random: any glee-haters out there?

Options

Replies

• juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Love musical theater - I was one of those kids in high school. So when the show first came on, I was stoked. Until I watched the first episode. BARF! It got so huge that I decided to try one more time. um....no. hate it. I cant get into it at all. Cheesy as all get out!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the show at all...
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I can't stand Glee. I try to stop it when ever I see it. Yesterday, I popped a kids balloon who was being too gleeful.

Oh wait do you mean the TV show ... I don't watch it.

Meanie!:tongue:
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love Glee, but I know what it's like when it seems like the whole world loves a show (or movies, or books, etc.) and you can't stand it. With me it's Twilight, anything with vampires/werewolves/zombies, and Lord of the Rings movies. Just lost on me.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Ha I love music even musical theatre but I hate Glee

I agree. When I first saw the previews for the show, I was SOOOO excited because I love musicals. Needless to say, I was incredibly disappointed =(
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Not a fan here...but also not a fan of musicals....movie musicals...
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    Haven't watched it....probably never will : )
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    I H-A-T-E that musical show bs, lol! Here, let me SING you a story...really? Thats a great way to get punched in the face. lol
  • 5weeks
    5weeks Posts: 38
    Options
    Just the name and previews piss me off!:grumble: :angry:
  • tropicalicyicy
    tropicalicyicy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think the shows alright. I have seen all the episodes, I am not obsessed or anything but I like hearing covers of songs by really good singers. Some of the songs i enjoy, like classic ones (Don't Stop Believin' by Journey, one of the best covers i've ever heard, Queen, The Doors, Madonna, Fleetwood Mac), and some pleasant surprises (Florence & the Machine, Beck, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole, Lily Allen), but others (like todays pop) not so much. Also they do have some original songs that aren't bad that they sang for their regionals. Jane Lynch is also a big plus to the show, she's evil and hilarious. Like I said, I'm not obsessed or think the show is amazing but I do download it to watch when I have nothing else to watch and it helps my boyfriend doesn't mind it either =)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I've seen three episodes. I agree that it's not in the same league as The Beatles and Elvis, and no, none of the songs are original. I've never been a fan of schmaltzed up cover versions of rock/pop tunes. Some of the story lines are good though, and I don't agree that there's NO talent. Some of the singers are very talented, whether you like that type of music they're singing or not. And the Rocky Horror Picture show episode rocked! It was like watching a good Broadway revival of the show.

I DO like the effect it's had on school music programs, as I've witnessed firsthand working at a K-8 school. All of a sudden it's now COOL to be in chorus and everyone wants to be in the spring musical. I hear 7th and 8th grade students singing songs by artists like Journey, Queen, Billy Joel, and songs from Wicked and Les Mis which is a good thing, IMO when you consider the dreck they are inundated with on the radio.

I'd probably watch another episode if I'm ever channel surfing while on the treadmill and there's nothing else better on, but I'll never be a fan. I wouldn't judge the whole series by one episode. From what I've seen and heard from others, some episodes are good, some suck, and everything in between.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    yeah not a fan of their bubble gum crap
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than sit through an episode of Glee.

The way it was advertised in the UK made it seem like it was a pisstake of all the musical garbage out there, and I was quite looking forward to watching it. Watched 10 mins of one episode and realised that no, it actually is JUST musical garbage.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I watched one episode on the net. I am heavily involved in local theatre, so I watched it the one time. To be truthful, I didn't expect much because I was so disappointed when High School Musical came out. I admit I liked Glee better than "High School Musical", but I didn't like it enough to ever watch it again.

I don't necessarily think the music is "bad". There's much worse out there. My daughter is a vocal performance major and is into opera, and she thinks the kids have good voices, but she doesn't like the show.

I just think the show is really stupid. But High School Musical was torture!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I DO like the effect it's had on school music programs, as I've witnessed firsthand working at a K-8 school. All of a sudden it's now COOL to be in chorus and everyone wants to be in the spring musical. I hear 7th and 8th grade students singing songs by artists like Journey, Queen, Billy Joel, and songs from Wicked and Les Mis which is a good thing, IMO when you consider the dreck they are inundated with on the radio.

nope. don't buy it. chorus programs already have a crapload of interested students - that's probably why they made the show in the first place. now if they had an orch-dork show, i would might feel differently.
    I wouldn't judge the whole series by one episode. From what I've seen and heard from others, some episodes are good, some suck, and everything in between.

no. it's total suckage. no in between. but i guess you already know my humble opinion on that one... :tongue:
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    Their music bugs!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    nope. don't buy it. chorus programs already have a crapload of interested students - that's probably why they made the show in the first place. now if they had an orch-dork show, i would might feel differently.

They didn't have plenty of interested students at Canterbury, especially among the boys but now they all want to be in chorus. The chorus teacher at my school also showed me an article where they cited the "Glee effect" and the sudden rise in chorus enrollment in many schools across the country, even among jocks and other kids that would have never considered enrolling in a music class before. While I'm no fan of the show, as a music teacher I like to see more kids getting involved in music for whatever the reason. BTW, they sorta had an "orch dork" show in the 80s, it was called "Fame" (based on the movie) and lots of people thought that show sucked too. :-)
    I wouldn't judge the whole series by one episode. From what I've seen and heard from others, some episodes are good, some suck, and everything in between.

no. it's total suckage. no in between. but i guess you already know my humble opinion on that one... :tongue:
    [/quote]

Maybe the one episode you saw sucked, but that doesn't mean they all do. I don't blame you though for not wanting to watch another to see if that's true or not. If a TV series doesn't draw me in right away, I pretty much write it off too. I just happened to catch a good episode the first time I watched (more for the storyline really than the music).
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    hate it...

i watched when they done a rocky horror episode because i LOVE ROCKY HORROR, but hate glee, what a bunch of idiots!!! seriously...

and was pretty annoyed when greys anatomy done a glee type episode, seriously, greys does not need a musical.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm here! I didn't think there would be a dumber show than American Idol but apparently I was wrong.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone posting here, but as a band and orchestra geek in high school I was always annoyed by the choir kids. Singing in unison in the hallways while on your way to Chemistry class. No one else wants to hear that crap. Why don't you learn how to actually play an instrument? 85% of them couldn't even sing their way out of a paper bag. :P