Hardest habit to break

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
So, I've been doing this new lifestyle for a couple of months now.

I am very good at eating right. It's not that hard for me fortunately. The first couple of weeks were a challenge with portion control, but now the biggest challenge is actually FINDING healthy food, not getting myself to choose them.
I have been very good at exercise. My motivation level is still really high, so I haven't slacked off on that.

You know what one habit has been hardest for me? Being lazy. More specifically, this sub-conscience habit I have of trying to avoid getting up and getting something immediately when I want/need it. For years I've ingrained the habit of trying to group all the stuff I need to go get at once, to minimize the number of times I need to stand up and sit down. Or even asking my wife or whoever to get something for me "while you're up."

I am working hard to try to break this habit... like when I'm at work I try NOT to go to the bathroom and fill my water bottle on the same trip, even if I could use both.

Anyone else want to share the hardest habit for them? I'm always curious.

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    portion control i am sooo with you there!
    i still have big meals at tea time(5pm)but tend to go for lower cal things like salads,stir frys ect...then you can stuff away! lol
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good one! I do the same thing....I like to think of it as efficient LOL

But my worst habbit is eating after dinner while relaxing. I am the worst, as soon as I hit that couch I feel the need to snack. It sucks.
  • bhepp
    bhepp Posts: 44
    Options
    I totally understand the lazy habit! I do the same thing. I ask my husband and my kids to hand me things, or grab that for me please. I am working on that too :smile:

My number one habit that is the hardest to break is snacking at night. We put the kids to bed and sit down to watch grown up shows and my husband grabs something to snack on so I do to. He is really good at not doing it when I point it out, but I am still super snacky, so I don't say anything. I have done it before though, so I know I can do it again!!
  • IdaMoreno38
    IdaMoreno38 Posts: 105
    Options
    DORITOS are my hardest habit to break!
    I don't go overboard but I love me some Doritos.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My hardest habit is getting INTO an exercise habit. I was doing well running for a few months, and then got slammed with Achilles tendinitis. The food habits are much easier for me to change.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My hardest habit to break is the mindless snacking while I'm reading a book.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I used to send my kids into the store or back into the house if I forgot something, but now I do it myself. At first, it was hard breaking old habits, I caught myself several times asking them to do something I could or should do myself.
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was ready for those changes so really the bad habits were easy to change,the habbit of drinking tons of water was actually the hardest for me. I was never a water drinker, I would just drink tea and soda all day everyday! A month in and -8 lbs!!! I'll drink water :))
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    My hardest habit to break is eating my kids leftovers....adds up fast
  • sarshooter
    sarshooter Posts: 13
    Options
    In a lot of ways I'm right there with you. Not so much the getting up 100 times, but more-so just being able to find the motivation to not just sit around when I could be up doing something that I can count toward my exercise for the day. I need people to push me and keep me accountable and I get that for sure 3 times a week with boot camp and time with my trainer, it's just the "off" time that I find it most difficult to be up doing something and not being lazy. I too am working on this and have had a pretty good week this week although I know I could have been better. I just lean on my husband and family to keep me moving even though I don't want to...as I continue to exercise I do get excited about it and WANT to do it every day, I've just got to get back in to that routine. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Stay strong!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My hardest habit to break was binge eating as I make dinner for the family, then not being able to sit down and eat with them…when I broke that it made all the difference
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm really bad at avoiding sweet food when its in the house. Luckily we don't have biscuits or chocolate or cakes on the house very often but when we do its always in the back of my mind and I almost always give in and eat it.
  • h3h8m3
    Options
    My hardest habit is getting INTO an exercise habit. I was doing well running for a few months, and then got slammed with Achilles tendinitis. The food habits are much easier for me to change.

An injury early on in my weight-loss is my biggest fear about this stuff. If I were to have a knee or ankle problem I am really worried about what it'd do to my progress. I have been taking my running extremely slow just for that reason. If I can't do the easy exercises (my treadmill, stationary bike, or pushups/crunches/etc) I know I just wouldn't exercise.

I find that by waking up earlier and doing my workout before my mind fully wakes up I don't think about whether I want to exercise, I just do it. I am about the worst morning person I know, so this is a pretty huge shift for me.
  • radioloren
    radioloren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So, I've been doing this new lifestyle for a couple of months now.

I am very good at eating right. It's not that hard for me fortunately. The first couple of weeks were a challenge with portion control, but now the biggest challenge is actually FINDING healthy food, not getting myself to choose them.
    I have been very good at exercise. My motivation level is still really high, so I haven't slacked off on that.

You know what one habit has been hardest for me? Being lazy. More specifically, this sub-conscience habit I have of trying to avoid getting up and getting something immediately when I want/need it. For years I've ingrained the habit of trying to group all the stuff I need to go get at once, to minimize the number of times I need to stand up and sit down. Or even asking my wife or whoever to get something for me "while you're up."

I am working hard to try to break this habit... like when I'm at work I try NOT to go to the bathroom and fill my water bottle on the same trip, even if I could use both.

Anyone else want to share the hardest habit for them? I'm always curious.

I do the same thing! Every single night when it's time to feed the cat, I either ask my boyfriend to do it, which he never does btw lol...or I just sit there thinking how long I can put it off for! I don't know why I put it off so much, it seriously take about 1.5 mins. to give her food, medicine and water....but I put it off every single day!

I do the same thing with having to stand up and sit down....I plot it out in my head....like ok, I'm thirsty, but I don't feel like getting up...I'll wait until I have to use the bathroom, then I'll get a drink while I'm up lol! It sounds ridiculous as I'm writing this...but when I go through it in my head, apparently it makes much more sense, cause I do it all the time!
  • haolegurl07
    haolegurl07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think a few of my hardest habits to break were always asking my niece to grab something for me, even if it was just a few feet away, I try my best to get off my butt and get it myself now. And then also, Mindless snacking. I don't just go grab something and snack... But its when Im making my husband's breakfast or lunch or getting London (niece) a snack, I start to take a bite, and when it is close to my lips, I'm like OH NO! I'm not supposed to have this. And I put it down. It's been HARD to remember though! :)
  • haolegurl07
    haolegurl07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was ready for those changes so really the bad habits were easy to change,the habbit of drinking tons of water was actually the hardest for me. I was never a water drinker, I would just drink tea and soda all day everyday! A month in and -8 lbs!!! I'll drink water :))

OMG! me too! I HATED drinking water. I would drink soda or sweet tea all the time, but the thought of drinking water, UGH! I hated it! I'm started to LOVE it now though, and usually drink at least 3 liters a day! And losing lots of weight too! :) I'll take the water also, for those results! :)
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm revising for my final law exams right now and it is SO hard not to snack while I'm doing it. I've been working full time and doing them for about three and a half years. Every other time I'd just snack on biscuits (chocolate hob nobs - yum!) and cheese. Not doing that has SUCKED.
  • h3h8m3
    Options
    What's up with you people eating biscuits? Does that mean something different in England? Here in the US it just means dry bread (kind of like rolls). They're fine and all... but not a major temptation for most I would bet.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I eat a envirokidz organic choc rice bar. Tastes good and only 110 cal. I eat it slow while we watch tv and the slight choc flavor feels like dessert. You can get at Fred Meyers in organic section or at whole foods.
  • skizzizme
    skizzizme Posts: 14
    Options
    I think it is cookies! Right?

7034275.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods