What anti-itch medicine do you use?

Options
equivocalbeauty
equivocalbeauty Posts: 15 Member
I've always had a hyper-sensitive reaction to any kind of bug bite. A good example would be the time my mom's cat got fleas. I looked like I had the chicken pox by the time she got rid of all the fleas. And to make things worse, if I scratch any bug bite I get, it seems to double in size within 24 hours. I try really hard not to scratch them, but I can't help that I scratch them in my sleep lol.

Anyway, back to my question. What anti-itch medicine do you use for bug bites? Have you found anything that works especially well or especially quickly? I'm also not opposed to trying home remedies, but in all honesty I probably won't try anything that has a lot of obscure ingredients. I've tried every type of Benadryl from the tablet to the cream to the spray and none of them seems to work very well for me. I also bought an After Bite stick that works better than the Benadryl, but it still doesn't totally stop the itching. I've got my first two bites of the summer and they're already driving me insane! I definitely appreciate any suggestions you guys have!

Replies

• sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    The after bite is the only thing that works well for me, you just have to apply it more often. Even then it wears off in the middle of the night sigh.....
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    cortisone cream and benadryl.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cortaid cream! I would *die* in the summer without it.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Tea tree oil all the way baby!!!!! I used it on my kids growing up and I still use it today...it's also good if you put a drop at the base of each toe nail, it kills bacteria and fungus and your toes will be pretty!:happy: :happy:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I use the Benadryl kind.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    cortisone cream and benadryl.

Same here. and an\ oral antihistamine fro tough cases or lots of bites. Should have seen my hand from the three corners fly(deerfly) that bit me last weak. I had to ice and compress it get use of my fingers back 'cuz the swelling was so bad.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Windex... no really. After Bites active ingredient is ammonia same with Windex lol
    Hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl orally also work :)
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    Windex ASAP after you get the bite. Strange, I know.
  • 42raven
    42raven Posts: 3
    Options
    I would go with the TECHNU products designed for poison ivy. I am sensitive to that and these products work great. There is a wash and a clear cream.
  • 42raven
    42raven Posts: 3
    Options
    I would go with the TECHNU products designed for poison ivy. I am sensitive to that and these products work great. There is a wash and a clear cream.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Belt sander