!

Thanks! I hate working out at home but I can't really afford a yoga studio right now. I'm totally open to it when I get some extra bucks...or a groupon!
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    And just to be clear. Yoga is not always relaxing, the type I do (Ashtanga) is very vigourous. Check it out, or look up a vid on you tube :)