Ho Do You Stay Motivated...

Options
When life gets crazy?

Things have been really stressful and hectic these past 2.5 weeks, and I completely fell off the wagon. I've gained back 5lbs, which is half of the weight I'd worked so hard to lose :(

How do you focus on making healthy choices and exercising when your life goes off the wall? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I feel like poop for slipping up so much :(

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you just have to make yourself even when you don't want too. Believe me, I know what a chaotic life feels like. Mine is always like that and just seems to be getting worse every week. My only source of relief is my exercising; I actually find joy in it when I don't in other areas anymore. Do it for yourself and no one else!!! You will feel much better afterwards.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    I only fill my cabinets and fridge with healthy snacks. I am a emotional eater! If I'm really stressed I swim or get on the bike and ride. Shopping is always fun even if it's just window shopping. I call my best friend, Surround yourself with positive people. One of the things I think about is a friend of mine who was really overweight is now in body building competitions ~ I may never get to that level, but I would like to wear a nice swimsuit one day!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Bump...
    I feel the same way. I'm having troubles balancing life in general! Loved to see what peoplea re saying!
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. There will be weight gains...there will be plateaus..just just it one day at a time. We are human, we are not perfect...Good Luck!
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I really wish I could answer that for you....I've only been doing this for 5 days. However, my life is always crazy (I have twin babies and 2 preteen girls), and this past week I have found that just leaving the house and doing stuff with my kids has really, I mean REALLY kept me from over eating. I know it's all a mind thing, and I know how hard it is to stay motivated....but don't give up on yourself just because you're not "feeling it" at the moment. We can all do this, and from what I'm learning, ups and downs are ok :)

Oh, and another thing that I have found really motivating is looking at the before and after pics in the "success stories" group on here, insane! I have added a lot of people who started where I am, and look amazing and have confidence now!
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    About 5 weeks ago I gained back 2 lbs ( I know its not much) but then I was stuck there until this morning. Over the past 2 weeks people have started asking me again how much weight I have lost now. Since I hadn't lost any and actually gained 2 lbs I just said I have been staying the same, but every time I said it, it made me mad at myself. So I kicked my butt again this week to get back to where I was. I think it was just having to admit that I havn't been progressing to others that got me motivated again. Also, I have a pair of pants that I really want to be able to wear this summer that I can get on and zip, but they don't look great. So I have those hanging up, staring at me.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    For me when there is a lot going on, it comes down to planning ahead. Sometimes even filling out my diary a couple of days in advance and packing everything to take to work the night before so I don't have the option of saying "I didn't have time" or "I was to busy". I also pack my running stuff and take it to work with me so I don't get distracted, which tends to happen if I go home, so I go running right after work, even though it means I won't get home until 7-8. If you just don't have time you can always do little things like take stairs instead of an elevator or park further away from places you have to go, not a huge workout, but better than nothing.
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    For me it is having someone to do it with you. My wife and I now take out date time to the gym and she gets up in the morning to run with me. She calls me and I her to make sure we are staying on the plan. You need to have someone that is working with you ... accountability!
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone here that needs a P90X Workout Buddy via Skype or Oovoo? If you have accountability issues...like myself......virtual workout partners is the next best thing :-) If interested let me know. I have both P90X and P90X Plus :-)
  • tiffanepiphany
    tiffanepiphany Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's easier said than done, but I suggest distracting yourself from the chaos by focusing in on the things you can control (like sticking to your fitness/weightloss plan). Try to remember that the craziness will pass and once it does, you don't want to have completely ruined all your progress. You can come out of it a stronger person by weathering the storm like a soldier. When you feel things getting hectic, become extra dedicated to planning your meals and getting some kind of workout in (as time permits). The exercise will help keep your mood in balance and you'll still at least feel good about staying on track even while the s&*^ is hitting the fan in other aspects of life. Make sure to pray/meditate- even if its not your thing, just try it. Take just a few moments to nurture yourself. Most of all, go ahead and forgive yourself for the 5lbs you gained back and put yourself back on track immediately to do well for the rest of the day and onward.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I just go look in the mirror. Either I feel better b/c I have been doing so good or I motivate myself to get back on the wagon so I can continue my weight loss. I also can look back at a fat picture. Now that's motivation. I also will make sure I am not going over calories for the week. Come days I go over, but overall my calories are right on for the week. Sometimes if I am doing bad I post on here what my plan or goal is to get back on track then i feel forced to do it since I put it out there.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The "I just want to take a nap" battle is one that I CONSTANTLY fight. I have to remind myself that I will feel better (and less guilty) after I do it. I also fight the "I'll just eat this one cheat meal" battle. I don't know if it's phsychosomatic or what, but I often feel like I've taken a few steps backward.

And nothing comes free--especially not fitness and/or a great body (at least not for me, it's literally not in my DNA.

If you want it, you have to WORK for it.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    For me, when I'm presented with a choice, I try really hard to remind myself of all the good that I've done and how crummy I will feel if I take a step backward. I know it's not always easy to choose carrot sticks over potato chips, but you have to remind yourself of what you want to achieve in the end. I really try not to give in to those temptations. Just one slip up can leave you feeling defeated.
    I always try to plan my meals in the morning. I enter it all into MFP and then I know how many calories I have to play around with for snacks and whatnot.
    And the biggest thing for me - if you DO have a bad day or the scale moves in the wrong direction, use THAT as your motivation to do better the next day.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    This is the # one thing I do now to keep me motivated, on track and helps me avoid making a bad food decision-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVVsDIv98TA
  • mistyrider
    mistyrider Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I made it out of the house this morning and did my C25K workout for the first time in three weeks :)

I'm a single mom, so finding time to myself to exercise is a bit of a challenge!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Almost a year into this journey I've learned life will ALWAYS be crazy, it's life ;) I do not have "junk" food in the house anymore so even if I really fall off the wagon it's not NEARLY as bad as it would be if I had bad stuff in the house. I also can not physically eat like I used to or I get sick.

So I FORCE myself to do my workouts and eat well no matter what. Even if that means a Lean Cuisine for lunch to stay in calories, it's quick and easy from the freezer. I plan meals a week in advance for dinners so I can prep things ahead of time when things are less crazy.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    my motivation is pictures... I will go back and look at pictures from my highest weight... I look at pictures from more recently where I have actually started noticing a little that I'm losing weight and I look at how much happier I am... I have actually went, took off my shirt and stared at myself in the mirror when I would feel completely like giving up and just eating whatever b/c I was so tired...this works for me too.... but usually pictures do the trick... Also I will say keep measuring yourself, if you aren't seeing the scales move and you are getting frustrated and ready to give up, try maybe not weighing in for a few weeks and just measuring yourself and see how that works for you... sometimes you may not be losing weight but losing inches... others find they want to weigh everyday as a motivator... you just have to find what works for you... I know I never want to be embarassed to take a picture again... I also want to be a good example for my daughter...go back to the basics and figure out why you decided to go on this journey to begin with.... and also the success stories on MFP is a huge motivator for me...seeing how far others have come always helps me want to stay motivated b/c I know it's possible for me... so sometimes if I feel like giving up, i'll go look at others successes which then motivates me to try to do the same thing.... find you an accountability partner... Someone that will push you to log your calories, move forward, it's great if you can find a few of these in real life... I have a few and it makes a world of difference... I let everyone around me know i'm trying to lose weight, if htey see me eating things I shouldn't be they are sure to comment on it :) Good luck on this journey!!!
  • BAYBBAY
    BAYBBAY Posts: 1
    Options
    Some days it is harder than others. I fell off the wagon after going to the beach with my kids and parents over Memorial day. It was just much easier to eat pizza and junk eat day.

My problem is that for me one bite is the end. I am a perfectionist so for me, One bite it is not a taste it is a failure so then what is the use?!

I decided to cut myself some slack. I am doing my best each day. Yesterday we went to the movies with the kids and an Atkins bar with me. I got the big popcorn for the kids and Dh and got a huge Diet coke for me. I resisted the popcorn. I don't know how but I did, When it was really bad I ate my bar. I figured that the Diet coke was not the best choice but it was much much better than the alternative. My motivation? THE POOL.

I hate that I have a bigger suit than last year, I hate that I feel like a whale at the pool. I hate that I slacked off on exercising.

So motivation for me comes and goes but I decided that there is a new reason each day to find, If I look hard enough..
  • tuacsmm
    tuacsmm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time and don't get discouraged. "Encourage yourself" and don't let this cause you not to continue on your journey. You can do this, even if it takes baby steps.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm still newly into this but my motivations are: #1 Knowing I WILL lose the weight, and this will all be worth it. I already feel better, I already have more energy, and I'm already seeing the benefits even though the weight loss hasn't really begun. That's enough to keep my going because I don't want to go back to feeling the way I was just a week ago.

#2--I found a BEAUTIFUL top that's sexy and pretty at Goodwill. I know the brand, it's actually from Macy's and way outside of my budget to purchase brand new. It's too tight for me right now, and requires wearing a belt to show off my waist. I have it hanging where I can see it daily and I want to look good in it for my 20 year class reunion in August.

#3--I have a closet full of awesome clothes just waiting for me to fit into again. They are from 4 years ago and I was only able to wear them for a short time so they're in like-new condition.

#4--I'm 38 but am mistaken for 28 most of the time. I'd like to take advantage of my young looking skin and appearance while I can still pass for mid to late 20's. LOL. If I could lose weight, I'd look even younger. Right now it's my weight that keeps me looking a little older. It's pure vanity, but it's still a good motivation. I know in a few more years I'll start to develop some wrinkles and will no longer have an opportunity to fool people with my age. :D